HD 238/HD 228 vs PX 100
Jul 26, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #31 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by applaudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey robby, thanks for the review! One question though: have you tried the astroid mod mentioned earlier? It's perfectly safe and reversible from what I understand, so maybe try that and then tell us what you think of them after the mod. Thanks!

I tried taking out the foam. It makes them brighter. I think they are too bright already, so it did not improve them for me.

Good luck with them though. I'd still urge you to get the PX100 or HD238.

Jul 27, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #32 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by robby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried taking out the foam. It makes them brighter. I think they are too bright already, so it did not improve them for me.

Good luck with them though. I'd still urge you to get the PX100 or HD238.

It's so hard to imagine someone thinking the HD 228 are too bright before the astroid mod. I found them so dark without the mod that I almost regretted the purchase! I guess that's what makes the world go round.
regular_smile .gif

Jul 27, 2009 at 9:53 AM Post #33 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by priest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's so hard to imagine someone thinking the HD 228 are too bright before the astroid mod. I found them so dark without the mod that I almost regretted the purchase! I guess that's what makes the world go round.
regular_smile .gif

+1

Aug 12, 2009 at 3:46 PM Post #34 of 52
It was close between the PX200 and the HD228 for me as a closed design is a very important factor for me... just to add to the confusion, the shure srh240s joined in as well...

I really liked the things i was hearing about the HD228s... I liked the portability aspect of the 200s but heard they were not as bassy... and i just like the HD228s more! lol... and the shure 240s were lacking bass too apparently, didnt want to take a chance especially at twice my budget! So I've oredered the HD228s!
biggrin.gif
Hope they don't disappoint....

Aug 12, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #35 of 52
I've narrowed up (as opposed to narrowed down) my choice to include the Grado SR60i as well. (Man, Head-Fi makes things so complicated!) I would like a less laid-back, more exciting sound than the PX 100, but at the same time, I'm worried about the Grados' ergonomics. I know that Sennheiser makes very comfortable headphones, and the HD 238 seems to be no exception. So what I'm wondering is, do the HD 238 have the kind of "attack" that the Grados are known for?

Aug 13, 2009 at 1:33 AM Post #36 of 52
You still haven't chose one, applaudio? Man up, make a decicision!
wink.gif

Also I personally don't equate less exciting with "laid back". A prominent low end adds another dimension to pretty much any song.

Aug 13, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #38 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by applaudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've narrowed up (as opposed to narrowed down) my choice to include the Grado SR60i as well. (Man, Head-Fi makes things so complicated!) I would like a less laid-back, more exciting sound than the PX 100, but at the same time, I'm worried about the Grados' ergonomics. I know that Sennheiser makes very comfortable headphones, and the HD 238 seems to be no exception. So what I'm wondering is, do the HD 238 have the kind of "attack" that the Grados are known for?

I would definitely say that the HD 238 do not have the dynamics of a Grado (or at least the two I've owned, the SR125 and the RS2). I suppose they have a hair more than the PX 100, but that's a tougher call. You are also correct that the HD 238 shames the Grados in the comfort department. And take your time -- I admire your restraint. No need to buy a different pair of headphones every six weeks.

Nov 16, 2009 at 8:02 AM Post #40 of 52
I had the PX100 and HD238 at the same time for a few weeks. I have also auditioned Grados SR60i's and SR80i's.
I like the PX100 a lot and would be my first choice for an all purpose unexpensive portable pair of headphones. While the HD238 sound is fuller and with more bass, it doesn't have the "fun factor" that the PX100 has. The PX100 sounds more "holographic" to me.
Now the Grados, specially the SR80i's, are a full step above in SQ than any of the other headphones but they sound brighter and are not as portable or comfortable as the Sennheisers.

Nov 16, 2009 at 11:15 AM Post #41 of 52
I'm not a millionaire, but for the asking price of the PX100/KSC75 etc, I cant see how you could go too far wrong with any of these headphones. It just comes down to managing your expectations and realising that 'good for the price' doesnt equate to 'best headphone evah, mon !'

Jun 25, 2010 at 9:09 PM Post #45 of 52
Hey, I was just wondering, I own a pair of hd-228's, and I LOVE them. My friend is so jealous she is consistantly stealing them from me. On one song in particular, and some others, I hear some scratchy sound in the background. I'm guessing this is distortion? But my question was, even though these headphones are superb is quality, will I still manage to find songs that are distorted?

I'm just not too sure if I'm being too picky, or if I damaged them.

P.S., I've owned them about 2 weeks, and the song is from a CD, not downloaded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back