HD 448 or ATH-M50
Mar 15, 2011 at 4:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

bogdanius

New Head-Fier
uum yea here I thought I was settled on HD448 when I just encountered ath-m50 and started to doubt....again
so here's my last question about what to pick ( I hope) for a while
so to be short in facts:
- I'm not that in bass heavy music, so if bass is clean, that's probably all what I need
- I'm student so I don't have money to buy head-blowing home stereo, so I'll be using them with ipod touch. and that means I'd need cans to have decent sound without amp.
- I walk around a lot so portability plays major role too..I don't want anyone to hear my music, nor I want to listen to noise on the street
if that plays a role in it I listen mostly to different variations of rock (from space rock to heavy),synthpop and alt.metal

Mar 15, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #4 of 21
Go with the M50. They are better than the HD448 on pretty much all fronts. The M50's have nice bass but definitely not too much. The 448's have no bass, like literally no bass. No contest to me, I'm sure tons of others will agree that the M50's are better in this matchup. Also the 448's just feel a bit cheaper and the material on the earcups feels very cheap too.

Mar 15, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #5 of 21
well seeing from your signature you owned both so I guess your statements are credible. and from overall they do seem more solid built than hd448
my only concern is that they're 38ohms and I guess that means they won't sound as good as they could on ipod without amp

UPD: on the other hand ath-m50 price is ridiculous in my country..it's like 240 bucks for pair of them..
I guess they are worthy their pirce but probably not worth over-priced tag

Mar 15, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #6 of 21
It may be that not many people have spent time with both. Did you read this thread?

I've only heard the M50, and I like it better than anything else I've heard in that price range. Still, both headphones are on Headroom's Top 10 list.

Mar 15, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #7 of 21
^ Yeah I read that thread it didn't help me much unfortunately
Now I remember that at start of my searches I struck on headroom and betwen hd448 and m50 and I was more favorable towards m50 but then I checked prices on them in mine stores and holy jesus..240 bucks..I mean they're not THAT better than hd448 to overpay 140$ for them?

Mar 15, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #8 of 21
oh well..judging from price (and I cannot afford headphones for 240$..not now unfortunately), and if to be a little design whore, I like hd448 way better than m50, I think I'd go with hd448
they're probably best headphones that suits my needs in portability,comfort and music under tag of 100$
*sigh* when I finally graduate, get a good job and finally buy kickass headphones and stereo system :|

Mar 15, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #9 of 21
Yea, the M50's aren't worth $240, you can get much better cans for that price.
Stick with your 448's if you can't get em for less than $130.

Mar 16, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #10 of 21
I realize you're going on a trip but could you try ebay or something? You're sort of skimping out on quality if you settle for the HD448's.

Mar 16, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #11 of 21
The M50s are back down to ~$120 on Amazon I think, and at B&H, but depending on where you live it'll be more expensive...
I've listened to my friend's 448s, and IMO the M50s are a lot better... They also isolate a lot better, if that's an issue...
Also, where do you live? I don't even thing the MSRP on the M50s is up to $240

Mar 16, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #13 of 21
Yea, don't go for the lesser of the two just because of a time limit. You have to think about all the time after this trip and which pair will be best in the long run.

Quote:
ukraine.woooo
and I might ebay but they are not going to deliver before arrival meow :3
dunno might give it a shot and leave on a trip with my current earphones

Mar 16, 2011 at 2:35 PM Post #14 of 21
I still in doubt about m50..I'm sure they're great cans but even if I assume that I could buy them from ebay for 110+delivery they do not work on 32ohm which means I'll need some portable amp and that costs around 100$ too so hmm mh..plus the part where it calls m50 "monitoring professional headphones" make me doubt if it's rally headphones that I can constant use outdoor

Users who are viewing this thread

Back