Hawaii Head-fi meet: Stax SRM-717/Omega II vs. Emmeline II Stealth/HD650
Mar 21, 2004 at 4:53 PM Post #31 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch

I was hoping to be able to escape buying a pair, based on early results, but will probably spring for a pair sooner or later, after a taste of what they can do. They aren't going to replace my dynamic cans, though.

Hirsch,
Once Vert gave me the full audition treatment, I knew it was only a matter of time...
tongue.gif

Mar 21, 2004 at 4:56 PM Post #32 of 44
Quote:

They were decent but unimpressive for about six hours (new cans at that time), but after being on all day suddenly came to life.

Wow. That seems like a really long time to warm up. If I had that kind of performance with a woman, I don't imagine I'd be seeing her anytime soon. Do these things need a little pill
wink.gif
?

I've heard the the o2's several times. Best by far was with a KGSS amp, and a Cary 306/200 source (balanced Cardas Neutral Ref IC's, I think). It did not take anywhere near that long to hit it's stride, imo. Bass was very extended, and nowhere near what could be categorized as sloppy. Overall they were just plain awesome. These were not brand new though, as were the ones heard at the recent DC meet.

Other times I've heard the o2's was with Stax amps (313 & 007T), and they did not sound as good by a wide margin. Perhaps it's the amps that are at fault as well?

Mar 21, 2004 at 6:15 PM Post #33 of 44
i'm not sure i'd go as far as to say that omega 2 sounds "sloppy" but they're incredibly transparent and just sound like whatever they're plugged into. this makes the sound fairly unfortunate when plugged into say the 007t.

hirsch seems to feel that they sounded better after running for a few hours, an interesting idea. i've heard the same talk of he90 though. personally, it sounds a bit crazy to me. omega 2 seems to just always sound good on my setup, warmup or not. if warmup is ever a concern in my setup, i tend to blame the source more than anything else. i've heard a few odd things over the years (with different amps AND headphones) when listening to a source that was just turned on and playing, slight little channel imbalances and such. scary at the time, but never proved to be any real problem.

audio is such a pain in the ass sometimes.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 21, 2004 at 6:46 PM Post #34 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
hirsch seems to feel that they sounded better after running for a few hours, an interesting idea.

It's important to note that these Omega 2's were new, with only about 20+ total hours on them at the start of the meet. Part (or all) of the slow start up may have been due to break-in of new cans.

Mar 22, 2004 at 2:13 AM Post #35 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by pigmode
I'll call for another meet when I return from my trip, Apr 8.

I don't really have much to bring to the table (mid-level gear), but can I get in on one of these meets?

Mar 22, 2004 at 2:48 AM Post #36 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by Sultan165
I don't really have much to bring to the table (mid-level gear), but can I get in on one of these meets?

Once Vert's Stax stuff goes away, they really won't be much to listen to. If we have it at my place, we could listen my Bose/Sony speaker rig!! LOL But I don't see much else to do...

Mar 22, 2004 at 3:17 AM Post #38 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by pigmode
Unfortunately, I won't be a headphone guy till summer, when I'll probably go with the Eddie. I have a decent speaker rig I'm told...

Man, I wish I could fit a speaker rig like yours in a dorm room. Too bad it'd be a bit too loud...

Mar 22, 2004 at 9:55 AM Post #41 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by davidmiya
I'm not sure about the rest of the Hawaii guys, but I'm a high school student (at Punahou) and will be going off to UCSD or USC next year.

Wow, high school and you have all that stuff. That's pretty sweet.
Also, congrats on getting into those two schools. I would steer you towards one of the schools, but I am a little biased.

Mar 22, 2004 at 3:18 PM Post #42 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by Sultan165
Are all you guys students at UH too?

lol. Millerdog is. You haven't filled out your equipment profile and preferences etc. We should all definitely get together and listen to some music soon.

Mar 23, 2004 at 1:28 AM Post #44 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by davidmiya
I listen "VERY" loud and tended to get within a few degrees of maxing the volume on the Stax amp.

Possibly because you're going deaf from all the loud music!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back