HD 650 with Headroom desktop DAC/AMP questions.
Jun 22, 2011 at 8:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

schaaf

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I posted this in that huge post here thread but got passed up too quick.
I also tried a search but kept getting an error when I did :frowning2:

Been on here before looking for advice but never pulled the trigger on anything.

I do all my listening on my iMac with iTunes. Most files are apple lossless with some at 320 and the rest have been downloaded and upgraded to iTunes +. Currently listening to Senn hd 555s un amped. Mainly Dave Matthews style acoustic stuff but also some electronic, rock, and heavier stuff like tool.

My setup is ok, but I really want a better soundstage and am looking to replicate the enjoyment of listening to good bookshelf or floor standing speakers. I only have about11-1200 to spend on amp/dac/headphones.

I was mainly looking at the headroom desktop amp/dac with the hd650's.

Amps are confusing. People just spout out model numbers and I have no idea who makes them or where to find them.

I have never listened to anything like the system that I am talking about building, so I have no idea what to expect. I don't want to be disappointed if it's only a little different from what I am listening to now. I think I am expecting to be blown away by this, but I dunno. I'm also looking at a pair of Martin Logan speakers and a new receiver for those. I have heard them many times and love the sound. I think I am expecting something like that in headphones, and I'm not sure if that's realistic or not.

So thoughts on the system?
Other alternatives?
Thoughts on speakers vs headphones?

Thanks everyone.

Schaaf.

Jun 23, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #2 of 6
Amps supply more power to your drivers. So your computer constantly put out a small amount of power, but an amp converts and adds power to that existing current and also can mess or play with the sound.

Example:
I needed an amp when I got my Sony MDR-V6
They were under driven, so at higher volumes then started to crackle, and low volumes they didn't have enough detail.
So I ran out and got a Am/Fm Receiver, still use it and it works just fine as an amp.

Now if you want to get into amping, which is smart when you invest $500 into a headphone, better have good power going to it.

Just pick up a pair of FiiO E7+E9 which, the E7 is a portable, but works with the E9 which is a desktop amp. You plug in the E9, connect the audio wires, and play while headphones connect in front. Also, if your going from a stock computer/DAP just get a 3.5mm to rca red and white cable.

Jun 23, 2011 at 3:10 AM Post #3 of 6
Thanks for the reply and help with amps. 

So what about speakers vs. headphones at the 2000 dollar price range?

I was looking at a pair of Magnepan speakers and was blown away by their sound. It was beautiful. 
im sure the whole set up cost more than I want to spend, but they have lower end speakers and paired with a decent amp, I could get great sound for around 2k.

What about headphones tho? 

Has anyone listened to a great speaker set up and thought "well how can I go back to my headphones now?" 
Im just worried I wont be able to get the sound I am looking for... I wish there were headphone dealers around that had the kinds of things I am looking for.
I would like to listen to a 2k system before I spend the money on it. 

Best system you could build for around 2k that would rival 2k worth of speakers and an amp?

thanks!

S

Jun 24, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #5 of 6
Yeah Im kinda stuck at this point. 

Went to the HiFi store and listened to some MMGs the 12s and some 1.6s Powered by a NAD amp. Had a chance to listen to some RS1s amped via the NAD and the Grado amp. Wasn't really as impressed with the RS1s as I thought I would have been. I think they sounded better coming out of the NAD than the Grado, but there was some down time between each listening session. 

I really want to like a headphone setup better than a speaker set-up, but I love the sound of the Maggie's and the way it puts you "there."

The hardest part about both set-ups is figuring out which amp to go with. Its hard to find a 100wpc (or more, preferably) amp to drive the Maggie's in my price range, and when you find one that is affordable, it doesn't leave any room for a dedicated source.  And all the types and brands for the headphone amps are confusing and hard to find. SS or Tube? This brand or that brand, which one sounds better for what I listen to? DAC? 

It's a ton of stuff to think about. 

Im leaning more toward the speakers at this point, but I'm sure I'll change my mind several times before I make it up for good.

Schaaf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back