HD-280 vs SRH-440 (vs ATH-M50?)
Mar 25, 2011 at 6:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

SirRipo

New Head-Fier
Alright, lets do this easy, I guess. Looking to get into some more serious, but still pretty entry level headphones. I've searched and read for the last month and a half, but I don't remember seeing much this comparison.
Budget: $120ish
Use: Rock, hip-hop/rap, dubstep, techno (mostly hardstyle, trance, and DnB, with some other stuff), acoustic-y stuff (Jason Mraz and the like). Movies/tv viewing. No serious gaming, just Sims/Red Alert/Diablo II.
Needs: closed design, user-replaceable cord.
Souce: Laptop, and Zune, occasionally my phone. Will also probably buy a Fiio E5.
Size Reference: My SRH-240's are okay, but a little small. Slight pinching at the top of my head but otherwise okay. If I go one size adjustment bigger, they don't pinch at all, but feel very loose.

I had it narrowed down to the ATH-M50's, but the cable isn't exactly user-replaceable. I can solder, but not well. I'm also rough on my headphones (the strain relief on my SRH-240's gave out within 8 months). How does the cable hold up? How about the strain relief (where most of my headphones tend to break)?

So other than the M50's, my main contenders are the 280 Pro's, and the SRH-440's. I'm tempted to go with the Shure's, but how do they compare size-wise to the SRH-240's? How do the 280's compare? I have read that they usually need to be stretched quite a bit, which might be a drawback. What about sound? I like a fair amount of bass (especially when listening to dubstep or any of the techno), but don't want them to be too ridiculously bassy.

Any other questions I missed, feel free to point out/ask.

Mar 25, 2011 at 3:41 PM Post #2 of 30
not sure about the 440, but the audio technica m50 sounded better than the hd280.
Main reason was the m50 seemed to be a bit more clear in sound and more bass. (Not harsh bass at all) I wouldn't say its a huge difference, but the m50 does sound a bit better. 
I barely used the hd280 now so I ended up letting my cousin borrow it (been 6 months now lol).  I do enjoy the m50 a lot.

Mar 25, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #3 of 30
Part of my dilemma is price. The 440's are on Amazon for $85. The M50's are $120. The 440's have a user replaceable cable as do the Senn's. The M50's don't. I feel like the cheaper price and the user replaceable cable is drawing me back towards the 440's or the Senn's. I can't make up my freaking mind XD

Mar 25, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #4 of 30
So your dilemma is... 'replaceability' of cabling, VS everything else (sound quality, comfort, build quality including cabling).

I'd suggest that you get the M50, but be a bit less rough on headphones, to get the optimal effect. But hey, you are you.

Quote:
Part of my dilemma is price. The 440's are on Amazon for $85. The M50's are $120. The 440's have a user replaceable cable as do the Senn's. The M50's don't. I feel like the cheaper price and the user replaceable cable is drawing me back towards the 440's or the Senn's. I can't make up my freaking mind XD

Mar 25, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #5 of 30
i have got the shure 440, and thinking about ath m50 (150euro in my country, equal to 270$).... in whole europe is like that..... and i have sennheiser hd 380 pro.... i am still waiting for shures and ath... but i can say that senn 380 pro are just GREAT,.. huge clamping force, but very soft pads.... everything that you could want from a pair of headphones.... they never fall off, but i can fall asleep wearing them.... 

i do not give an opinion about 280, don;t know nothing about them... next week come my srh440, and maybe in a month, or two ath m50.... i am buying every brand's most apreciated headphone... why?... opinions are always different.... i have already gicen away akg 271mkii... they are awful.... muddy, no bass, not enought volume, and not enought of anything... even soundstage is worse than sennheiser 380.... i give them back to shop.... i have no amp, but cowon j3 that is known as the strongest music player at a normal price..... so i do not recomend akg, throught they were the most comfortable ones, and had the replaceble cables..... senn have this things too..... maybe shures will make me like them more.... 

Mar 26, 2011 at 4:49 AM Post #6 of 30

Quote:
So your dilemma is... 'replaceability' of cabling, VS everything else (sound quality, comfort, build quality including cabling).

I'd suggest that you get the M50, but be a bit less rough on headphones, to get the optimal effect. But hey, you are you.

That's the thing. It's not like I try to be rough on the cans, it just...happens, I guess. My 240's were fine, then one day, without warning, the left side started getting funky. Cutting out now and then, until it happened more and more often, then one day it gave out. That was my first "decent" pair of headphones, and I took damn good care of them. I never really put much strain on the plug, but the strain relief was where it gave out. If the strain relief on the M50's is good, then that might seriously change my opinion.

(image missing)%3D%3D[/img]

Mar 26, 2011 at 9:40 AM Post #7 of 30
SirRipo, I to faced the same dilema that you are now experiencing,and let me suggest that you go with the SRH440.  Besides all the advantages of the user replaceable cable, foldable design, and the signaficantly stronger construction versus the SRH240, in terms of overall sound quality the SRH440 is a clear improvement over its entry level sibling.  You'll find better clarity and music detail, a suprisingly large soundstage, excellent dynamics, a smooth very articulate midrange with a very much improved bass response.  The SRH440 are truly among the best sub 100 dollar headphones available. 

Mar 26, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #9 of 30
Well, I admit the SRH440 is not the most comfortable option in the OP price range, though I find them pretty good comfort wise myself.  Two areas where comfort might be an issue are the headband and the earpads.  While the headband is padded a bit, some may find it uncomfortable.  The earcups are big enough to fit over most ears, though the shallow depth of the earcups might be an issue for some.  A remedy if the earpads become a problem is to install SRH840 earpads instead.

Mar 26, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #11 of 30
I don't own one, so my comment here holds no weight, but I don't think the SRH440s would be all that suited to stuff like dubstep. Most reviews say that they're a bit flat on the bass side. 

The ATH-M50s have a 1 year warranty, if that's any consolation. additionally, you can find tutorials on recabling headphones here, if you're up to that.
You can also get used HD280s from ebay for around $60.

Edit: Yeah. If you're willing to buy used, this forums For Sale area and ebay are good places to look. Case in point: [Long link]

Mar 26, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #13 of 30
That's the thing. It's not like I try to be rough on the cans, it just...happens, I guess. My 240's were fine, then one day, without warning, the left side started getting funky. Cutting out now and then, until it happened more and more often, then one day it gave out. That was my first "decent" pair of headphones, and I took damn good care of them. I never really put much strain on the plug, but the strain relief was where it gave out. If the strain relief on the M50's is good, then that might seriously change my opinion.

(image missing)%3D%3D[/img]

Get M50 with coiled cord. It'll be tougher to pull the cord hard, in turn shorting the cord. The hp will sound great for the kinds of music you listed.

Mar 26, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #14 of 30
Where the M50 has the SRH440 beat is bass impact and slam, however the Shures have the edge in clarity, detail, soundstage, and overall sound quality.  Both are excellent options, but from a pure sound quality stand point, the SRH440 have edge there(from my impressions).  In the case of the SRH840, take all of the best attributes of the SRH440 add a stronger and deeper bass response, plus a even smoother midrange and you get a headphone that is clearly better than both the M50 and the SRH440.

Skerry2006aj, if the SRH840 are a bit out of your price then go for the SRH440, you'll still be getting an excellent headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back