HD595+E7+E9 - looking for more
Dec 22, 2010 at 4:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

dnmtsn

New Head-Fier
As I said here, I just got the HD595 and an E7+E9 combo and I am quite disapointed at the lack of improvement. I am not bashing Fiio, I think they make great products and I must say that the delivery was phenomenal: 3 UK pounds for shipping to Romania, from UK, in one week? I couldn't believe it, but they did arrive exactly when Fiio said they will. 

So, in spite of myself not hearing much of an improvement, I am sure the E7+E9 are excellent products. I rather think the problem is with the headphones. Not that they're bad headphones, I like them, but the HD595 really don't benefit much from amplification. Of course, reading this forum, lots of people say they do, some even say they need it, but I have to disagree. Amplification doesn't do anything for me with these 'phones. 

So here I am, with a 200USD paper weight that doesn't improve my listening experience. What to do? Of course, I could sell the amp, but I'm not here for that kind of advice. What I am looking for is advice on a pair of cans that would REALLY benefit from amplification. And by benefiting, I don't only mean that I will definitely HEAR a significant difference between straight out of computer compared to E7+E9; I also want them to be a significant improvement from the HD595. If that's not possible, then there's really no point in keeping the amp for me.

I am looking specifically for a little more bass, but I don't want boomy bass, I want it tight and well defined. I want to hear the attack on each note on the double bass in a small jazz combo for example. I think I also want more soundstage. I can't hear any with the HD595. I think I'm happy with mids and trebles, but I don't know much. 

I am listening mainly to acoustic jazz and classical. So, please help me get my "eargasm"; my epiphany; my head-fi nirvana. You know what I mean. I want my jaw-dropping moment. Please. I am willing to spend up to 350USD on another pair of cans, while keeping the E7+E9. I'm not sure if I would sell the HD595 as I need cans for home as well, but that's a different matter. I'll be travelling to New York in January, so i'll buy from the US, so please consider current US prices when making recommendations. 

Another important point is comfort; I find the 595 very comfortable, I can wear them for hours without any problem so I want something at least similar, if not better in terms of comfort.

Portability is not important, nor is sound isolation. 

So, what cans am I looking for? HD600? HD650? others? 

Thanks. 

Dec 22, 2010 at 4:38 AM Post #2 of 44
I have the E7 + E9 combo and a pair of HD650's. I'm very happy with the sound.

I've had the HD650's for nearly two years now, but I bought the FiiO combo only a couple of weeks ago. Compared to my previous setup (I was listening to the HD650's through an M-Audio USB interface) I'd say that the E7 provides the biggest change in terms of sound quality. The E9's power becomes apparent when I listen to classical music with a broad dynamic range.

I would advise you to keep the FiiO combo, because it's a bargain at the price IMHO, and you certainly don't need to worry about power and whether you are losing something in the D/A conversion with that setup.

Dec 22, 2010 at 5:03 AM Post #3 of 44
You're right that the HD595 aren't hard to drive / amp dependant headphones, nor are they very high end (they are the same as the ~$100 HD555 with a piece of foam removed, sennheiser kind of ripped people off with the HD595). No amp will drastically change the sound of those HD595s, your bottleneck here is definitely those cans.

What the E7/E9 combo will let you do is "gain access" to higher end headphones that actually utilize the power and allow them to run properly like HD600/HD650, which are in a completely whole other league than the HD555/595. They definitely have more bass, better soundstage, and basically just better everything all around.

If you get a pair of HD650, or really any higher end headphones that actually utilize an amp, the combo will be worth it.

Dec 22, 2010 at 8:54 AM Post #4 of 44
Hmm.  My guess is the darker Sennheiser sound is probably not for you.  My suggestion is keep the E7/E9 combo as they are essentail for driving higher impendance, higher quality headphones.  If you didn't like the HD595 then you probably won't like the HD600, 650.  I would suggest taking a close look at Grado's, Beyerdynamic's and Ultrasone's line of headphones.  I'm sure you'll eventually find that epiphany you've been searching for!

Dec 22, 2010 at 1:41 PM Post #5 of 44
Thanks guys.
Even though I can see there's room for improvement it's not that I don't like the HD595. For me they're a fantastic improvement over what I used before (crappy 2 bucks headphones and a pair of B&O A8 that crapped out after I stepped on them' 
frown.gif
 :) I just want to put the amp+DAC to proper use. 

The problem is that I really don't have many options to try before I buy, so I have to rely on advice. What does "dark" mean, regarding the HD650? Is it the same as "warm"? I think I would like warm... not sure about "dark". And HD650 is definitely on my list based on price and what I'm reading about them on this forum and elsewhere. But how much better is it? If the difference is "subtle" I may not even hear it... is it night and day compared to HD595 (all else being equal)?

Beyer's and Ultrasone collections are extremely diverse, could you be more specific and recommend particular models. It would be interesting to hear from people who also have the E7+E9.

Grados I hear they're not very comfortable, I really want something that I can forget I'm wearing. And, oh, yeah - I want something that goes around the ear, I tried some cans that sit on the ear and they're unbearable to me as I wear glasses. 

Dec 22, 2010 at 4:35 PM Post #6 of 44
HD650 is a whole different beast compared to the HD595, a night and day difference. After getting your first pair of $100 headphones you run into diminishing returns, so while the HD650 are a large upgrade it won't be like going from your typical $2 junkers to the HD595 again, but there is stiil room for another "wow".

Out of the DT770/DT880/DT990 Beyerdynamic cans, I personally liked the DT990 the most. Since you enjoy the 595 but want more soundstage, for you it would be between the DT880 and DT990. DT880 is the most neutral and balanced of the 3 and should have more bass than the HD595, while the DT990 has heavier bass, more soundstage and is a bit brighter. DT990 is a bit boomy (although well defined), so maybe the DT880 is more up your alley.

With Beyers, 600-Ohm versions are their best, and your combo can power them fine.

Also, try using the buy&sell forums on this site if you're afraid of getting something you don't like, people here constantly shuffle their gear and buy&sell it at nearly no loss just to try things out to get the ideal setup. You can sometimes find the HD650 for $100-150 cheaper than retail for example.

Dec 22, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #7 of 44

Quote:
I am listening mainly to acoustic jazz and classical. So, please help me get my "eargasm"; my epiphany; my head-fi nirvana. You know what I mean. I want my jaw-dropping moment. Please. 

Merry Christmas dnmtsn! You really want eargasms? Head-fi Nirvana? Jaw-dropping moment? Well, I think HD650/600 is one of the answers.
biggrin.gif

Dec 23, 2010 at 7:54 AM Post #9 of 44
I have SR80i and moved to the HD 650 with E7/E9 Dac/Amp combo.

Night and day difference.  My first truly revelatory audiophilic experience.

Dec 23, 2010 at 9:17 AM Post #11 of 44

Quote:
I know your thread, disastermouse. How's the HD650 unamped compared to amped with the E7/E9 combo?

I've literally never tried them unamped.  I could try them and get back to you - but what should I use as source?  iPod?  iPhone?  Cheap Sony receiver hooked up via optical to iMac?  

Dec 23, 2010 at 9:28 AM Post #12 of 44
Do you have a laptop? or any computer with an ordinary soundcard? That's how I will be using them, from my laptop at work. If you could compare them straight out of computer versus amped it would be great. I think I'll go berserk if I buy them and they sound the same straight out of computer.

They're available at this ebay dealer; the price is lower than anywhere else. Does anybody know about this dealer? Are those HD650 legit? I read about different versions, should I worry about what version I get? (not decided yet, but almost there...)

Dec 23, 2010 at 9:43 AM Post #13 of 44

Quote:
Do you have a laptop? or any computer with an ordinary soundcard? That's how I will be using them, from my laptop at work. If you could compare them straight out of computer versus amped it would be great. I think I'll go berserk if I buy them and they sound the same straight out of computer.

They're available at this ebay dealer; the price is lower than anywhere else. Does anybody know about this dealer? Are those HD650 legit? I read about different versions, should I worry about what version I get? (not decided yet, but almost there...)

Just A/B'd them.  General sound is still there, but they sound more than a touch more 'distant'.  Highs aren't as clarion-clear.  Low-mid/high-bass fades a touch.  The E7/E9 definitely improves them. 

They do however retain their general good qualities and sound-stage.  You'd be okay getting them straight from the computer and then later getting the E7/E9 later.  I don't know the HD 595 sound though - so I don't know how big a jump it'd be for you.  Probably still very significant.

Dec 23, 2010 at 9:49 AM Post #14 of 44
I already have the E7/E9. My quest is for headphones that would get an important benefit from being amped, and at the same time would sound significantly better than the 595. 

So, would you say that the difference between amped and non-amped is immediately and clearly noticeable? Or do you have to listen hard to hear any difference? Do you think you would be able to tell which is which in a blindfold test?

Thanks a lot for taking the time to do this comparison, it helps a lot. 

Dec 23, 2010 at 10:16 AM Post #15 of 44

Quote:
I already have the E7/E9. My quest is for headphones that would get an important benefit from being amped, and at the same time would sound significantly better than the 595. 

So, would you say that the difference between amped and non-amped is immediately and clearly noticeable? Or do you have to listen hard to hear any difference? Do you think you would be able to tell which is which in a blindfold test?

Thanks a lot for taking the time to do this comparison, it helps a lot. 

I don't have very sophisticated ears yet, but I could tell a difference - probably because I've been listening to them strictly amped and have adjusted to that sound.  They certainly don't sound 'bad' unamped, they just sound better with the E7/E9.  Everything is just 'fuller' - more complete with the amp.  Also, and obviously, you can achieve higher volume with the amps.  I wouldn't strictly say that you abso-smurfly must have an amp with them - but since I have the E7, I'd obviously pack them with me if (Sidd forbid) I were to try to make them portable.

For instance, I'm going to a friend's house tonight to let him hear them - I'll be packing along the E7/E9.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back