HD-580's on the way - how to drive them?
Feb 10, 2008 at 6:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

mattopia

100+ Head-Fier
I have a pair of Sennheiser HD-580's on the way. My plan was to power them with my Total Bithead, but looking at the specs I see that they are some power hungry cans at 300 ohms.

Since I've read that the Senn HD580,600,650's really only begin to shine when fed properly, I now have a feeling that the Total Bithead might not cover it. I've started looking around and searching the forums, but man are there a lot of choices out there!

I'd prefer something that has a built-in DAC w/ USB and/or optical, but something that can also possibly take an analog line input. DAC is optional though, I can always go external later.

Portability is not a huge issue -- I am generally stationary when listening. Sources will primarily be MacBook Pro (USB or optical out) with iTunes and line out of my gen5.5 iPod. Would be nice for air travel, etc, but I rather my budget go towards quality over portability.

Budget is under $200 at the moment. I'd be interested in trying tube over SS but not sure if I can do it for that budget!

Feb 10, 2008 at 7:07 PM Post #2 of 13
I'd stay cool for a few days living with the Bithead and the 580. Just let them do their thing, maybe you get a nice surprise. Otherwise, DAC/amp, tubed and for USD <200... Can't recall anything that really could make a pair of 580 or 600 shine. If it were SS, I'd try a Meier Corda 2Move (if you found it used). Never tried it myself but have good references of it driving the Senns for its price.

Rgrds.

Feb 10, 2008 at 7:09 PM Post #3 of 13
Your Bithead will drive them just fine. I'm sitting here as we speak, driving my 580s with an Airhead, and it will go louder than my ears can stand, with a big bottom end and lots of punch. The problem I have is the lack of dac. The innards of a Mac are quite quiet, and I'm not picking up any audible noise, but I am going through the Mac's sound card and headphone out, so I can't imagine I'm getting the most out of my Senns.

I think I'll soon be picking up a Apogee Duet to address that problem. The Pico seems like a good choice too, if you want something that will double as a travel amp with a portable source. Both are out of your current price range, but I'd hold out if I were you. You have the Bithead in the meantime. When you step, step up. MHO.

duet_gallery5_lg.jpg

Oh yeah...there will be lots of differing opinions, but I think I'd avoid inexpensive tube amps with 580s. In fact I'd avoid tube amps period. The 580s are already warm and forgiving. I think they benefit from the detail of a really good solid state amp. They love the digital amp in my home system.

Tim

Feb 10, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #4 of 13
driving a hd580 is not the issue. With my crappy iriver t10 can drive my hd580 ( volume level wise offcocure) but bass is muddy and boomy SQ wise its just crap... My mini3 amp can drive that thing too but still I have my doubts that hd580/600/650 needs more power... More power doesnt means more volume level but tigher and faster bass, clean mids and sparkling highs... So save your money and buy a 500$ tube amp...

Feb 10, 2008 at 8:36 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattopia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a pair of Sennheiser HD-580's on the way. My plan was to power them with my Total Bithead, but looking at the specs I see that they are some power hungry cans at 300 ohms.

Since I've read that the Senn HD580,600,650's really only begin to shine when fed properly, I now have a feeling that the Total Bithead might not cover it. I've started looking around and searching the forums, but man are there a lot of choices out there!

I'd prefer something that has a built-in DAC w/ USB and/or optical, but something that can also possibly take an analog line input. DAC is optional though, I can always go external later.

Portability is not a huge issue -- I am generally stationary when listening. Sources will primarily be MacBook Pro (USB or optical out) with iTunes and line out of my gen5.5 iPod. Would be nice for air travel, etc, but I rather my budget go towards quality over portability.

Budget is under $200 at the moment. I'd be interested in trying tube over SS but not sure if I can do it for that budget!

Hi Mattopia,

For your budget, I have the perfect solution for you. The Zero DAC/Headphone amp. First, it sells for $139 + 40 ship. Second, it has an excellent built in dual mono designed headphone amp. Third, the Zero will give you a clear upgrade path later, because you can use it's DAC output to feed a separate tube amp or SS amp.

Many users are using Optical out from a notebook, to the Zero and using it's headphone amp to drive their headphones. This works extremely well. I drive my HD-580s, 600s and 650s with it all the time and it drives them with ease.

My review of the Zero has more details, right here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...re-amp-269458/
I hope this helps some!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 10, 2008 at 9:16 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Mattopia,

For your budget, I have the perfect solution for you. The Zero DAC/Headphone amp. First, it sells for $139 + 40 ship. Second, it has an excellent built in dual mono designed headphone amp. Third, the Zero will give you a clear upgrade path later, because you can use it's DAC output to feed a separate tube amp or SS amp.

Actually, I've been considering the Zero already based on your review and your comments in other threads! It's tempting and the price is certainly right. The only real issue I see is that the built-in headphone amplifier can't be fed with an analog source -- although I'm sure there's a way to mod it to do so!

Feb 10, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Actually, I've been considering the Zero already based on your review and your comments in other threads! It's tempting and the price is certainly right. The only real issue I see is that the built-in headphone amplifier can't be fed with an analog source -- although I'm sure there's a way to mod it to do so!

Was it important to use the iPod with one?

Feb 10, 2008 at 9:52 PM Post #8 of 13
The HD 580, 600 & 650 are probably some of the best scaling headphones made.
You can drive them well enough with an average amp, but as has already been said the better amp you buy, the better they will sound.
I wasn't a Sennheiser fan at all, until I recently heard them through my balanced
β22 and my Zapfiltered dual differential Opus DAC. I was so amazed at how much better they sounded from that rig than an average SE setup that I bought a 580 on the spot.

So the short answer is buy the best amp you can, and if you like the headphones they will most likely be the permanent piece in your rig as you upgrade source and amp.

Feb 10, 2008 at 9:57 PM Post #9 of 13
I'm currently debating whether I should buy a pair of re-cabled HD580s and I was looking at getting the Pico to drive them.

Has anybody heard this combo? If so, what do you think about it? I especially want to hear what you have to say about the bass.

Feb 10, 2008 at 10:23 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Was it important to use the iPod with one?

I use my iPod as a source about 30% of the time at home and about 80% of the time at work. It's really a matter of convenience, as I can also use my Macbook Pro at home with its optical out. I take my iPod home every night, but my "rig" usually stays at work and then comes home on the weekends for home enjoyment.

Feb 10, 2008 at 10:35 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

I use my iPod as a source about 30% of the time at home and about 80% of the time at work. It's really a matter of convenience, as I can also use my Macbook Pro at home with its optical out. I take my iPod home every night, but my "rig" usually stays at work and then comes home on the weekends for home enjoyment.

Ok then, I see. Well that is something to consider. The improvements in sound quality using the notebook with lossless files, optical out to a DAC would be worth the trouble (IMHO) but, sometimes dragging the notebook around can be a real challenge.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 10, 2008 at 10:38 PM Post #12 of 13
The HD580s (modified with the HD600 screens and a cable) sound great with the Corda Move - I'm sure even better with the improved DAC of the 2Move.

That would be my choice in the $200+ price range.

On the other hand... if you want "fantastic" sound with your HD580s... get a DV332 and figure out how to connect it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool_Torpedo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd stay cool for a few days living with the Bithead and the 580. Just let them do their thing, maybe you get a nice surprise. Otherwise, DAC/amp, tubed and for USD <200... Can't recall anything that really could make a pair of 580 or 600 shine. If it were SS, I'd try a Meier Corda 2Move (if you found it used). Never tried it myself but have good references of it driving the Senns for its price.

Rgrds.

Feb 10, 2008 at 10:55 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HD580s (modified with the HD600 screens and a cable) sound great with the Corda Move - I'm sure even better with the improved DAC of the 2Move.

That would be my choice in the $200+ price range.

On the other hand... if you want "fantastic" sound with your HD580s... get a DV332 and figure out how to connect it.

There is a budget limit to the OP's request.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back