HD 800 S Anniversary Edition
Sep 21, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #181 of 309
so, let me get this straight, there is silver/gold on top of black which is on top of white ?
Possible, the black layer may be a "primer" of sorts for the metallic paint. But that posters experience was surrounding the black 800S only.

Sep 21, 2020 at 9:07 AM Post #183 of 309
Would anyone care to scrape off their gold paints when receiving the 800SA ?
Why would anyone buy a version of a headphone with it's only difference being cosmetics and then first thing damage the cosmetics on purpose? :)

Doing so wouldn't prove anything anyway in terms of durability, only time will answer that question.

Sep 21, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #186 of 309
Maybe if you could chip off a nice paint sample showing four different colors you could sell it on Headfi.
Better yet just make a cross section of one of the ear cups with a table saw, i'd buy that for a dollar!

Sep 21, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #187 of 309
I’ll chip in (sorry) and say that having owned the HD800 silver for many years I’ve never had issues with the paint chipping, but I am OCD careful.
Be interested to know how many forum members have ordered one. I’m tempted because it would match the golden XLR’s on my Cardas cable and also the gold lights on my Luxman kit. :wink:

Sep 21, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #188 of 309
I’ll chip in (sorry) and say that having owned the HD800 silver for many years I’ve never had issues with the paint chipping, but I am OCD careful.
Be interested to know how many forum members have ordered one. I’m tempted because it would match the golden XLR’s on my Cardas cable and also the gold lights on my Luxman kit. :wink:

Probably would work with the Champagne Marantz gear also. But the contrast of the silver screen and the goldish hue elsewhere is disturbing. Too much going on.

Sep 21, 2020 at 1:05 PM Post #189 of 309
Probably would work with the Champagne Marantz gear also. But the contrast of the silver screen and the goldish hue elsewhere is disturbing. Too much going on.
We will see I will let u know how it looks in person

Sep 21, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #190 of 309
Sep 21, 2020 at 1:10 PM Post #192 of 309
Sep 21, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #194 of 309
I was at a hifi shop today that had these in the back today and I got a look at them.

The pictures are basically all wrong. Its almost like one of those cars with photochromatic paint whose paint changes color depending on the light and angle.

In brighter lighting conditions and angles it looks gold like the stock photos below; at other angles and darker lighting conditions it actually looks like the original HD800 silver color. A transformer! It is very tastefully done and there is as a result zero clashing with the silver mesh or headband as it actually appears silver at certain light/angle.

I am more excited than I was before now as this really does seem to be a special piece with its unique paint, and I should be getting mine tomorrow @ launch! When I get it I will try to post some photos and comparisons that better capture this.

1600726648997.png

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #195 of 309
I was at a hifi shop today that had these in the back today and I got a look at them.

The pictures are basically all wrong. Its almost like one of those cars with photochromatic paint whose paint changes color depending on the light and angle.

In brighter lighting conditions and angles it looks gold like the stock photos below; at other angles and darker lighting conditions it actually looks like the original HD800 silver color. A transformer! It is very tastefully done and there is as a result zero clashing with the silver mesh or headband as it actually appears silver at certain light/angle.

I am more excited than I was before now as this really does seem to be a special piece with its unique paint, and I should be getting mine tomorrow @ launch! When I get it I will try to post some photos and comparisons that better capture this.

Same here! Can’t be soon enough. Do we have 10 years warranty ? LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back