HD595+E7+E9 - looking for more
Dec 23, 2010 at 10:27 AM Post #16 of 44
I get it. It seems that there's a bigger difference than what I (not) heard with the HD595 unamped/amped. 

Also, I'm starting to believe that once you're into HD595 teritory you run into diminishing returns indeed, like Elanzer said a couple of posts back. Most likely 650 won't sound "twice" as good as the 595, assuming that anyone would be able to measure what twice as good mean. 

I need a second pair of phones anyway, so keep them coming (the comments and recommendations). 

Dec 23, 2010 at 1:09 PM Post #17 of 44

Quote:
I get it. It seems that there's a bigger difference than what I (not) heard with the HD595 unamped/amped. 

Also, I'm starting to believe that once you're into HD595 teritory you run into diminishing returns indeed, like Elanzer said a couple of posts back. Most likely 650 won't sound "twice" as good as the 595, assuming that anyone would be able to measure what twice as good mean. 

I need a second pair of phones anyway, so keep them coming (the comments and recommendations). 

When you listen to the HD 595, could you say to yourself, "This isn't audio nirvana, but I think I can see it from here."?  If not, then there would in fact be a pretty big difference betwixt 595 and 650.

There are universes of difference between SR80i and HD 650. / hyperbole

Dec 23, 2010 at 2:30 PM Post #18 of 44
When you listen to the HD 595, could you say to yourself, "This isn't audio nirvana, but I think I can see it from here."?  If not, then there would in fact be a pretty big difference betwixt 595 and 650.

That just made my head spin. I read that sentence about ten times before I could make some sense out of it. I think it's a pretty clever of putting it, but how could you know that if you didn't hear the 595?

When I listen to 595 I know almost exactly what I want to be different: more bass, with better attack, slightly less piercing trebbles (It seems that I'm starting to catch on the lingo after reading a couple thousands posts here). More soundstage; ok, some soundstage, as I'm not sure there's any with the 595. Instrument separation.

The more reviews I read, the more I think the HD650 are what I want... except when I read about "the veil"... what's with the veil? I don't want the veil. 

Dec 23, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #19 of 44

Quote:

That just made my head spin. I read that sentence about ten times before I could make some sense out of it. I think it's a pretty clever of putting it, but how could you know that if you didn't hear the 595?

When I listen to 595 I know almost exactly what I want to be different: more bass, with better attack, slightly less piercing trebbles (It seems that I'm starting to catch on the lingo after reading a couple thousands posts here). More soundstage; ok, some soundstage, as I'm not sure there's any with the 595. Instrument separation.

The more reviews I read, the more I think the HD650 are what I want... except when I read about "the veil"... what's with the veil? I don't want the veil. 

To me, the veil simply means that the highs don't pierce your eardrums.  To my mind, in a live performance the highs, because of their short-wavelengths - they hit 'faster' but with less total power than the mids or the bass.  High frequency sound waves decay rapidly over space.  If you're seated or standing over the violin, you'll hear much more urgency to the highs, but your sense of the spaciousness of the arrangement is diminished because you are right in the midst of the orchestra - your vantage point is not the ideal vantage point to which the composition is 'aimed' by the composer.  To me, this helps create the spaciousness of the soundstage.  A 'good' rock or pop producer recreates this by the mixdown sometimes, actually.

What is your ideal vantage point?  Do you want to feel like you are playing with the band?  Grados are said to achieve this by the immediacy of their sound.  Truly, even just with the SR80i - the 'immediacy' of the sound is intense.  The mids feel lightning fast and the highs are right there in your face (truth be told, I always had to EQ the highs down on the SR80i).  That immediacy sacrifices a 'big picture' idea of the composition.  By contrast, the HD 650 makes you feel like you're actually in a space listening to the band.  I can't compare soundstages except with the cans I've heard and that list is shockingly small.  Senn HD 497 (older discontinued can), Grado SR80i, Ety 6, Shure E2, and some crap bluetooth 'headphones' (Bah!  Hate to use the term to grace these Jaybirds - the bandwith is too small for any sort of fidelity with BT, IMHO).

So, take into account - my opinion is, to use an audiophile term, quite 'colored' by my limited experience.

The lowdown is this - did the HD 595 give you a 'revelatory' experience?  Did they make you think that, by God, you've not been hearing half of your music?  Or are they just a clearer version of whatever you'd listened to before?  The SR80i were that for me - a clearer, slightly different version of what I'd heard before with diminished (but not completely unsatisfactory) bass and very 'fluid' mids.  But they didn't make me fantasize about how much BETTER it could be like the HD 650 - I'm already plotting out a budget for LCD-2s and maybe the Icon HDP DAC/Amp/pre-amp - this is only because the HD 650s make me realize just what is possible.

In my opinion, all cans below the quality (but not necessarily the same house sound) of the HD 650 should just be burned (except maybe for 'fun' experiences with techno or something).  I say that because before the HD 650, I wasn't really listening to any sort of even semi-accurate representation of the music.  I hear breath intakes now, whole subtle vocal underpinnings below the prominent vocals of a track, percussive emphasis where another, sometimes odd, percussive instrument emphasizes parts of the percussion (I'd have been able to hear it with worse phones if they were off-setting the main percussion, but with worse phones, they get buried in the 'broad strokes' of the main percussion if they're played in sync with it).

So, if you're going to that level of expenditure I really don't know if the other cans at that price point match the 'bang-for-the-buck' in just getting one excited about music and the sheer possibilities.

Keep in mind, I haven't heard the other players in the field, though.  If you like the 'Senn sound', the HD 650s are definitely more and then some.  Space is introduced.  There is clarity of all ranges of the music without bass and mid-bass muddying up the middles; highs that, although they don't soar to Grado-levels of ear-splitting-ness, are still quite 'detachable' from the rest of the arrangement in a good recording.  There is the first recognition of spaciousness around the different instruments and frequencies.

If you have 128k mp3s, though - just delete them.  The HD 650 is forgiving, but even with the supposed 'veil', the highs are ragged, the mids washed out, and the bass is floppy or ..... 'fuzzy' with lower quality files.  My friend has better ears and she could hear the difference between iTunes tracks and Amazon tracks where I never could - now with these cans, it's frustrating to listen to 128k mp3 or aac.

I hope I haven't revved you up to hear a super-sonic miracle with the HD 650s - but if you get them, I'm pretty confident that you'll at least have an inkling of what a sonic-miracle of reproduction may sound like.

Dec 23, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #20 of 44
Do yourself a favor and upgrade to a higher end sennheiser model like everyone else here is saying.  The HD595's barely get an improvement with an amp and I know that from first hand experience. The instant I tried the HD600/HD650 I knew they were in a totally different league and that was even without even amping them correctly. 

Dec 23, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #21 of 44
Agreed, though i found them thin sounding from my ipod. Lol @ some idiot who suggested a mod for the HD595 because he thought "they had the same drivers"

Quote:
Do yourself a favor and upgrade to a higher end sennheiser model like everyone else here is saying.  The HD595's barely get an improvement with an amp and I know that from first hand experience. The instant I tried the HD600/HD650 I knew they were in a totally different league and that was even without even amping them correctly. 

Dec 24, 2010 at 2:21 AM Post #22 of 44

Quote:
Agreed, though i found them thin sounding from my ipod. Lol @ some idiot who suggested a mod for the HD595 because he thought "they had the same drivers"

Quote:

You think they don't? The replacement parts for the HD555 and HD595 are all the same, and you can see the internals for yourself: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/403963/sennheiser-hd555-and-hd595-internal-comparison-shots

Dec 24, 2010 at 2:52 AM Post #23 of 44

Quote:
Do yourself a favor and upgrade to a higher end sennheiser model like everyone else here is saying.  

Yeah, time is gold. Proceed to better headphones ASAP.
biggrin.gif

Dec 24, 2010 at 3:06 AM Post #24 of 44
I have two pairs currently, modded sr80i's and ultrasone pro 750's

both not very hard to drive.

the grados get a bit more impact on the mid-low end but not a lot is gained from the e7/e9 combo compared to straight from my computers headphone jack.

Now, the 750's have a very noticeable jump, improved sound stage, clarity, bass impact and highs sparkle more. It really opens up them to the point where i was rather bored and hadn't touched my 750's in a few months to me listening to them on a daily basis now.

It makes me want to upgrade to headphones that really benefit from amplification.

I believe that if i went and purchased hd650s or the like i would just end up wanting more.. so i'm saving for Audeze LCD-2's and saving myself some time.

i suggest you do the same :D

Dec 24, 2010 at 3:10 AM Post #25 of 44

Quote:
It makes me want to upgrade to headphones that really benefit from amplification.  

This is a bright idea. If we really want to explore the headphone business-simply grab a headphone that will benefit from different amplifiers. This will be the roller coaster ride we want to do!

Dec 24, 2010 at 3:36 AM Post #26 of 44

Quote:
Quote:
Do yourself a favor and upgrade to a higher end sennheiser model like everyone else here is saying.  

Yeah, time is gold. Proceed to better headphones ASAP.
biggrin.gif

Yea definitely upgrade to the Senn HD600/650's.  I owned the 595's for a couple years and the first time I heard the HD600 I wanted to punch myself in the face for not spending the extra $50 and getting the HD600's in the first place.  At least with the HD600/650's you skip the lower tier of headphones and go straight into where the performance is at.  Not saying the HD595 isn't a good phone but you'll notice the difference right away.

Dec 24, 2010 at 4:11 AM Post #27 of 44
This forum is just fantastic. I'm so glad I asked. Thank you all guys. 

Now, with the 595 it's exactly like disatermouse says - It is a definite improvement, but just in terms of being more clear, they're not really revelatory, I'm not hearing things I haven't heard before and so on. 

Audeze - yeah, I get the message. But I'm really not ready to step into 1000USD+ teritory. Particularly as that's 1000+ just for the cans; once you get there you double or triple that on amps, dac's, cables, etc. Probably it's good to have a learning curve. I did the same with cameras; I had an entry-level Pentax for about 4 years before I stepped up to the high-end model at that moment (K7). When I did, I was really able to appreciate what the higher-end camera had to offer (a lot). And now I'm done with that, I can't imagine needing another camera for quite a while. I assume it's going to be the same with cans. Or with wines :wink:, you really need to learn a lot before you can appreciate the more expensive ones. 

I think I'm sold. I'll probably order the 650 from that ebay Senn' dealer. I think 328USD is as good a price as it ever gets. I won't get them until January though, but I'll be back with my impressions. 

Dec 24, 2010 at 5:35 AM Post #28 of 44

Quote:
This forum is just fantastic. I'm so glad I asked. Thank you all guys. 

Now, with the 595 it's exactly like disatermouse says - It is a definite improvement, but just in terms of being more clear, they're not really revelatory, I'm not hearing things I haven't heard before and so on. 

Audeze - yeah, I get the message. But I'm really not ready to step into 1000USD+ teritory. Particularly as that's 1000+ just for the cans; once you get there you double or triple that on amps, dac's, cables, etc. Probably it's good to have a learning curve. I did the same with cameras; I had an entry-level Pentax for about 4 years before I stepped up to the high-end model at that moment (K7). When I did, I was really able to appreciate what the higher-end camera had to offer (a lot). And now I'm done with that, I can't imagine needing another camera for quite a while. I assume it's going to be the same with cans. Or with wines :wink:, you really need to learn a lot before you can appreciate the more expensive ones. 

I think I'm sold. I'll probably order the 650 from that ebay Senn' dealer. I think 328USD is as good a price as it ever gets. I won't get them until January though, but I'll be back with my impressions. 

Great choice man, I'm sure you'll be real happy with your decision once you hear them. 

Jan 7, 2011 at 7:10 AM Post #29 of 44
HD650 ordered today! I'll be in the US all next week, then when I get back i'll let you guys know what I think. 
Oh, and I'm getting the Denon AH-D2000 as well for my birthday 
gs1000.gif

Then one of the three (595, 650, D2000) will have to go. Or maybe not...?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back