HD555 Now $75 Free Shipping
Sep 22, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #61 of 241

Quote:
i just received mine today
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//smily_headphones1.gif" title="
smily_headphones1.gif
" width="" />

definitely do the 555 -> 595 mod as it's very easy and low risk (as long as you aren't a clutz with the screwdriver you're fine). i know it's a bit quick to really have any impressions, but i listened to them out of the box for 5 minutes, then did the mod and can notice that the bass improved. as far as detailed descriptions of the change, im sure you can find others describe it better than me since im not very experienced at this, but it sounds better. my brother also has the hd555 that he bought at the beginning of the summer so next time i see him i'll probably try A/B comparison between modded and not modded.

if you were amazed at the foam mod, the soundstage mod will have your jaw drop 2 inches below the floor.  if you want to try it out follow my instructions, i have the best how-to.
here is the link:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/511698/soundstage-mod-for-sennheiser-hd-555-595-re-mastered

Sep 23, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #62 of 241
Has anyone that's ever tried these also tried the Philips SHP895 (yes the ones with fragile headband)? These are also open, similar in shape, and sound amazing to me with a little of bass/midbass EQ. Very well textured, and deep hitting bass. I'm curious if the 555's would be an obvious improvement before/after the mods/mentioned here.

Sep 23, 2010 at 12:20 AM Post #63 of 241
and if you dont feel comfortable doing the mod yourself, send them over to me, i would gladly do it.  i could also recable them if you wanted to dual entry or single entry.  your choice.  if you send 30 dollars and the headphones to me, that will pay for parts and shipping back.

Sep 23, 2010 at 3:51 AM Post #64 of 241
FWIW there are a bunch of coupon deals right now at expo.

I found this link after typing the listed coupon code into google....
http://www.xpbargains.com/st_deals.php/Electronics_Expo_coupons.htm

Apparently there's another coupon for the px-100-II for $46, HD280 for $73 and several other headphones. There are several different coupons listed for every headphone. HD555 for example has coupons ranging from $75-84 final price. Some expire on the 25th, so look closely.

Sep 23, 2010 at 4:13 AM Post #66 of 241

Quote:
I can't believe I now own a Sennheiser.  This is a sad day I had not foretold.

I've come to the conclusion they're just about the only brand with treble I can stand. I'm just moving up the chain. Already have HD212PRO, HD203. Should be a nice improvement.

Sep 23, 2010 at 4:41 AM Post #67 of 241

Quote:
I've come to the conclusion they're just about the only brand with treble I can stand. I'm just moving up the chain. Already have HD212PRO, HD203. Should be a nice improvement.

If they have treble that would be cool.

Sep 23, 2010 at 5:00 AM Post #68 of 241
First post on head-fi.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you for the deal OP, these will be my first set of real headphones. Ever. Up until now the nicest pair I've owned have been SteelSeries Siberia! 

I've never modded anything in my life, but I would like to try my hand at it with these. I figure a $75 product I got on sale is as good a start as any. I'm going to try out the soundstage mod mentioned in this thread, and if I'm feeling really squirly I'd like to put a mic on there somewhere. We'll see how it all works out... wish me luck.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 23, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #71 of 241
 Thanks for the heads up on the discount!

I was having a hard time choosing between the HD 555s, and the AD700s.

It's funny how price helps! I'll probably get the AD700s in the future.

As of 12:00 PM, PST, they had 250 left!!!

Sep 23, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #72 of 241
Just curious, does anyone make a replacement cable for these that terminates to a 1/8" plug. One with the special 4-pin connector inside the earcup, I'm not looking to solder. After ordering these, I noticed that they come with a 1/4" plug, and nothing I listen to (with the exception of my HK AVR130 receiver) has a 1/4" connector. Using the adapter will leave me with a 3" long paperweight attached to my DAP.

Sep 23, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #73 of 241
In for one. This deal seems too amazing to pass up, especially with the possible mods on this model. 

If something happens, and I'm not satisfy with the HD555. I'll happily send them to Canadians that wants them, as long as you provide the shipping.

Sep 23, 2010 at 11:27 PM Post #74 of 241

Quote:
Just curious, does anyone make a replacement cable for these that terminates to a 1/8" plug. One with the special 4-pin connector inside the earcup, I'm not looking to solder. After ordering these, I noticed that they come with a 1/4" plug, and nothing I listen to (with the exception of my HK AVR130 receiver) has a 1/4" connector. Using the adapter will leave me with a 3" long paperweight attached to my DAP.

easy as pie.  white is left, red is right, black/blue are common ground.  on the 1/8 plug there is a left pole, a right pole, and the bottom is the ground.  connect the white to left, red to right, and black/blue combine in the hole on the bottom.  screw on the cover and your done.  simplest thing ever.  dont even need to solder but would make a better connection.  you can just crimp with needlenose pliers.

Sep 23, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #75 of 241
They don't change a whole lot, so if you don't like them, then you don't like them. Don't force yourself. These are entry level phones. And in case anyone is wondering, these are a less refined 580/600 that are slightly more forward. So if you were ever wanting to try the 580/600, these are a good start. If you don't like these, good chance you won't like the 580/600 either.

Quote:
Im hoping that the mods will take care of some of the veil and unnatural vocals Im hearing with these! Still letting them burn in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back