HD 238/HD 228 vs PX 100
Sep 26, 2010 at 6:17 AM Post #46 of 52

Quote:
Hey, I was just wondering, I own a pair of hd-228's, and I LOVE them. My friend is so jealous she is consistantly stealing them from me. On one song in particular, and some others, I hear some scratchy sound in the background. I'm guessing this is distortion? But my question was, even though these headphones are superb is quality, will I still manage to find songs that are distorted?

I'm just not too sure if I'm being too picky, or if I damaged them.

P.S., I've owned them about 2 weeks, and the song is from a CD, not downloaded.

What DAP are you using? also what is the actual format and bitrate of the audio files that your having these distortion issues with?

Nov 16, 2010 at 1:05 PM Post #48 of 52
Does the designation  HD238i for ipod mean anything?  Is there a difference?  Would they both work with an IPOD and LG LOTUS Mobile Phone?

Are these HD238i  good for light jogging?  Do they let in the right amount of noise-  ie cars?

Nov 19, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #50 of 52
HD238 has good bass when used with a low-Z amp but seem weak in the mid-range. They are fine for music without vocals.

Jul 11, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #52 of 52
Quote:
DONT BUY HD238, precision is great, bass is ****....

HD 238 is considerably overbassed, like Porta Pro/PX100/90% of all consumer stuff, although the bass is smoother and more pleasant than on PX 100 (reason why I sold them and bought HD 238).

Removing the black foam, the bass gets even stronger because the padding compresses more easily and the drivers get closer to your ears (this also changes the color of the upper mids/treble, for the worse in my opinion).

The headphones can sound very good but the drivers need to be kept at a distance from your ears (you can try this by lifting the earphones slightly from your ears). I have made my own internal foam padding, thicker than the original, which shifted the sound more towards high-end (less bass, cleaner treble). The problem is that the cushion is not large enough to accommodate even thicker padding, which would be ideal.

Anyway, I mostly use IE4 for portable use nowadays (HD 238 is useless for tube commute and just marginally useful for bus).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back