HD 580 vs DT 770 Pro
Aug 9, 2011 at 3:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

dirtydragon

New Head-Fier
I recently got my hands on some hd580's which my friend gave me.  I have to say I am a little disappointed in them when compared to my DT pro 770s.  The soundstage is not as vast and the lows and highs are not as bright or clean sounding.  I am running these unamped through my macbook.  Maybe that makes a difference?

Aug 9, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #4 of 7

Quote:
I recently got my hands on some hd580's which my friend gave me.  I have to say I am a little disappointed in them when compared to my DT pro 770s.  The soundstage is not as vast and the lows and highs are not as bright or clean sounding.  I am running these unamped through my macbook.  Maybe that makes a difference?

Heya,

Listen longer.

You're used to the DT770 Pro's. Your mind's first reaction is "foreign" when you put on something new and since they're similar, you're going to immediately retract back to what's familiar. Now, the DT770's do have a better sound stage, they have huge cups, I felt the same way on that. But sound wise, they're quite similar (and I amp both).

This is critical when you're comparing these headphones: is your source lossless audio or are you using compressed MP3's?

Macbook pro onboard + compressed audio = unimpressive out of anything honestly. So let's rule that out before we make a judgement on a headphone.

Very best,

Aug 9, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
I don't think lossless compared to say, 320kbps mp3 would make or break his impression of a headphone.

Heya,

That's entirely up to the listener. I notice a difference with 320kbps and FLAC with my Pro 900's and SRH940's both in electronic and in acoustic just to give you an idea of near opposites with a single source flaw causing a difference. You don't want an expensive headphone not producing what you wanted to hear because your source is actually at fault. Again, if nothing, it's to rule out that source is the issue. Some headphones reveal flaws in a way that is not very attractive when rendering compressed audio. Some have a long decay so compressed stuff sounds ok. Some have a fast decay and you hear compression easier. And that's where amplification comes in for speed of driver response and recovery.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back