HD25-1 II new cable
Aug 30, 2010 at 11:59 AM Post #8 of 20
FWIW, HD25-1 II is actually one headphone where I've seen ALL testimonials of cable switching confirming that there was sound differences.  I've yet to find one where a person claimed that there was none, which is pretty rare feat (almost all other headphones I've seen has at least a few detractors in regards to cable switching claiming there was no difference). It is worthy to note that the stock HD25-1 II cable is steel, which is definitely not conventional compared to typical copper/SPC/silvers used in almost all other headphones.  Not saying this accounts for actual statistical differences or anything like that of course, but thought I'd throw that out there anyway since its not common.

With that said, I've tried one swap on it (a custom made DIY copper cable) and I did not find that the difference was major, though it was indeed there.  It was a hint smoother but I did not notice much else otherwise.  Could have easily been Placebo.  YMMV.

Aug 30, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #9 of 20
I've been toying with the idea of getting a HD 650 cable for my HD 25-1 just to see if I could discern any difference. Given the HD 650 cable isn't too expensive it's not a significant investement wasted if I don't hear any improvement/difference.

Something to perhaps bear in mind is that - and I appreciate this is an obvious point - a HD 650 cable (or cable designed for the 650) won't integrate into the HD 25 headband without modification (because the left and right channel cable need to be different lengths and the left channel cable needs to long enough to run the length of the headband, etc.). Typically the way I've seen people use the HD 650 cable on the HD 25 is turn the cups upside down so that the cable can plug straight into them without involving the headband. This configuration is fine for non-portable headphones (i.e. the HD 650) but if you use the HD-25 out and about the extra tugging on the cable; pulling them in and out of a bag, etc., will put strain on the cup cable sockets and may wear them (and/or the cable connectors) out.

Aug 31, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #12 of 20

Quote:
I wouldn't bother upgrading the cable, but thats just me...

There are many options out there, and this one is not yet proved. I guess it is custom made with the Mogami microphone cables.
Although any replacement cable for HD6x0 is socket compatible, but some of them have heavier weight which not suitable for the light weight HD25-1II, or the connectors would be loosen frequently.
I would suggest you start with the Cardas first, but you have to check with the seller the length of the Y joint in advance. I got one with custom length with 14" from the plugs to the Y joint.
This cable sounds good, punchy, warmth, natural.

Sep 1, 2010 at 10:00 AM Post #14 of 20

Quote:
Something to perhaps bear in mind is that - and I appreciate this is an obvious point - a HD 650 cable (or cable designed for the 650) won't integrate into the HD 25 headband without modification (because the left and right channel cable need to be different lengths and the left channel cable needs to long enough to run the length of the headband, etc.). Typically the way I've seen people use the HD 650 cable on the HD 25 is turn the cups upside down so that the cable can plug straight into them without involving the headband. This configuration is fine for non-portable headphones (i.e. the HD 650) but if you use the HD-25 out and about the extra tugging on the cable; pulling them in and out of a bag, etc., will put strain on the cup cable sockets and may wear them (and/or the cable connectors) out.

Can i do something like this ? (made a quick paint picture)

Sep 1, 2010 at 12:48 PM Post #15 of 20

Can i do something like this ? (made a quick paint picture)

You'll need something to keep the cable in place on the left cup since it'll be held upside down (or else you'll be putting too much strain and pull on the connectors and the cable).  It's fine for the right side since there's already a placeholder for it (the screw on part).  I doubt tape would be strong enough though, and would kind of take away from the durability aspect the HD25 is known for.

I would say another option would be to have your cable custom made by someone here on Head-fi.  Many DIY'ers here are immensely skillful and should have no problem making you a cable with the original HD25 cable dimensions (so that you can hook one side around the headband like how you do with stock cable) but with different material (copper, etc) if you don't want to flip the cups over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back