HD-25 and tma-1 pictures
Dec 19, 2010 at 12:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

bertopl

New Head-Fier
If anyone is interested, here are some pictures of the Sennheiser HD-25-1 II and the AIAIAI tma-1. Both headphones have aftermarket cables on them. I’ve had the HD-25’s for about 4 months and was curious about the tma-1’s from all the posts here so I ended up ordering a pair last week.

(Sennheiser on the left, AIAIAI on the right)

(Earcups are noticeably bigger on the tma-1's)

(The HD-25's are much lighter and more portable)

I’m not gonna go into great detail as far as the sound goes as I don’t consider myself an audiophile. The tma-1’s do lack the treble that the HD-25’s have which is what stood out the most upon first listen. Overall, I enjoy the HD-25 sound significantly more than the tma-1’s. Maybe it’s because I’ve had them for a lot longer and am just used to them more, but I certainly remember enjoying the HD-25’s right out of the box a lot more. The sound to my ears is cleaner from the HD-25 with nice punchy bass. The tma-1’s in comparison sounded a little bit sloppy and muffled but I’m sure others will hear these two headphones differently than I do. I really did want to like the tma-1’s sound but it’s not quite doing it for me.

Some casual observations as far as aesthetics and usability go. The clamping force on the HD-25’s are tighter than on the tma-1’s so I get better isolation on the HD-25’s. The HD-25’s feel a little bit cheap and plasticky compared to the tma-1 which gives a sense of quality, but both headphones seem like they could endure a pretty good amount of abuse. I actually like the plasticky feel of the 25’s since I feel more comfortable throwing them around. The tma-1’s are noticeably heavier on the head whereas the HD-25’s now feel feather light in comparison. Also, I’ve always thought my HD-25’s looked a bit on the “geeky” side when worn. The tma-1’s are an absolutely beautiful headphone, but in my opinion they look even geekier on the head than the HD-25’s. The reason being is the cups are a bit deeper on the tma-1 which make the headband sit a whole lot farther from the head than the HD-25’s whose cups are a lot shallower. I think all things considered, although the tma-1 is a hands down beauty of a headphone, I actually feel more comfortable wearing the HD-25’s and they just feel so much more portable. Coupled with the superior sound to my ears, I greatly prefer the Sennheiser’s to the tma-1’s.

-- berto

May 27, 2011 at 10:05 AM Post #2 of 5
Thanks for this short review - pictures are great. I'm looking for headphones for ipod and will buy AIAIAI TMA-1 or Sennheiser HD 25-1 II.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back