HD 600 vs HD 650
Apr 15, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #376 of 441
  I'm having this trouble right now.

I'd like something warmer/darker/thicker than my Q701, but maybe a little less fuller than my 558. 558 sounds a little bloated. I prefer the one that sounds more natural with instruments, especially drums and cymbals, and also excelling with vocals. Also need to have a fun factor of 10 
k701smile.gif

Any advice for HD600 vs 650? I can get both for around the same price. Is one easier to drive than the other? 

I listen to:
Modern Synthpop/Electropop
Rock, Alternative, Post-Hardcore
A little bit of classical, and some Drum n Bass

One last bit: My listening sessions are LONG, 5+ hours. 

Seems like yo want it all, in my case, I spent a whole afternoon listening to them both side by side with the same source, just played around with the amps... I ten to prefer a neutral natural sound so I walked out with the HD600, the HD650 is the more fun of the both though, really really hard to choose just one as I like them both... And that would be the HD800 I think...

Apr 15, 2014 at 9:11 AM Post #377 of 441

Seems like yo want it all, in my case, I spent a whole afternoon listening to them both side by side with the same source, just played around with the amps... I ten to prefer a neutral natural sound so I walked out with the HD600, the HD650 is the more fun of the both though, really really hard to choose just one as I like them both... And that would be the HD800 I think...

Well, my HD558 almost do it all..
almost. They are the definition of fun to me.
I just wish they'd have a little more detail, clearer sound, better bass. 

Apr 15, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #378 of 441
  I'm reading that they are a basshead phone. 

EDIT: also seems like that wouldn't be an upgrade, more like a downgrade.

I would suggest that you listen to them before buying and then make a judgement whether it will be a downgrade or upgrade.

I am a music lover not a sound engineer. For me, HPs are a means to enjoy the music, so fun factor and good sound quality is paramount. That's why, I like them very much and use them more often than K701. I only use 701s for a few classical recordings, less than 2 percent of my music collection. 

If I want to be a sound engineer, I may rather buy HD800 because it would reveal details and artifacts which no other HPs can do. But many buyers also complain that 800s sound analytical, cold and boring. There are plenty of reviews of X1 at Amazon UK and US where buyers have compared them to other hi-end HPs.

Just my 2 cents...  

Apr 15, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #379 of 441

I would suggest that you listen to them before buying and then make a judgement whether it will be a downgrade or upgrade.

I am a music lover not a sound engineer. For me, HPs are a means to enjoy the music, so fun factor and good sound quality is paramount. That's why, I like them very much and use them more often than K701. I only use 701s for a few classical recordings, less than 2 percent of my music collection. 

If I want to be a sound engineer, I may rather buy HD800 because it would reveal details and artifacts which no other HPs can do. But many buyers also complain that 800s sound analytical, cold and boring. There are plenty of reviews of X1 at Amazon UK and US where buyers have compared them to other hi-end HPs.

Just my 2 cents...  

There is nowhere I can listen to them. I'd actually have to buy them. I've read some more reviews and I think I'll be going for the 650's. Knowing me I'll probably end up with the Fidelio too. 
By the way I can get a pair of 650's for ~$280

Apr 1, 2015 at 6:37 AM Post #380 of 441
Can somebody who owns both recommend an EQ setting to make HD600 sound like HD650? 

I read in this thread that some people think with the right EQ you can make one sound almost indistinguishable from the other. What is that right setting? I just got the 600 and I am very curious to experience the 650 sound. I would really appreciate any help.

Apr 4, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #381 of 441
Got a super cheap 650 from Amazon so I could finally compare them for myself to my 600. 

Didn't even have to go into real depth with the comparison. Listened to about a dozen tracks and preferred the 650 to the 600 on all of them. I listen to mostly Rock (at least with the 600/650), so that definitely plays in the 650's favor. My 600 will be going to a new home soon. Poor guy, I didn't even know you that long...

Apr 5, 2015 at 5:06 AM Post #382 of 441
  Got a super cheap 650 from Amazon so I could finally compare them for myself to my 600. 

Didn't even have to go into real depth with the comparison. Listened to about a dozen tracks and preferred the 650 to the 600 on all of them. I listen to mostly Rock (at least with the 600/650), so that definitely plays in the 650's favor. My 600 will be going to a new home soon. Poor guy, I didn't even know you that long...

What if you try and EQ the 600? Won't you have the same 650 experience with them? 

Apr 5, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #383 of 441

What if you try and EQ the 600? Won't you have the same 650 experience with them? 

You might be able to get somewhat close, but you have to use an EQ and I'm usually using them straight out of tube amps. Plus I felt the soundstage was a little bigger on the 650, and you can't really replicate that.

May 5, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #384 of 441
I'm a current owner of both the HD600 and the HD650 and I think there's something wrong with my HD650. While the differences between these two should be minimal, I'm finding it quite drastic. First of all, the HD650 is much quieter than the HD600, except for the treble region. This makes the HD650 sound much more treble forward and the HD600 is very warm and bassy in comparison. Anyone heard of anything like this? It's pretty upsetting.

EDIT: One of the drivers was loose. I looked up Tyll's video on the disassembly of the drivers and when I disassembled the left driver, whose connection had been loose for a long time, the driver fell right out. After snapping it back into place, all is back to normal.

May 6, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #385 of 441
I'm finding that I strongly prefer the HD600 over the HD650. IMO the HD600 sounds more natural and effortless, and gives a better sense of space than the HD650 which are more intimate and warm. Personally I prefer natural and realistic sounds and the improvement in soundstage is also a big selling point, so I'll probably be ditching my HD650 in the near future.

May 6, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #386 of 441
  I'm finding that I strongly prefer the HD600 over the HD650. IMO the HD600 sounds more natural and effortless, and gives a better sense of space than the HD650 which are more intimate and warm. Personally I prefer natural and realistic sounds and the improvement in soundstage is also a big selling point, so I'll probably be ditching my HD650 in the near future.

Don't you find the HD600 too bright sometimes? I've got DT990 (notorious for its excessively bright signature) and sometimes HD600 almost matches it in brightness. I never owned HD650 but I imagine I would prefer it over the 600 with all that brightly mastered classical music I listen to (and there are so many of them!). 

May 6, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #387 of 441
  Don't you find the HD600 too bright sometimes? I've got DT990 (notorious for its excessively bright signature) and sometimes HD600 almost matches it in brightness. I never owned HD650 but I imagine I would prefer it over the 600 with all that brightly mastered classical music I listen to (and there are so many of them!). 

I actually don't mind bright sound--I still love my Grado SR80i--but no, I don't find them to be bright at all. Then again, I'm listening through Crack and I got the HD600 after I'd built the Crack so I never had much of a chance to listen to it via the O2 or any other solid state amp. Maybe it's a little brighter with solid state but the treble through the Crack, even with an RCA clear top as the preamp tube and a Tung Sol 5998 as the power tube, the HD600 doesn't sound bright to me. The treble is very smooth and natural and well extended.

May 6, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #389 of 441

I never owned HD650 but I imagine I would prefer it over the 600 with all that brightly mastered classical music I listen to (and there are so many of them!). 

Quite sure you would. I picked up the 650 recently and it's just more gentle on the ear compared to the 600.

, even with an RCA clear top as the preamp tube and a Tung Sol 5998 as the power tube, the HD600 doesn't sound bright to me. The treble is very smooth and natural and well extended.

I concur. I'm rocking the exact same tubes on a Speedball and the HD600 is #1 to me. Tapping, nodding, smiling more than other nights tonight.

Oh, yeah. I keep hearing about how great these sound on the Crack. There must be something to it. 

There's something going on between the HD6XX and the Crack like many others have said. Synergy. My recently added Lyr is also really nice and close to my ears but in comparison I prefer the Crack. Why exactly I can't explain. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back