HD598's - Are they good for Heavy Metal/Rock/Deathcore/Dubstep?
Aug 14, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #76 of 84

Quote:
I'd tell my experience with the hd595 instead : I've never managed to enjoy any of the genre you mentionned in these headphones.
They are great for listening relaxing stuff on them, but it was hard to get any excitement. The sound is good but somehow something kills the feeling .
Maybe the hd598 are better, but I'm not convinced they are worth to get (at lest for the genres you mentionned) .
Now if you don't want to fall in a deep coma sleep, while listening to metal I suggest you look at something else.

Thats spot on right there, they are VERY boring headphones, ive got them on right now - Only good for low level listening of music i enjoy, and they dont change when u crank em still very boring

Aug 14, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #78 of 84

Quote:
thanks guys, I was about to make quite a mistake by getting these, now I have totally no idea what headphones are good for me though

The HD598s are decent in every category except bass impact. People that didn't like the HD598 either wanted more bass or more treble. It doesn't lack in treble, but some trebleheads out there want it. I personally wanted more bass impact and a more natural midrange. I don't think I could have gotten what I wanted at the $180 price, especially with an open headphone.

Aug 15, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #79 of 84
Guys I have one more question, is it possible to distinguish between the newest version of HD598s and the old one with the headband cracking issue? I'm thinking about getting these but the cracking issue deters me from it. Also, if I live in Poland can I still get the replacement unit if my headphones get cracked? 

Aug 15, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #80 of 84

Quote:
 I personally wanted more bass impact and a more natural midrange.

I  got a little  doubt after reading your comments. Because I  usually think that the strongest point of the hd595 are the mids. I  just realized that using some amping might help to boost a little the bass, but at the same times harm the overall clarity. I've just disabled the amping , i.e the "high gain"  setting of my xonar stx after reading your comment. You might as well get a "more natural" midrange on your hd598 after disabling/reducing amping.

Aug 15, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #81 of 84

Quote:
I  got a little  doubt after reading your comments. Because I  usually think that the strongest point of the hd595 are the mids. I  just realized that using some amping might help to boost a little the bass, but at the same times harm the overall clarity. I've just disabled the amping , i.e the "high gain"  setting of my xonar stx after reading your comment. You might as well get a "more natural" midrange on your hd598 after disabling/reducing amping.

Yes, the strong point of the HD598 is probably the mids. There's nothing wrong with my amping. I was only using my Anedio D1 DAC which is great for headphones with low impedance.

The midrange is only a problem if you've heard better headphones, say over twice its price. As I said, it's a great headphone for the $180 US price.

Aug 16, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #82 of 84

Quote:
Guys I have one more question, is it possible to distinguish between the newest version of HD598s and the old one with the headband cracking issue? I'm thinking about getting these but the cracking issue deters me from it. Also, if I live in Poland can I still get the replacement unit if my headphones get cracked? 

They all should have been replaced by now.  I hear that Sennheiser has been on top of this issue, and offers good replacement warranties.  My 598s have yet to break, and I'm not exactly gentle with them. 

Aug 20, 2011 at 1:16 AM Post #83 of 84

Quote:

The HD598s are decent in every category except bass impact. People that didn't like the HD598 either wanted more bass or more treble. It doesn't lack in treble, but some trebleheads out there want it. I personally wanted more bass impact and a more natural midrange. I don't think I could have gotten what I wanted at the $180 price, especially with an open headphone.

Agreed, sennheiser really put em self up front, the new version of 5xx series are fabulous, but it's probably not great for metal. 
I wonder though when would they upgrade the former flagships lol, that would be very interesting to see. 

Aug 20, 2011 at 5:10 AM Post #84 of 84
The HD-598 doesn't have a natural mid-range? Wow, this is news to me 
confused_face_2.gif

I don't think I've heard a more natural sounding mid-range at this price point yet. Not even with the K601, but close.
Of course I have the super deluxe Mogami $3.99 Recabled edition, so that sort of clears up a lot of it's problems.

Hard to say if I'd rather live with only the K601 or the HD-598. If it was a stock HD-598, I'd take the K601. When recabled the 598 without a doubt I think.
Even over an HD-600 or 650 without any doubt.

Now over the K501? Probably not!

Biggest negative of the 598 is it's sound clarity with stock cable. It's good, but not great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back