HD555 Now $75 Free Shipping
Oct 5, 2010 at 2:15 AM Post #226 of 241
For what its worth I am really pleased with mine I listen to a lot of jazz and classical/orchestral plus 70s 80s stuff. Fleetwood Mac, Billy Joel, Paul Simon, The Police etc. Maybe these headphones better suited to some types of music than others. For most of of the Hip Hop and Funk I listen to I like my HD280s better. 

Oct 5, 2010 at 11:56 PM Post #227 of 241
Got mine today, with about 4hrs on them I did the quick mod and they sound promising.  I can only judge after extended listening, usually I dont like new sets at first maybe due to familiar songs sounding different/out of the norm

These arent as bass heavy as my m50's and seem brighter.

Oct 6, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #228 of 241
Just got mine today and I have to say EE was a pretty good buying experience.  I have only just started listening to them and so far they sound pretty darn good but for $75 they sound great lol.  Again I have not put a lot of time into them yet but I have noticed the bass is a bit lacking but not completely horrible.  I have just used them with my ipod and a PA2V2.  I am going to try them with my matrix soon and see if it improves a bit with a good amp. 

I will say i was impressed the way the vocals sounded with these cans when listening to easier stuff (Sinatra, Michael Buble, etc.) but when listening to to my main genre (rock/hard rock) they lacked quite a bit.  They just could not seem to keep up with the pace of it and sounded "weak" but not horrible.  Over all at a $150 headphone they are average but at $75 its pretty hard to complain at what you got!!!

Oct 9, 2010 at 11:05 AM Post #230 of 241
deadhorse.gif
 Ok. I am now a believer in burn-in.  Out of the box, the bass drum / kick drum representation of the HD555's sounded like a lollypop hitting an empty cigar box and the HF was pretty grainy.  Following the recommendations on this thread the HD555's were connected to my Zune and let run on shuffle for 72+ hours.  Now the bass is much improved.  It is not as forward as the bass on the Denon D1000's but those are closed phones.  While I doubt if it is reference quality, I like it.  Here is a link that you can use for comparison of different phones.

http://www.wooferbasstest.com/techno-bass-test/subwoofer-test.html

Overall, I am very pleased with the HD555's.  They really shine on vocals and acoustic music (Allison Krause, Diana Krall, Norah Jones, etc) and don't do too bad on modern jazz (Spiro Gyra, Kenny G.).  I was really impressed with the vocals and instrument placement on the Eagles, Long Road out of Eden. (It was the kick drum on this song that sounded so bad in the beginning.)

I thought I would listen to them for awhile before doing the 595 mod. so I could get a good feeling for the change / improvement in bass.  They sound good enough now to enjoy the listening experience.  Now I have three different sound signatures - Er4Ps. Dennon D1000 and the HD555's each with their own flavor.

Listening environment: Netbook w/ VBR WMA -> Corda Move Dac -> HD555's

Oct 9, 2010 at 11:18 AM Post #231 of 241
yeah the hd555 improved so much after burn in.  i think almost everyone knows that.  but they just dont realize it but after 100-200 hours they really shine.  thats why people judge them bad when out of the box, you really can't do that.

Quote:
deadhorse.gif
 Ok. I am now a believer in burn-in.  Out of the box, the bass drum / kick drum representation of the HD555's sounded like a lollypop hitting an empty cigar box and the HF was pretty grainy.  Following the recommendations on this thread the HD555's were connected to my Zune and let run on shuffle for 72+ hours.  Now the bass is much improved.  It is not as forward as the bass on the Denon D1000's but those are closed phones.  While I doubt if it is reference quality, I like it.  Here is a link that you can use for comparison of different phones.

http://www.wooferbasstest.com/techno-bass-test/subwoofer-test.html

Overall, I am very pleased with the HD555's.  They really shine on vocals and acoustic music (Allison Krause, Diana Krall, Norah Jones, etc) and don't do too bad on modern jazz (Spiro Gyra, Kenny G.).  I was really impressed with the vocals and instrument placement on the Eagles, Long Road out of Eden. (It was the kick drum on this song that sounded so bad in the beginning.)

I thought I would listen to them for awhile before doing the 595 mod. so I could get a good feeling for the change / improvement in bass.  They sound good enough now to enjoy the listening experience.  Now I have three different sound signatures - Er4Ps. Dennon D1000 and the HD555's each with their own flavor.

Listening environment: Netbook w/ VBR WMA -> Corda Move Dac -> HD555's

Oct 9, 2010 at 11:52 AM Post #232 of 241
Here is another bass test that can give you an idea of how your headphones perform:

http://www.wooferbasstest.com/silicon-sound-system-360-hz-10-hz/subwoofer-test.html

It steps down from 360hz to 10hz with a beat and a tone.  On both the HD555 and the Denon 1000 I could hear the tone down to about 60hz but below that was just the beat.  The tone was more pronounced on the Denon but the HD555 held up well.

Oct 12, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #236 of 241
Quote:
jP24 said:

can I still get these for $75?
frown.gif

LS1035 makes them $77.09, and goes till 10-31.
Save up to 35% in the following Departments: Audio, Home Theater, Speakers, Receivers,& Headphones,Cannot be combined with any other offer. Exclusions Apply. See Website for details. (LS1035)

TJOOSEXPO seems to work similarly. Also $77.09, Also expires 10-31.
Save up to 40% off Sitewide at Electronics-Expo.com! Exclusions apply. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Excludes Bundles, Clearance, Monster Headphones, Bose, and select Sony items. (TJOOSEXPO)

EDIT: They appear to be out of stock at the moment online (but not for in store pickup). Might want to call or email and see if they'll be in stock before the 31st.

Dec 31, 2010 at 5:52 PM Post #237 of 241
If anybody is still looking for a deal on these, I have a pair I can sell. I bought them through this deal and just wasn't a fan of them. They didn't fit my head very well and the sound just wasn't what I was expecting.

Dec 31, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #239 of 241

Quote:
Ooh.  The $117 HD-595 has some competition at that price.

The $117 HD595 isn't $117 at Amazon anymore. That was the price this morning when I checked at 5am after work, went to bed intending to order them when I woke up, at 2pm the price had gone up to $150. I ordered the 555's from Amazon instead for $93.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back