Hd 600 with e9 or...?
Jan 3, 2012 at 11:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

basshead1

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone. I am getting an e9 in the mail tomorrow (hopefully). I have $100 from selling my ath m50s and am willing to sell my hd 558 to get a used/refurbished hd 600. Would this be worth it? Would an upgrade from hd558 with fiio e9 to hd600 with an e9 be a significant upgrade? Can the e9 drive the hd600 to their full potential? If not, what better options do i have for headphones that work gret with the e9 for <$300? Btw the fiio e9 will be plugged into a sansa fuze with all flac files. Thanks so much in advance and sorry for all the questions.

Sent from my htc thunderbolt using Tapatalk

Jan 4, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #3 of 29
Quote:
Can the e9 drive the hd600 to their full potential? If not, what better options do i have for headphones that work gret with the e9 for <$300?

It depends on your definition of "full potential", but technically the E9 should drive the HD6xx well, and it should be an upgrade compared to the HD558.

Jan 4, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #4 of 29

Quote:
Hello everyone. I am getting an e9 in the mail tomorrow (hopefully). I have $100 from selling my ath m50s and am willing to sell my hd 558 to get a used/refurbished hd 600. Would this be worth it? Would an upgrade from hd558 with fiio e9 to hd600 with an e9 be a significant upgrade? Can the e9 drive the hd600 to their full potential? If not, what better options do i have for headphones that work gret with the e9 for <$300? Btw the fiio e9 will be plugged into a sansa fuze with all flac files. Thanks so much in advance and sorry for all the questions.

Full potential?  No, but it'll sound pretty good and should sound better than the HD558.  What types of music do you listen to?

Jan 4, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #5 of 29
Quote: Originally Posted by basshead1  Hello everyone. I am getting an e9 in the mail tomorrow (hopefully). I have $100 from selling my ath m50s and am willing to sell my hd 558 to get a used/refurbished hd 600. Would this be worth it? Would an upgrade from hd558 with fiio e9 to hd600 with an e9 be a significant upgrade? Can the e9 drive the hd600 to their full potential? If not, what better options do i have for headphones that work gret with the e9 for <$300? Btw the fiio e9 will be plugged into a sansa fuze with all flac files. Thanks so much in advance and sorry for all the questions. Sent from my htc thunderbolt using Tapatalk Full potential?  No, but it'll sound pretty good and should sound better than the HD558.  What types of music do you listen to?

Thanks for the reply. I listen to rap/hip hop. And, what do you mean it wont drive them to their full potential? The e9 can supposedly drive up to 600 ohms, and the hd600 is only 300 ohms?

Jan 5, 2012 at 10:28 AM Post #6 of 29

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I listen to rap/hip hop. And, what do you mean it wont drive them to their full potential? The e9 can supposedly drive up to 600 ohms, and the hd600 is only 300 ohms?

Yes, the E9 is capable of driving almost any dynamic headphone with power to spare.  But, when you say full potential, you're looking for the very best that headphone has to offer.  That is something need you'll some very expensive audio equipment to get.  So, for now just enjoy the HD600 with the E9, it should still sound very good.

Jan 5, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #7 of 29
I haven't heard really high-end setups yet, but I can certainly vouch for the HD600 sounding excellent out of the E9, in comparison to lower-end cans and in comparison to straight through an iPod.

Jan 5, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #8 of 29
The HD600s definitely scale well with amping.  A decent little amp will definitely be noticeable.  Great amps will show more improvement.  But, a headphone will always be its own bird of feather.  An amp won't change a set of cans very much to make it sound like another set of cans.  Amping just refines aspects and livens up others.  It all depends on how much you wanna spend. 

Jan 5, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #9 of 29
Thanks so much for the replies everybody! I appreciate the help! Now i feel very well informed! Does anyone know any other headphones in the <$300 price range that would work well with the e9 and sound better than the hd600 with the e9? Thanks so much!!

Jan 5, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #10 of 29
I think Denon's D2000 would be another good option for ya, especially with your preferred music genres.

Jan 6, 2012 at 9:29 AM Post #13 of 29

Quote:
I looked at those. However, soundstage is a big deal for me, so, as they are closed, wont their be a fairly small soundstage?

What's interesting about higher-end Denons, is their sound stage is quite good(from what I've read) not the typical closed-back sound.  Though, not quite as big as quality open headphones, but not too far off.

Jan 7, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #15 of 29

I'd consider the HD650 for hip hop over the HD600 which tends to sound more neutral and thin in comparison.

A lot of hip hop is also poorly mastered that raises the possibility of harshness with the HD600 ~ this would
 never happen with the brassier HD650.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back