HD 201 Velour Pad Mod=Squeeze the value out of those $20 headphones
Aug 3, 2011 at 1:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

TrantaLocked

100+ Head-Fier
I lived with my HD 201s for a couple years dealing with the lack of bass until I finally decided to upgrade, mainly for more bass and better sound quality. I bought and extensively used the HD 438s, which sounded good and I thought I would keep them even though they didn't give the bass I really wanted.

Then I tried the HD 438s pads on my HD 201. I was shocked; instant increase in bass and horizontal sound stage. I bought a pair of the HD 438 earpads from Sennheiser over the phone and did a direct comparison between the HD 201s and the HD 438s with the same ear pads. Once again, I was shocked by what I heard. The HD 438s no longer sounded like they were worth $90, but more like $50 at most. After a few songs I decided the HD 201s held so much value for $20, and then add the fact I could get $90 back by returning the HD 438s and keep the HD 201s with the new pads. I recommend that with a brand new pair of HD 201s you wear the headphones with the stock pads as they should sound decent with the still tight head band clamp. Over time, as the headband loses its force and thus perceived bass decreases, you will find more of a need for the better pads, which should immediately make the phones fit more tightly. 

The pads can be found here: http://www.sennheiserusa.com/serviceandsupport_part-finder

The ear pads are found under the product model "HD 438". The pads will come within a week. They go for a bit over $15 including tax and shipping, so the investment is definitely worth it. If you have any Sennheiser around ear phone with the pleather pads and are looking for more bass, try these out!

Sep 14, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #2 of 15
Sorry to bump this, but how do you actually remove the HD 201's earpads? Mine seems glued in.

Dec 3, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:
Sorry to bump this, but how do you actually remove the HD 201's earpads? Mine seems glued in.

They take a bit of effort to get out, but you have to be careful at the same time. The plastic notches that keep the pads in can break easily, as one of mine broke, though the pad with the broken notch still stays in place fine. 

Have you tried the new pads yet? If so, pretty crazy difference right? 

I'm still using my HD 201s, and they have been used so much that the plastic film covering over the head pad at the top has worn away to reveal a velour-like material. I don't have my original pads with me, but I think it may be the same with those. Even still, the original pads have less "chunk" or width to them compared to the HD 438 pads, causing the ears to touch the drive casing and prevent a good seal. 

Apr 17, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #5 of 15
Found this thread after googling about these headphones, I got said pads, cant believe the difference they make! I went into it not expecting much but it seems a pair of Velour pads completely change these cans, the bass is so much more powerful and forceful, a little overpowering with some music but for the £20 these cost and the £5 the pads were its definitely a major improvement.

Oct 14, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #6 of 15
I signed up just to respond to this. I read this post about a week ago because I bought my HD201's used and the ear pads had been worn out. So I bought the ones for the 438's from the website and they feel so good against my ears!!! I have also noticed an increase in noise cancellation. super good.

Jan 23, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #7 of 15
I am both surprised and happy to say that I still use the same pair of HD 201s with the modded ear pads. I've listened to other high end headphones, and honestly these headphones with the cup mod sound not too far from models a hundred+ dollars more. The sound, of course with the mod, is definitely incredible for the price. The mid range hump that the drivers have really give electric guitar some amazing texture. Hearing texture in general is easy because of how dropped off the bass is naturally, and the new cups definitely bring out the existing bass more without destroying the fine textures. It is an interesting sound that may be an acquired taste. Not the smoothest sound, but again, amazing for electric guitar and metal in general.

My main drawback is vocal reproduction. I think most higher end headphones produce vocals in a more lifelike and clear way, and it can sometimes be obvious if you are A/B testing. The HD 201 is not a very balanced headphone, and even with the pads I wouldn't say it is very natural. Better than a V curved headphone, which is almost everything now a days unfortunately.

Nov 2, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #8 of 15
Hi i've also changed the pads with sennheiser pads from 419/439 part number 534440.
What's to it:
+ they are now more comfortable the ear doesn't touch the plastic, the ear doesn't sweat that much
+ they seal better the outside noise
+ they create a better sound pressure thus the sound is a bit warmer, the lower frequencies are a bit more pronounced.
- they cost
they are a perfect fit for the 201 see for yourself in pictures( not the best quality but you'll figure it out)
Untitled.png
IMG_2243.jpg
IMG_2232.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #9 of 15
I just replaced my pair and tried the new set of HD 201s out of the box new with the stock pads and discovered something interesting.

This headset, while the head band is still really tight out of the box, sounds amazing with the stock pads. There is a unique fullness provided by more pronounced lower mids, the staging is vivid, and the sound is huge. Drums sound incredible. But it likely has a good amount to do with the head band still being tight fitting. The HD 201 band loses its clamping force very quickly, and the sound likely changes dramatically as that process occurs.

I would even say that brand new stock HD 201 with tight clamp > HD 201 with velour pads. For now I am keeping the stock pads on, and may eventually swap once the band becomes too loose. I still have my very first HD 201 (right channel out), which is so loose fitting at this point that I can't lean forward without it sliding off.

Dec 11, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #10 of 15
Hi i've also changed the pads with sennheiser pads from 419/439 part number 534440.
What's to it:
+ they are now more comfortable the ear doesn't touch the plastic, the ear doesn't sweat that much
+ they seal better the outside noise
+ they create a better sound pressure thus the sound is a bit warmer, the lower frequencies are a bit more pronounced.

Heprer - I just tried the pads from my hd429 on my hd201 and found that they produced a bit more "sparkle" to the high end. The pads are a tight fit - a very tight fit - in fact the hd201 pads feel a bit loose when put on the hd429. The results are very interesting.

By the way, in case anyone wonders, the hd429 pads appear to be pleather, not velour.

Dec 12, 2014 at 3:11 AM Post #11 of 15
Just my0.02$:
"The pads are a tight fit - a very tight fit" When i've changed the pads my hd201 were already 4 yr old, but as far as i remember i've never had any issues with clamping force more so because the 534440 pads have more padding, now it "hugs" my head just about right.
"they produced a bit more "sparkle" to the high end" I didn't notice that... maybe because the driver is further away from the ear... or because the hd429 pads are made of pleather and maybe sound bounce off of it. I don't think that by changing the pads you can influence the high end frequencies.
The 534440 pads, because they are covered in cloth and they make a better seal with the head vs pleather they create a better sound pressure, thus the increased presence in the lower frequencies that i hear.
534441 pads are pleather
534440 pads are cloth

Dec 12, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #12 of 15
Just my0.02$:
"The pads are a tight fit - a very tight fit" When i've changed the pads my hd201 were already 4 yr old, but as far as i remember i've never had any issues with clamping force more so because the 534440 pads have more padding, now it "hugs" my head just about right.
"they produced a bit more "sparkle" to the high end" I didn't notice that... maybe because the driver is further away from the ear... or because the hd429 pads are made of pleather and maybe sound bounce off of it. I don't think that by changing the pads you can influence the high end frequencies.
The 534440 pads, because they are covered in cloth and they make a better seal with the head vs pleather they create a better sound pressure, thus the increased presence in the lower frequencies that i hear.
534441 pads are pleather
534440 pads are cloth

I didn't mean they fit my head tighter. I meant the pads were a tight fit onto the earcups. Sorry if I was not very clear about that.

Dec 12, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #13 of 15
Yea you are right about that, they have given me trouble putting them on. The pads don't snap right on it, eventually i've managed to slide them under the plastic holders. They fit and that's what matters. And my bad, now i've read again your post and wander how the heck did i misunderstood it.

Dec 30, 2014 at 1:06 AM Post #14 of 15
I tried this mod out and I must say it made a world of difference.  I first tried the pads from my HD429s and I liked the improvement so I ordered the velour pads (for the HD438) and wow.  The velour pads were definitely harder to install than the pads from my 429s even though they look to be almost identical in shape and size.  They're much more comfortable and much better sounding cans now.  I really notice the low end is tightened up, some of the sharpness in the high end is tamed and the soundstage is wider and even slightly more front to back (I suppose from the driver being further away from my ear).

For a $20 pair of cans plus a $15 pair of replacement pads I would say this sounds on par or better than far more expensive cans.  These are far from neutral headphones, but you're going to have to spend 3 times as much (including the cost of the new pads) to get any better than this.  They definitely sound better than my HD429s (which I am very disappointed with), and retail for much less.

Mar 25, 2016 at 10:32 PM Post #15 of 15
Initially when I first got these Sennheiser HD 201's I HATED them. The way the sounded was like I was in a large warehouse and some guy put a small boombox at the other end. The sound was just plain bad and these things were uncomfortable! With the help of this forum I did the cotton ball mod where you stuff cotton into the cups of the headphones behind the drivers and then you replace the stock pads and this made a HUGE difference. I tried the bluetack mod with silly putty but I wasn't a huge fan of it because it made vocals sound very muffled.

With this mod these headphones are MUCH more comfortable and the sound along with the cotton mod is MUCH better. Vocals sound more realistic and the music seems to sound clearer[clearer treble]. Overall these $15 earpads are well worth the money because I can actually daily driver these now instead of my ears getting a rashed out nasty. On a side note I also ordered similar pads for my HD 202's and they should arrive here shortly as well. One thing I will say is buying these pads off eBay you basically have to wait several weeks before they arrive. Also to those of you who think that stuffing cotton into the stock ear pads will simulate this it will NOT. The cotton in the earpads mod is OK to take away some of the chaffing that happens however these pads are MUCH thicker and provide waaaay more comfort.

Thank you OP!

Also for some reason I cannot upload photos but when I figure out how to do this I'll upload them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back