HD 600 vs HD 650
Aug 26, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #346 of 441
FINALLY got my HD600's. I started listening to some vinyl about two hours ago (Kid A and first album of Hurry Up, We're Dreaming). These phones are outstanding!!!! I absolutely love the clarity I get with these things. The mids/treble are terrific. I definitely would not want them drawn back at all (HD650). The only criticism I have at the moment is the soundstage could be bigger, but at $320 I doubt I could have done much better, so I'm satisfied. Isn't the HD650's soundstage just a little better? I think the bass in fine. For Kid A I used the "loudness" position on my receiver. I generally switch to this for records that lack bass, but imo sound better with the alteration. On the other hand  I think Hurry Up, We're Dreaming is sonically an incredible record and the 600's highlight that. I've turned the volume knob up as far as I can handle and the sound is still 100% clear (never experienced this before). I adjusted the bass on this record as well, but this time I just turned the bass knob to +1. Based on my conversations with everyone I think I made the right decision. IMO it's good and more adaptive to have a neutral pair of headphones as your starting point and adjust the receiver on a case by case basis. Again I want to reiterate how great the mids and treble are! I have no idea why you would want these drawn back. Thank you to everyone in this thread that gave me advice and led me to a successful purchase of my first audiophile phones! Now back to enjoying music!

Also, I forgot to add how damn comfortable these phones are. Absolutely no fatigue at all. 

Aug 26, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #347 of 441
Glad you like them! The HD650's improvement in soundstage is very small if there's any. I was surprised at how good the bass and treble was on the HD600; I hear no "veil" and the sub bass responds very well to EQ. The HD650 is slightly warmer and more "veiled" but the difference isn't as big as people make it sound either.

Aug 26, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #348 of 441
Glad you like them! The HD650's improvement in soundstage is very small if there's any. I was surprised at how good the bass and treble was on the HD600; I hear no "veil" and the sub bass responds very well to EQ. The HD650 is slightly warmer and more "veiled" but the difference isn't as big as people make it sound either.

Nope. More similar than different. The hd600 rock. You'll only grow to appreciate them more. Especially when you go back to lesser phones. :p

Aug 26, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #349 of 441
Quote:

Ya that's right. Anyway, I can now say I've become more impressed with the soundstage, among other things. As Agoetis byrjun was winding down I thought I heard a loud noise in the room next to where I am which kind of freaked me out since I'm home alone right now. But actually it was just something on the recording. 

Aug 26, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #350 of 441
Quote:

Ya that's right. Anyway, I can now say I've become more impressed with the soundstage, among other things. As Agoetis byrjun was winding down I thought I heard a loud noise in the room next to where I am which kind of freaked me out since I'm home alone right now. But actually it was just something on the recording. 

If you're open to it :wink: haha  I can give you eq to flatten them even further. :wink:

Aug 29, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #354 of 441
I've heard of people that own both the HD600 and HD650. This just seems like a waste of money if they're so similar. Or do you guys think it would be nice to have both? Also, if you had the cash would you rather have the HD600 and HD650 or the HD800? 

Aug 29, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #355 of 441
It depends on people the definition of 'waste of money'. I am one of them that think I should have 2 of them in my sound collection, like stamp collectors.
600 vocal is more forward, slightly grainier, but fine for me.
650 vocal is lush-er, more depth but also slightly more laid back.
Since for movie I need more forward vocal, I think this could be a good one for movie watching.
But I hold on the idea of buying 600 for now as I think I want to try entry level electrostat first, like 2170 or koss esp 950. Either one I will use for movie mostly. Heck even hd800 I also use for movie watching, and its GREAT one too.

Aug 29, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #356 of 441
I wouldn't own both because they're so similar. You can essentially turn one into the other if you're good with EQ. If I were to own more than one open headphone, I'd rather have something more different. Or the HD800 :D

Aug 29, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #357 of 441
I have both. They are similar but they are not.They sound the same but there are differences well noted.  I'd keep the HD600 over the HD650.On many occasions I do think the HD650 is better than the HD600 but in the end I like the HD600.

Aug 29, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #359 of 441
Quote:
I have both. They are similar but they are not.They sound the same but there are differences well noted.  I'd keep the HD600 over the HD650.On many occasions I do think the HD650 is better than the HD600 but in the end I like the HD600.

This makes me feel better. I wouldn't say I'm a headphone collector. At least not yet. There are so many other items on my musical list that I want that I had to make a choice between the two which was kind of hard since I could not hear either before purchase. Eventually I might have 4 pairs of headphones around. I at two right now. HD600 and Audiotechnica ATH-M50. Honestly, the ATH will always be my travel set. Such great value for what you get and at this point if something happens to them I won't be too heartbroken because I have my HD600's 
bigsmile_face.gif

BTW I literally just A/B'd them. Track: Get Lucky (Daft Punk). What I noticed, the HD600 has way more clarity and is actually louder at the same volume as the ATH. It felt like the ATH had a more recessed treble and more pronounced bass (sound like something we know????) haha just kidding. 

Aug 29, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #360 of 441
Quote:

This makes me feel better. I wouldn't say I'm a headphone collector. At least not yet. There are so many other items on my musical list that I want that I had to make a choice between the two which was kind of hard since I could not hear either before purchase. Eventually I might have 4 pairs of headphones around. I at two right now. HD600 and Audiotechnica ATH-M50. Honestly, the ATH will always be my travel set. Such great value for what you get and at this point if something happens to them I won't be too heartbroken because I have my HD600's 
bigsmile_face.gif

M50 is excellent for the price.  But I personally don't find I'd want the hd650 with the hd600.  For me it's redundant.  I don't find enough difference in sound.  I think a lot of the perceived differences are because of the difference response.  You can eq the 600 to sound almost identical to the 650, so for me it's just redundant.  Don't get me wrong, if you have the money and want both, they're both excellent.  And the 650 look less fake marble. haha...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back