HD-560 Earpads for HD-250 Linear?
Oct 5, 2010 at 8:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Marlene

100+ Head-Fier
Finally!

I´ve just registered after reading for months and months through many informative posts here...

I have a question for starters and I hope I am posting this question in the right part of the forum. Anyway, I own a very old HD-250 Linear from Sennheiser. The headphone lay unused in some corner for several years... as you can guess the earpads have dissolved, they literally are crumbling away. In order to resurrect the headphone I´d like to buy some new earpads - sadly the ones availabe for the HD-250 Linear are made out of pleather.

Since I hate pleather I would like to know if the ones for the HD-560 would also fit because these are velour... which is so much more comfortable IMO.

I would be very happy if someone has some experience and could possibly answer my question, thank you in advance.

Oct 7, 2010 at 1:29 PM Post #3 of 20
The HD560 earpads are not very good in my opinion (even on HD560s) so just use the new HD250 pads, they will be good once you get used to them. Even if you can get the HD560 pads fit somehow (the mounting is not the same) I don't think it will sound good. You can also try some beyer pads but again they might change the sound significantly and not in a good way.

Oct 8, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #6 of 20
Yes I would agree you really need the original pads and new original black foams - both are essential for good sound. I had the HD560II, AND the pads don't fit on the HD250. 

Do you have the HD250 Linear I or Linear II? The Linear I has grey colored cups and the Linear II has black colored cups.

Oct 8, 2010 at 6:25 PM Post #7 of 20
I also ordered new foam discs as well, the old ones were almost completely gone. And it´s the HD-250 Linear (not II). I also ordered a new cable since the old one has gotten really stiff and it doesn´t have a plug, it has a DIN-Plug instead (we Germans had some national thing comparable to the IEC). I didn´t order the original cable but the cable for the HD-650 - I tested it and it fit.

Oct 8, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #8 of 20

I know the Cable you are talking about, - it's very microphonic and quite nasty. The Linear II cable is a lot better and the HD650 cable better still.

I've had several HD250 Linears sane as yours (MK1 version with the grey cups). The construction appears to be identical to the black colored Linear II but it does not sound nearly as good as a Linear II, especially in the bass. After doing a lot of research I am sure it down to the drivers being different, though they do even look the same.

Some MK1s I have sounded quite sweet, but they just don't have that gut wrenching bass the MK2 version has. In my expereience lots of variations in sound exist between different examples of the MK2 I've had, - . I had near to 20 every single pair I had sounded different, - some drastically different to others and a few were quite poor, and only 2 or 3 really exceptional.  So it s a bit of a lottery buying a used one!

All the best,
Colin

Quote:
I also ordered new foam discs as well, the old ones were almost completely gone. And it´s the HD-250 Linear (not II). I also ordered a new cable since the old one has gotten really stiff and it doesn´t have a plug, it has a DIN-Plug instead (we Germans had some national thing comparable to the IEC). I didn´t order the original cable but the cable for the HD-650 - I tested it and it fit.

Oct 9, 2010 at 1:43 PM Post #9 of 20
The parts have arrived and the resurrection can begin...

Forgive the dramatic entrance - but considering its age the sound is remarkably good. Not neutral, not balanced but good.... and Colin, if the HD-250 Linear II does have more bass then I don´t want to hear it. Reason: the MK I really does have enough bass. Indeed, the bass response is really, really good. I´m comparing to a HD-600 and the Superlux HD-668B and compared to those the HD-250 Linear does have real punch and pressure. It also reaches deep down and is very precise. The HD-600 sounds tame in comparison. If only... the HD-250 does have recessed mids and an almost missing ground (do you call it that way?) -> Male or female voices sound quite thin, as if they are having a bad cold. Furthermore, it sounds like it amplifies the region around 9.000-10.000 Hz. While this adds beauty and sparkle to most recordings it can have the effect of a diminished ability to differentiate. Don´t get me wrong, they don´t sound "hissy".

In short, the headphone does have a built-in Loudness characteristic. Though I´m very surprised that it is done so tastefully. The bass and the high frequencies don´t drown the rest - despite the rest being diminished and a bit coloured. The sound is very refined, the soundstage is very good (although it tends to be a tiny bit flat).

I tested some binaural recordings and this headphone is so far the only closed one I´ve heard who gets them right. I´m always under the impression that resonances of closed headphones destroy the workings of HRTF... but not here. It´s 25 years old and sounds quite good - and now it even looks nice again.

Oct 9, 2010 at 2:10 PM Post #10 of 20
The Linear II can reach even lower so that means it will hit harder but the great thing is that it only does it when the recording demands it, that is why I like them so much - in fact I just bought another pair and can't wait to compare it to my other pair, I'll need new pads as well.
What you can do is order a pair of damping rings as well (those white rings under the foam), because they are also available and the original part in the MK1 is thinner - it should make the mids a bit fuller so it definitely worth a try.

Oct 9, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #11 of 20
Hi Marlene,
Good luck with resurrecting your phone!

It sounds like you have a good sounding MK1. I have had about 4 pairs of the Mk1, - all of them sounded a bit bright compared to most of the MK2 I had. The bass on all the MK2s I've had is definitely more powerful and harder hitting as well as lower reaching.
Like I say there seems to be large variations in the sound of different examples of these headphones, - its very possible you have a pair that sounds quite different to my MK1s, - I would not describe the ones I had as sounding bassy at all really so it does indeed sound like your sounds a bit different, and probably more like a typical MK2.

To improve the midrange you can try an extra stock outer damping ring under the black foam like Adam suggests or even try making your own extra damping ring, - just cut out some felt like material. I've even used some cloth like materials to good effect as well. The material can also have an influence on the sound. If you want to tame the highs you can make the hole in middle of the ring smaller than usual.

I agree with your observations vs the HD600 - the HD600s does sound tame in comparison and does not nearly reach so low in the bass as the HD250. I agree too with your comments on the resonances in general of closed black phones and the unusual lack of them with this design.

I tried the Superlux 681 and its it a lot of headphone for the low money, but for me its a bit TOO much like someone pressed the loudness button!, - I don’t find the HD250II like this though the bass is pretty prominent, - the big bass does not affect what goes on higher up in the Freq range which is what I also really like about this headphone. I have not tried the Superlux 668, - its supposed to be more neutral than the 681 but with not so much of a big bass.

All the best,
Colin

Quote:
The parts have arrived and the resurrection can begin...

Forgive the dramatic entrance - but considering its age the sound is remarkably good. Not neutral, not balanced but good.... and Colin, if the HD-250 Linear II does have more bass then I don´t want to hear it. Reason: the MK I really does have enough bass. Indeed, the bass response is really, really good. I´m comparing to a HD-600 and the Superlux HD-668B and compared to those the HD-250 Linear does have real punch and pressure. It also reaches deep down and is very precise. The HD-600 sounds tame in comparison. If only... the HD-250 does have recessed mids and an almost missing ground (do you call it that way?) -> Male or female voices sound quite thin, as if they are having a bad cold. Furthermore, it sounds like it amplifies the region around 9.000-10.000 Hz. While this adds beauty and sparkle to most recordings it can have the effect of a diminished ability to differentiate. Don´t get me wrong, they don´t sound "hissy".

In short, the headphone does have a built-in Loudness characteristic. Though I´m very surprised that it is done so tastefully. The bass and the high frequencies don´t drown the rest - despite the rest being diminished and a bit coloured. The sound is very refined, the soundstage is very good (although it tends to be a tiny bit flat).

I tested some binaural recordings and this headphone is so far the only closed one I´ve heard who gets them right. I´m always under the impression that resonances of closed headphones destroy the workings of HRTF... but not here. It´s 25 years old and sounds quite good - and now it even looks nice again.

Oct 9, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #12 of 20

Quote:
The Linear II can reach even lower so that means it will hit harder but the great thing is that it only does it when the recording demands it, that is why I like them so much - in fact I just bought another pair and can't wait to compare it to my other pair, I'll need new pads as well.
What you can do is order a pair of damping rings as well (those white rings under the foam), because they are also available and the original part in the MK1 is thinner - it should make the mids a bit fuller so it definitely worth a try.

Quote:
Hi Marlene,
Good luck with resurrecting your phone!

It sounds like you have a good sounding MK1. I have had about 4 pairs of the Mk1, - all of them sounded a bit bright compared to most of the MK2 I had. The bass on all the MK2s I've had is definitely more powerful and harder hitting as well as lower reaching.
Like I say there seems to be large variations in the sound of different examples of these headphones, - its very possible you have a pair that sounds quite different to my MK1s, - I would not describe the ones I had as sounding bassy at all really so it does indeed sound like your sounds a bit different, and probably more like a typical MK2.

To improve the midrange you can try an extra stock outer damping ring under the black foam like Adam suggests or even try making your own extra damping ring, - just cut out some felt like material. I've even used some cloth like materials to good effect as well. The material can also have an influence on the sound. If you want to tame the highs you can make the hole in middle of the ring smaller than usual.

I agree with your observations vs the HD600 - the HD600s does sound tame in comparison and does not nearly reach so low in the bass as the HD250. I agree too with your comments on the resonances in general of closed black phones and the unusual lack of them with this design.

I tried the Superlux 681 and its it a lot of headphone for the low money, but for me its a bit TOO much like someone pressed the loudness button!, - I don’t find the HD250II like this though the bass is pretty prominent, - the big bass does not affect what goes on higher up in the Freq range which is what I also really like about this headphone. I have not tried the Superlux 668, - its supposed to be more neutral than the 681 but with not so much of a big bass.

All the best,
Colin

All right you both, thank you. After I´ve read your tips I´ve copied those rings about some of the same cloth I had lying around the house. This cloth is a tiny bit thicker and I also made the hole inside it a bit smaller. Then I put both rings - the original white one and the one I did myself - back into the cases. The overamplified high frequencies were gone and the mids seemed to be a bit more prominent (around 400-700 Hz). Sadly, the bass was missing now. You see, the bass strongly depends on how much the pads press against your head. Try it out for yourself, if you press the cups tighter the bass will get stronger. So both rings diminished the pressure of the pads (my earlobes, although very small, were pushing them away from my head). The solution was to take the white original ring out of the cups. Now I have the bass as before with a bit less high frequencies. The mids still sound a bit recessed but not so bad as before. Well, it should appear that way to me subjectively because now high frequencies are less prominent which, as a logical conclusion, brings forth the remaining frequencies.

So maybe the different sound Colin perceived from the same headphones came from different pressure from the pads. Anyway, thank you both, this was a nice suggestion!
beerchug.gif

Oh, and by the way, the Superlux 668 does sound really, really good. It´s not a Sennheiser but it´s not supposed to sound like one. It definitely sounds more like a Beyerdynamic. They are a different flavor to what I´m used listening to. And that flavour sure tastes nice! I wrote a review here: http://www.soundtrackforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=257

Oct 10, 2010 at 8:54 AM Post #13 of 20
You can try and make the headband a bit tighter (like heat it up a little with a hair dryer in the middle then compress it a bit), that should bring back the bass. Another idea is to increase the sealing of the pads by filling that little hole in the back of the pads (with Blutack) it might make the sound to too U-shaped but might worth one try. Having no damping rings at all under the foam didn't sound that hot to me.

Oct 10, 2010 at 1:07 PM Post #14 of 20
Yeah from my experience with using no damping ring I agree with Adam, - it really does make the mids too sucked out. Perhaps although you have small ears they protrude/stick out more than mine do causing this problem. Pad profile can vary a lot as well, - perhaps you get some shallow profile ones. But yeah you need at least one ring in my opinion. Try sealing the little hole on the rear of the pads like Adam says (you will see it if you look) with some blutak, -that will bring a lot more bass,  and you can try the hairdryer trick too on the top of the headband, - do carefully obviously , -hold it in place in a tighter position as it cools down.
Hairdryers have been used on the HD25 as well to good effect to decrease headband pressure the other way, making the headband looser and more comfortable. 

Cheers,
Colin

Quote:
You can try and make the headband a bit tighter (like heat it up a little with a hair dryer in the middle then compress it a bit), that should bring back the bass. Another idea is to increase the sealing of the pads by filling that little hole in the back of the pads (with Blutack) it might make the sound to too U-shaped but might worth one try. Having no damping rings at all under the foam didn't sound that hot to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back