HD598 Review | Jack of all Trades
Aug 3, 2011 at 1:20 PM Post #62 of 74

Quote:
Hi guys does Fiio Portable amp (E11) able to drive HD598 well or any recommended amp?

Was looking at ibrasso but not sure if it's too overkill on a 50ohm headset

The HD598 do not necessarily need any amp. As stated, the headphones will run fine out of practically any device. An amplifier might help the sound, depending on the amp, but one is not mandatory.

Now a question from me. How do the HD598 compare to the HD580? Substitute HD600 if you wish since I've read they are nearly the same, but I am mainly trying to decide between the first two. 

Aug 3, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #63 of 74

Quote:
Hi guys does Fiio Portable amp (E11) able to drive HD598 well or any recommended amp?

Was looking at ibrasso but not sure if it's too overkill on a 50ohm headset

Portable amps are never overkill because they barely ever do anything, especially if you have a player like a Cowon S9/J3.

Aug 3, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #64 of 74

Quote:

Portable amps are never overkill because they barely ever do anything, especially if you have a player like a Cowon S9/J3.

100% disagree with this based on my experience, but it varies between headphones. I do think spending $300+ on a portable amp seems a bit overkill, but you usually get what you pay for. I'd much rather invest in a desktop amp. Some people though want a portable amp that they can travel with and actually drive an HD-600 decently! At least I think people do this! I don't travel enough to want to haul around my big headphones though.

For the 598 I felt it did benefit from my Total Airhead even when using my Ipod Touch. The Ipod Touch can drive a lot of headphones quite well, but not all of them. I still think for very good bass, an amp for the HD-598 is a must.

I think there's a lot of "portable" headphones that will not be at it's best even out of larger portable players without a powerful portable amp. One is the DT-880 32 ohm. Yes, you read that right. Then there's the D2000. I don't know why, but I disliked that headphone even from portable amps and it seemed to love desktop amps for whatever reason. I would love it if there is a portable player that can drive my DJ100 extremely well without an amp. My Ipod Touch can't.

Some portable amps are junk and worthless though. I've had some good portable amps. My favorite is the Total Airhead. That thing can even drive the HD-600 quite well! No over-voltage light blinking at all ever. Sometimes during bass heavy songs.

With the HD-598 I have my doubts if there will be a big increase in sound going from a $99 portable amp to a $300 one. My HD-598 didn't seem to benefit  much from amp upgrades like the HD-650 did.

BTW I don't know if they'll sound fine out of ANY device. There is a 275 ohm spike at 100hz based on Headroom's graph. It depends on the music.
I just don't suggest a 1gb dollar store mp3 player to drive it.
normal_smile%20.gif
or a phone...

Aug 3, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #65 of 74

Quote:
100% disagree with this based on my experience, but it varies between headphones. I do think spending $300+ on a portable amp seems a bit overkill, but you usually get what you pay for. I'd much rather invest in a desktop amp. Some people though want a portable amp that they can travel with and actually drive an HD-600 decently! At least I think people do this! I don't travel enough to want to haul around my big headphones though.

For the 598 I felt it did benefit from my Total Airhead even when using my Ipod Touch. The Ipod Touch can drive a lot of headphones quite well, but not all of them. I still think for very good bass, an amp for the HD-598 is a must.

I think there's a lot of "portable" headphones that will not be at it's best even out of larger portable players without a powerful portable amp. One is the DT-880 32 ohm. Yes, you read that right. Then there's the D2000. I don't know why, but I disliked that headphone even from portable amps and it seemed to love desktop amps for whatever reason. I would love it if there is a portable player that can drive my DJ100 extremely well without an amp. My Ipod Touch can't.

Some portable amps are junk and worthless though. I've had some good portable amps. My favorite is the Total Airhead. That thing can even drive the HD-600 quite well! No over-voltage light blinking at all ever. Sometimes during bass heavy songs.

With the HD-598 I have my doubts if there will be a big increase in sound going from a $99 portable amp to a $300 one. My HD-598 didn't seem to benefit  much from amp upgrades like the HD-650 did.

BTW I don't know if they'll sound fine out of ANY device. There is a 275 ohm spike at 100hz based on Headroom's graph. It depends on the music.
I just don't suggest a 1gb dollar store mp3 player to drive it.
normal_smile%20.gif
or a phone...

Did you ever use a Cowon? I was fine listening to an AKG K701 and even a Sennheiser HD800 with it.

Aug 3, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #67 of 74
From what I have read and seen a lot of people aren't happy with these due to lack of bass and shoddy build quality for the money.
If I am paying £170-£200 for these I want good strong build quality and good bass there are loads of phones I'd rather have for the money.

Aug 3, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #68 of 74

Quote:
From what I have read and seen a lot of people aren't happy with these due to lack of bass and shoddy build quality for the money.
If I am paying £170-£200 for these I want good strong build quality and good bass there are loads of phones I'd rather have for the money.

I only paid $175 USD and the bass is a bit less than neutral. The soundstage, detail, and balance of sound is extremely competitive at that price.

Aug 4, 2011 at 3:07 AM Post #69 of 74
While I must admit that compared to the Ultrasone, which is build like a tank, the HD598 are a bit more delicate but far from being flimsy. They travelled around the world with me, just thrown in a bag, no issues whatsoever. They are sturdier constructed than you might think. The only issue WAS (past tense) is the headband cracking. This is fixed for over a year now and even if you have one that cracks Sennheiser will replace them. I absolutely love their sound signature. It's MY favorite headphone.

Aug 4, 2011 at 10:11 AM Post #70 of 74
Over here in uk senns are much more expensive which just makes them totally unviable as a headphone choice.
Over here they are anywhere from £170-£200 which is like $270-$330 ish so i'd imagine had they cost you $300 you wouldn't be so impressed no ? compare that to you can buy m50's for £105 and beyerdynamic dt770/990 for £135 I wouldn't go near these at anything much over £100.

Oct 4, 2011 at 1:52 AM Post #71 of 74
I wanted to get the HD598 for my first pair of cans initially but the price at amazon had been increased recently so now I'm with three choices, HD598, DT880 Pro and DT990 Pro.
The thing that made me want to buy the HD598 in the first place is how it is amazing at vocals. I listen to female vocals a lot, so that is one important factor. But then again, I also listen to electronica, instrumental and ambient so I'd really like to know which pair does a better job overall. From what I've read, DT990 has better bass and highs while DT880 and HD598 are balanced. Anyway, I'd like to know how the DT880 and DT990 compare to the HD598 in terms of overall balance, clarity, bass, ability to do vocals and soundstage. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Nov 8, 2011 at 6:42 AM Post #73 of 74

Quote:
Let’s get this out of the way right now. This is the best all-purpose headphone I’ve ever used. And not just for music either. I’m talking music, movies, and games. Their extremely likeable and unfatiguing sound makes them ace nearly any kind of music you throw at them; their huge and precise soundstage gives you the advantage in competitive gaming while enhancing any gaming experience; and their unbelievable comfort makes watching hours of your favorite movies or shows a breeze. Due to their insane versatility, these would be the absolute first headphone I would recommend to anyone looking for a solid performer in all aspects. For those looking for just one headphone to use for everything, this is it. They seriously kick butt in just about every regard, making them truly worthy to be qualified as the jack of all trades.

[..] In fact, I’ll just say it now; these are easily one of the most comfortable headphones I’ve ever worn, and possibly *the* most comfortable. An

But now, we approach the inevitable. How does the HD598 sound and what makes it so special?

I’ll tell you what makes it special. It simply doesn’t do anything wrong. The sound as a whole is well, whole. Nothing is missing, nothing steps out of line. Bass is here, yet the least present of the trio. Many will complain it’s not enough. Well, it’s enough. If it had any more bass it wouldn’t be nearly as good of an all-arounder, because it would start rendering classical, jazz, and orchestral works overbearing because of the bass. The midrange is definitely here and possibly the most present of the three. Vocals sound stellar on these folks. And the midrange really makes the entire sound come together as a whole, giving the music more life and realism. And finally we have the treble, and it’s here too. But it’s not your ordinary treble; this is some of the most special treble I’ve ever experienced in a headphone. 
. The HD598 somehow manages to have a brighter overall sound signature, which gives it a good chunk of the qualities of good treble, yet it simply does not fatigue the slightest. I’ve never had it cross into sibilance; never have been irritated by piercing highs; and I never once thought about wishing it would cool down a bit, like I frequently think with the slightest of bright headphones. I honestly don’t know how the engineers at Sennheiser did it, but they seemed to have pulled of some of the most wonderful treble I've ever listened to. It's smooth, it's alive, yet it knows it's place.

[...]That said, the HD598 excels wonderfully. The soundstage on these is some of the biggest I’ve ever heard in any headphone, and that includes the K701 and AD700. Typically, headphones with a huge soundstage that I’ve had in the past, had bass that was seriously lacking, but these seem to get it just right by having a huge soundstage on top of having plenty of bass. That alone is something I find hard to achieve -- enough bass, with enough soundstage; yet the HD598 once again pulls it off.

[...]

There is just too much to like about the HD598. I classify it as the best all-arounder, multi-purpose headphone that I have ever had the privilege to listen to. It’s just one of those headphones that are a joy to own, because there is always something that it can be great at. And it's flexible enough that it can *always* be used for something, if not everything. Whether using it for it’s superb long term comfort, utilizing it’s expansive soundstage to gain an edge in gaming, or just simply to enjoy tunes with it’s very special sound signature; the HD598 is sure to impress just about anyone in some aspect or another. Quite the achievement by Sennheiser if you ask me.

Thank you so much for a well-written and fair review. When I started doing research on this forum, I started to feel confused by my options, but after pressing on, my options have been narrowed down and it looks like I will pull the trigger on the HD598 once I find a really good offer. The thing that gets me is that while there might be some gripes, it does everything well and doesn't offend. Like you said, it might not be "best-in-class" in any one department like some of the competition, but it does so many things so well - and I would choose that.

thanks again for your efforts!

Nov 10, 2011 at 8:30 PM Post #74 of 74
Just wanted to throw in an update on these. Many of you know I sold my HD598 many months ago, to make room for other headphone purchases. But fast forward to today, and I'm still empty handed. No full sized really impressed me enough in sound and price for me to keep. But, in my desperation to use something besides my AD700 for Battlefield 3, I knew I there were two headphones I had to try again. So I bought the HD598 once more, and also the AD900. Both have arrived today, and I've had plenty of time to use each of them for Batllefield 3 as well as music. Turns out, I am still to this day very impressed by the HD598, even after everything else I've heard in the past few months. Thus, I will be keeping it as my official headphone. Quite a feat, considering I haven't kept a single full sized headphone in my 2 year journey (besides my very first and special AD700 I got for Christmas). AD900 is still a good headphone, but it's simply too thin in comparison to the HD598, mostly due to the lack of bass and brighter treble; rendering Battlefield 3 an entirely different sounding game. So the HD598 it is, and I plan on keeping it until the end of days. Thank goodness, it's finally over!

This is probably my only remaining review I still agree with 100%. These are everything I've wished for and wanted in a headphone. And for $180, I find that an excellent bargain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back