HD 555 vs. HD558 and HD598
Aug 27, 2011 at 6:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

KenAdamsNSA

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

I've searched this forum and found some similar topics to this, but I haven't seen my question in particular. I'm wondering if the Sennheiser HD555's are significantly different (worse) than the HD558 and HD598 lines. I'm a big fan of the coloring for both the 558 and the 555 (matches my black setup) and if there isn't much difference between the 555 and the 558, I'd likely save the extra $70 and grab the 555s on Amazon for about $100. I'd like to basically get the most bang for my buck around the $100-$175 range.

I currently use the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 THX for my computer, and are powered by my Supreme FX II soundcard that came with my Asus motherboard. I think my Klipsch's sound GREAT, if that gives you any indication of what my audio tastes are like. I'll primarily be using them for gaming and music (as well as a little sound editing) so any advice is appreciated. Comfort is something I'm very concerned about too, and open headphones are something I'd like to try out.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys.

Aug 27, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #2 of 7
Heya,

Have you considered getting the most bang for your buck, by looking away from Sennheiser?

Check out Superlux HD668B or the Samson SR850 (OEM of the 668B). And you can get DT770 velour pads to fit on them if you want to go cloth. Well under budget. Sounds like headphones out of your budget.

Very best,

Aug 27, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #3 of 7
HD558 is the upgrade to HD555

HD598 is the next step from HD558

Get the HD558 and do the tape mod from the HD555

The HD598 are better then the HD558, but if money is a concern, the HD558 with tape mod give you 95% the Sound Quality

Aug 27, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #4 of 7
HD558 is the upgrade to HD555

HD598 is the next step from HD558

Get the HD558 and do the tape mod from the HD555

The HD598 are better then the HD558, but if money is a concern, the HD558 with tape mod give you 95% the Sound Quality

Tape mod? I'm intrigued. Would you say the HD558s sound considerably better than the 555s?

Aug 27, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #5 of 7
Heya,

Have you considered getting the most bang for your buck, by looking away from Sennheiser?

Check out Superlux HD668B or the Samson SR850 (OEM of the 668B). And you can get DT770 velour pads to fit on them if you want to go cloth. Well under budget. Sounds like headphones out of your budget.

Very best,

I like the Samson's, but I have a hard time believing they sound so good... Never heard of the brand (pretty new to the whole audio world) but I did own Sennheisers at one point and loved their comfort and quality at a very low level. If only there were a headphone warehouse where I could try all these phones out!

Aug 27, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #6 of 7
The 558 sounds more engaging to me than the 555, with brighter highs and slightly more bass. Never heard the 598's, but word out on the street is that it's even brighter than the 558s. Regardless, all three of these headphones aren't very bassy and tend to be more focused on the mids and highs. The Promedias are a fairly warm-sounding speaker set, so you may find the Senn HD 5XX headphones to be rather cold and bright sounding. Not really sure if they'd be your cup of tea, but it's worth a try if you aren't afraid of experimenting 
smily_headphones1.gif

Also I recommend looking on eBay as they're usually cheaper there. You can usually get the 558s there for $140 or so, 598s for $180 (right now, that appears to be the price on Amazon too).

Aug 27, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
Tape mod? I'm intrigued. Would you say the HD558s sound considerably better than the 555s?

More of everything, google the tape mods, it's just a screwdriver and peel some tape out of the headphone

Quote:
I like the Samson's, but I have a hard time believing they sound so good... Never heard of the brand (pretty new to the whole audio world) but I did own Sennheisers at one point and loved their comfort and quality at a very low level. If only there were a headphone warehouse where I could try all these phones out!

If you have the money, and you already have a amp, don't go for them. They are for the "Guy who's looking for AKG but doesn't have much $$$" type of guy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back