HD380 vs. HD280
Jul 4, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #106 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by Megane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi boys! Just a simple question: How these phones sound on ipod? They need an amp or they sound good without it? Thank you!

The HD380 doesn't sound good to begin with
icon10.gif

Their sensitivity is quite high, and the indedance low, so I think a Ipod can handle them.

Jul 5, 2009 at 10:21 AM Post #107 of 137
Mmmmm..understood. Fact is that we have to get a gift for a friend, but we have a very poor selection of headphones, and he uses only an ipod 80 giga old generation. So, if can i ask you here, the sennheiser hd25 - spII are a better choice? Because we have to choose between these, Sony mdr v700dj and Bose around hear headphone. Which is the best choise, or the less worst? help, please...

Jul 5, 2009 at 10:56 AM Post #108 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by Megane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mmmmm..understood. Fact is that we have to get a gift for a friend, but we have a very poor selection of headphones, and he uses only an ipod 80 giga old generation. So, if can i ask you here, the sennheiser hd25 - spII are a better choice? Because we have to choose between these, Sony mdr v700dj and Bose around hear headphone. Which is the best choise, or the less worst? help, please...

Good choices could be the M-Audio Q40 and the Sony MDR-XB700.

Aug 28, 2010 at 12:35 AM Post #109 of 137

The Sennheiser HD 380s don't cost twice as much if you know where to buy them online. At zipzoomfly they are currently out of stock at a price of 159.99 but if you call musician's friend and have them price match, you can get it at that lower price or a few dollars below. I just purchased for about 156 with Musicians friend.
Quote:
The HD380s have the same impedance and frequency range as the HD280s. They have somewhat larger/differently shaped pads and cost 50% more. 

Jan 24, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #111 of 137
I have the HD280 and I like it since I do not like too much bass .They do clam the hell out of my head though.

I am waiting for the HD380 while searching for the replacement straight cable. 1-800-NOHELP at Senn does not prove otherwise. Anyone know where I can buy the straight cables for the HD380?

l

Nov 10, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #112 of 137
Quote:

intoart:
he's making a snide joke about "Closed Grado's", I assure you, no such thing exists from Grado themselves

yeah, i know this is thread necromancy. so what. i felt the need to correct this error. grado, in fact did make a closed headphone (i'm not referring to their iems), the sr40. how do i know? i used to own them.

Jan 9, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #113 of 137
I called up Sennheiser today and they said the HD280 and HD380 are the same, just different design?!?!? Either he doesn't know what he is talking about or does the pressure difference makes it sound different. Any additional comment?

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #114 of 137
I think this would qualify as a very late reply. 

I own both the Sennheiser HD280-Professional (since 2001) and the Sennheiser HD380-Pro.  I can tel you both are different in the sonic delivery.  Both require extensive burn-in before they sound their best.  If one is seeking an expansive sound-stage off the bat, then the listener will be out of luck since many of Sennheiser's closed headphones require an extensive burn-in with amplification before sounding their absolute best.  My HD280 took more than a year of use before they sounded their best.  And this only applies when properly driven through an amp. 

The HD380-Professional delivers a frequency response range of 8Hz to 27-KHz +/-6db (average - independently tested) and are rated at 53-Ohms rather than the older 280s at 64-ohms.  Like with the previous model, an amplifier is preferable as the listener will get the most out of the headphones when the drivers are properly excited.  The comfort level in the HD380 is vastly superior to the older HD280 due to the shape of the ear cups, but the clamping force is still ever so tight and yet still quite livable due to the overall shape to the ear cushions and cups.  As for the sound signature, there are notable differences such as a much airier sound-stage presence while the instruments separation is much better than the HD280.  There is that signature smoothness that makes Sennheiser the premier brand for the novice and advanced audiophile participant as the mid-range smoothness is something that can quite be beat save for the Edition-line of Ultrasone's brand of headphones. 

This is some food for thought for those who are not as patient as I am to burn-in headphones.  Appreciate the music and the rest will fall into place.

Mar 3, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #115 of 137
I've used both and own the 280's.

The HD380's have a slightly larger soundstage, and their bass presentation is much cleaner that the 280's.

Mar 5, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #116 of 137
I own both headphones. I like and enjoy them both for several different reasons. I use them for work and personal listening as well. As far as comfort goes, I think the 380 is more comfortable because of the size of the ear cups and the clamp force is distributed over a larger area. I feel that the both have a fairly neutral presentation and is why I use them when teaching audio design, or when tracking in the studio. There are slight differences in sonic delivery with both HP’s. The 380’s soundstage is a bit larger with more separation between instruments and such. The overall sound is a bit more refined than the 280’s. The 380’s fold flat, (so do the 280’s) come with a nice carrying case, and also have a detachable cable. You can only use replacement cables from Sennheiser though because of the way the connection fits on the cups. 

Mar 5, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #117 of 137
Quote:
how about the HD25-1 II
its closed and sounds good.

That's an upgrade from HD280pro, except in terms of treble clarity and sparkle and low bass quantity.
HD280 isolates a bit better if I remember correctly.

Mar 5, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #118 of 137
HD280's headband can be bent a bit to reduce clamping pressure.  Adding 4mm thick open-cell acoustic foam to the rear chambers right behind the main chambers housing the driver elements drastically improves HD280's soundstaging.  In its stock form, 280's soundstage has practically no layering of sound, giving it a flatness quality that is different from, say, SR325 and its 2D soundstage.  It seems to me to be an issue of insufficient dampening in the rear chamber (it doesn't have any to begin with).  If you put too much acoustic foam, though, you may lose a little low bass.

My main gripe with 280 is the meh midbass.  Ultimately, I preferred M80 and T50p over 280 for a bassy, portable headphone with clear and sparkly treble.

I heard HD380pro at a Best Buy and enjoyed it.  It seems to be competitive with M80, T50p, and HD25, but I would have to buy one to compare more thoroughly with more time, and I don't feel like bothering to right now, lol.

Apr 16, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #119 of 137
The 280's are great.  Just picked up a well used pair for a whole $15 because after comparing them to the 380's, I prefer the sound of the 280's.  The 380 sounds very similar to the AKG K550 to me.  Very detailed, but awkwardly distant.  Some may perceive this as a "wide" sound stage but it's not my thing.  I'll use open cans for that.  280's rock & I know for a fact that countless entire albums have been mixed on them.

Apr 16, 2013 at 6:36 AM Post #120 of 137
I have about 4000 hours of listening on these, still going strong. I especially like the comfort as I am wearing them for about 8 hours every day at work. I did had to replace the pads with some aftermarket leather ones.The original pads got destroyed from wear and tear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back