HD 800 S Anniversary Edition
Sep 22, 2020 at 9:29 AM Post #211 of 309
The plug/unplug of the Pentaconn is more preferable to me rather than the XLR4. The one problem is that the 4.4mm isn’t common yet. This is due to the limitations of 4.4 sockets availability and it applications.

Pentaconn is smaller and easier to plug and unplug, but hots/grounds are disconnected much more cleanly with XLR4 than pentaconn. It all gets disconnected simultaneously instead of dragging the +/- through the socket like pentaconn and 1/4". That's one of the reasons I like XLR4 better. Also if 3.5mm is any indication, XLR4 sockets will be more durable over time.

Sep 22, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #212 of 309
Pentaconn is smaller and easier to plug and unplug, but hots/grounds are disconnected much more cleanly with XLR4 than pentaconn. It all gets disconnected simultaneously instead of dragging the +/- through the socket like pentaconn and 1/4". That's one of the reasons I like XLR4 better. Also if 3.5mm is any indication, XLR4 sockets will be more durable over time.
I agree on the technical stand point here. I have seen many other devices to incorporate the 4.4mm female without the correct approach as you mentioned. Only Sony do. Sony has a “plug detector” implemented on the 4.4 female, which is supposedly to be standard. That means as long as the smallest section of the plug is experiencing discontinuity, the Mute circuit will click in, so no dragging like you said. You can never plug or unplug faster than electricity :wink:

It also bother me that LEMO 4 or Amphenol configuration is also similar to XLR-4. It depends on the constructions, but it can also serve as a nice compromises between desktop sizes and compact form....why did the whole industry have to move toward 4.4mm under JEITA ? It is beyond me. You can see some Chinese are making a swapable modular cables using them....why did AK also give in this way ?

The 4.4 sockets is as reliable as the XLR in my opinions...it isn’t so much about the socket itself breaking apart, but it is about the plating that are being stripped clean to the primer layers or bare under metal. I have tried to ply the socket open and break it on intentions...but couldn’t do so without really man handling it the same way the XLR sockets are

Anyways, back to the topic!!! Out for delivery 0_0

My current end game !!!

1/ DMP Z1 Extensively modified (EM)
2/ Hd800SA Gold edition
3/ Furutech-Pentaconn plugs with Litz silvers from Neotech
857486A8-0C27-4B5A-B400-A7DB69DBD93D.jpegB544320D-7E69-4EBC-905A-28D5FBF2E784.jpeg

I don’t know about anyone, but in my opinions the 800SA (Anniversary) has different sound signatures than the regular 800S from the same source and cables.

800SA has sweeter mid ranges with more liquidity and density, much better bass in energy, controls, textures and especially sub bass is to die for. The Mids and vocal is a little more forward and intimidating. The transient speed has improved to be faster, and I don’t know why or how ? Also the dynamic delivery appears much better rendered than the 800S due to all of the above. Also the overall soundstage is slightly smaller, mainly from the illusions of this more intimidating mid and it thicker density. I would dare to say that the transient responses are more accurate than the 800S as well

The 800S in comparison has larger soundstage, but thinner timbres, deep sub bass to low bass layering and definitions is a little more messy, especially sub bass sounds a little artificially resonated. The transient speed is slower than 800SA. The signature also appeared to be more balanced and neutral VS the 800SA which is more toward (analog like, thicker density and more focused into being a little more dynamic bass and warmth)

Both of these side by sides are pretty much a different headphones, if you pick on minutes details here and there (I would suspect some revamping of the same drivers). But if you don’t care much, then they are pretty similar, and one could argue that it is the tolerances differences between each headphones that uses the same (possibly) drivers ?

Anyways, both are worth having and keeping !!
It will be interesting to hear other people comparisons!
B4702A3D-86BD-4A15-B3BD-456CBD70FBD4.jpeg
PS: I suspected that the drivers are slightly revamped despite of it being and appearing to be the same, but only similar. It could be using the same diaphragms, the same constructions, but different else where. I am not a professional in designing headphones but with what I have been toying around and came by, it isn’t possible to improve the transient responds just by simply tweaking housing resonances and or pads and seals....more like the magnetic and or the coils ? But don’t take my words for it

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #213 of 309
I don’t know about anyone, but in my opinions the 800SA (Anniversary) has different sound signatures than the regular 800S from the same source and cables.

800SA has sweeter mid ranges with more liquidity and density, much better bass in energy, controls, textures and especially sub bass is to die for. The Mids and vocal is a little more forward and intimidating. The transient speed has improved to be faster, and I don’t know why or how ? Also the dynamic delivery appears much better rendered than the 800S due to all of the above. Also the overall soundstage is slightly smaller, mainly from the illusions of this more intimidating mid and it thicker density. I would dare to say that the transient responses are more accurate than the 800S as well

The 800S in comparison has larger soundstage, but thinner timbres, deep sub bass to low bass layering and definitions is a little more messy, especially sub bass sounds a little artificially resonated. The transient speed is slower than 800SA. The signature also appeared to be more balanced and neutral VS the 800SA which is more toward (analog like, thicker density and more focused into being a little more dynamic bass and warmth)

Both of these side by sides are pretty much a different headphones, if you pick on minutes details here and there (I would suspect some revamping of the same drivers). But if you don’t care much, then they are pretty similar, and one could argue that it is the tolerances differences between each headphones that uses the same (possibly) drivers ?

B4702A3D-86BD-4A15-B3BD-456CBD70FBD4.jpeg
PS: I suspected that the drivers are slightly revamped despite of it being and appearing to be the same, but only similar. It could be using the same diaphragms, the same constructions, but different else where. I am not a professional in designing headphones but with what I have been toying around and came by, it isn’t possible to improve the transient responds just by simply tweaking housing resonances and or pads and seals....more like the magnetic and or the coils ? But don’t take my words for it

I don't have an 800S original offhand to compare but it does sound hell of a lot different than my 800 did.

Sounds super duper accurate and less echoey

Sep 22, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #214 of 309
I don't have an 800S original offhand to compare but it does sound hell of a lot different than my 800 did.

Sounds super duper accurate and less echoey
Exactly, those artificially resonances, if you know them, you can spot them without fails. This 800SA here sounds super clean and accurate. If I pick on minutes details and considering every 1% of improvements are breaking the diminishing returns. I would have to say that the 800SA is like a successor to the regular 800S just for how accurate it sounds VS the resonances on the regular

I had witnessed another attempt to make the already succeeded headphones to be better, and it was from Stax SR009 into SR009S. Eventhough the drivers mechanism were totally revamped like “gold plating electrodes” and housing constructions. The differences between these 2 headphones are obvious but not as much as the differences from 800S and the 800SA

Honestly, I wouldn’t believe that there are no changes to the drivers at all here. But whatever you want to disclose!!!! It sounds good and freaking wonderful, and that is that. Despite my pocket being dried up by Covid-19....this purchases is totally worth it!!!! And I am glad to be joining the club!!! Didn’t expect an improved performances :wink:

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #215 of 309
Exactly, those artificially resonances, if you know them, you can spot them without fails. This 800SA here sounds super clean and accurate. If I pick on minutes details and considering every 1% of improvements are breaking the diminishing returns. I would have to say that the 800SA is like a successor to the regular 800S just for how accurate it sounds VS the resonances on the regular

I had witnessed another attempt to make the already succeeded headphones to be better, and it was from Stax SR009 into SR009S. Eventhough the drivers mechanism were totally revamped like “gold plating electrodes” and housing constructions. The differences between these 2 headphones are obvious but not as much as the differences from 800S and the 800SA

Honestly, I wouldn’t believe that there are no changes to the drivers at all here. But whatever you want to disclose!!!! It sounds good and freaking wonderful, and that is that. Despite my pocket being dried up by Covid-19....this purchases is totally worth it!!!! And I am glad to be joining the club!!! Didn’t expect an improved performances :wink:

I don't have a 800S black offhand to compare but I will say this particular Gold unit I received is the best sounding HD800 out of the 3 i've owned on my own gear (hd800, hd800s, hd820) and 2 I've demoed in store on hdvd800 (hd800, hd800s). But since I don't have black 800S A/B reference point like you I can't personally say there is an audible difference.

I bought it mainly for the color as I don't like the all black color of HD800s as much as the two-tone variants.

Sep 22, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #216 of 309
I see almost nothing in the studio category on Sennheiser.de. Most of what's listed is either totally unsuitable (HD 25 Light) or is for broadcast as far as I can tell.
For music creation and sound professionals, we have the "pro" category of products, including our brand new MKE200 microphone, the HD 25 Light as you mentioned but also the HD 280 and HD 300, the IE 400 and IE 500 for the performing musicians, as well as many other products here: http://www.sennheiser.com/pro-audio-microphones-wireless-systems-iem-headphones

We're even offering free educational webinars and blog-type articles on microphone hygiene.

The ultimate pair! Note straight-on the top looks gold, but the angled driver starts to look silvery. The paint look fades from gold to silver and back depending on lighting and angle

Congratulations @ruinedx and @Whitigir, that's two of the 750 units accounted for... seems like they've gone to good homes :relieved:

We're very happy you're enjoying your 75th Anniversary HD 800S! We do maintain that the headphone's acoustic design and the team assembling them are the same as with the regular HD 800S, our goal was just to celebrate with a fun limited run with the gold color way, but we're right with you on the good and wonderful sound :grinning:

Last edited:
Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Sep 22, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #217 of 309
We're very happy you're enjoying your 75th Anniversary HD 800S! We do maintain that the headphone's acoustic design and the team assembling them are the same as with the regular HD 800S, our goal was just to celebrate with a fun limited run with the gold color way, but we're right with you on the good and wonderful sound :grinning:

Also appears the HD800S 75th uses the thicker HD820 posts to support the earcup instead of the old HD800S ones.

Sep 22, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #218 of 309
A little bit Elusive here but let me quote
We do maintain that the headphone's acoustic design and the team assembling them are the same as with the regular HD 800S

Basically has not stated anything regarding the overall structures, or drivers :wink:

But then again, I am glad to have this 800SA, whatever the goals are, Sennheiser made a home run here!!! Whoever loves the 800S, you will be missing a world, if you don’t jump in head first with the anniversary edition

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #219 of 309
I agree on the technical stand point here. I have seen many other devices to incorporate the 4.4mm female without the correct approach as you mentioned. Only Sony do. Sony has a “plug detector” implemented on the 4.4 female, which is supposedly to be standard. That means as long as the smallest section of the plug is experiencing discontinuity, the Mute circuit will click in, so no dragging like you said. You can never plug or unplug faster than electricity :wink:

It also bother me that LEMO 4 or Amphenol configuration is also similar to XLR-4. It depends on the constructions, but it can also serve as a nice compromises between desktop sizes and compact form....why did the whole industry have to move toward 4.4mm under JEITA ? It is beyond me. You can see some Chinese are making a swapable modular cables using them....why did AK also give in this way ?

The 4.4 sockets is as reliable as the XLR in my opinions...it isn’t so much about the socket itself breaking apart, but it is about the plating that are being stripped clean to the primer layers or bare under metal. I have tried to ply the socket open and break it on intentions...but couldn’t do so without really man handling it the same way the XLR sockets are

Anyways, back to the topic!!! Out for delivery 0_0

My current end game !!!

1/ DMP Z1 Extensively modified (EM)
2/ Hd800SA Gold edition
3/ Furutech-Pentaconn plugs with Litz silvers from Neotech

Can you try to exchange the pads. I feel its the pads.May be the 800s has worn out pads as compared to the new 800SA

Sep 22, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #220 of 309
Can you try to exchange the pads. I feel its the pads.May be the 800s has worn out pads as compared to the new 800SA
Previously tried a couple pads from brainwavz to Dakoni....and it was pretty underwhelming. Because I bought them from Amazon, and it didn’t work out, so they were returned :). Will do the pads exchange later when I have time

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #221 of 309
Previously tried a couple pads from brainwavz to Dakoni....and it was pretty underwhelming. Because I bought them from Amazon, and it didn’t work out, so they were returned :).

What poster means is that older pads may compress more, bringing driver closer to your ear, and hence changing perception of sound significantly. He is asking if you can swap pads between the HD800S black/gold and see if sound changes.

Sep 22, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #223 of 309
I tried it and I do agree that my older 800S has worn out, or the new pads are thicker and more rigid. Whatever the cases are....the 2 differences in signatures still exist similar to stated above.

Also noticed that the upper extensions are less emphasized on the 800SA when compared to 800S as well, and 800SA is with thicker lower trebles too

I honestly do not think it is the pads alone that contributes toward the differences.

I honestly thought previously about 800S that it was almost a perfect dynamic headphones, except those resonances, and needing some dynamic then it would be perfected. The 800SA totally seems to have succeeded in achieving the better in those aspects, I would say that whatever magic Senn is pulling for this 800SA.....it is unimaginably good

@Sennheiser, if this is any indications that your successor to the 800S are going to head toward, you have got my full support !!! Loving it here

5411F41C-DD7A-4FB2-9A00-81F77366184C.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #224 of 309
Got it!! Will update later
Let me know before them so I can jump on one first. :) If it is tuned or dampened differently im in... Try another source maybe. I’m a little skeptical because the original Gold was priced higher because it was tuned differently with dampening and better matched drivers.
I know there going to reveal a new flagship soon. They basically did this with the HD540 Gold and reference II/Ovation I in the past.

Sep 22, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #225 of 309
I tried it and I do agree that my older 800S has worn out, or the new pads are thicker and more rigid. Whatever the cases are....the 2 differences in signatures still exist similar to stated above.

Also noticed that the upper extensions are less emphasized on the 800SA when compared to 800S as well, and 800SA is with thicker lower trebles too

I honestly do not think it is the pads alone that contributes toward the differences.

I honestly thought previously about 800S that it was almost a perfect dynamic headphones, except those resonances, and needing some dynamic then it would be perfected. The 800SA totally seems to have succeeded in achieving the better in those aspects, I would say that whatever magic Senn is pulling for this 800SA.....it is unimaginably good

@Sennheiser, if this is any indications that your successor to the 800S are going to head toward, you have got my full support !!! Loving it here

5411F41C-DD7A-4FB2-9A00-81F77366184C.jpeg
I think there may be some new toy effect at work as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back