Hawaii Head-fi meet: Stax SRM-717/Omega II vs. Emmeline II Stealth/HD650
Mar 20, 2004 at 10:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

davidmiya

500+ Head-Fier
This would probably be the first Hawaii Head-Fi mini-meet in about 2-3 years. I met Vertigo exclusively to hear the SRM-717 and Stax Omega II combo. This mini-meet was unlike any other meet with lots of people, food, long/loud conversations, and rapid changes and gear-swaps. It was just the two of us in this room listening to each other's systems. It was relatively quiet, and free from disturbance.

The gear at this meet was as follows:

My setup:
Monster Power HTS-5100 SS
Absolute PCs
Pioneer DV-47Ai (Modwright transport modded)
Transparent Premium Digital Cable
Bel Canto DAC2
Cardas Neutral Reference ICs
RS Audio Emmeline II Stealth
Sennheiser HD650

Vertigo's setup:
Audio Prism Quietlines
Monster Power HTS-2000
Zu Mother PCs
Arcam FMJ CD23T
Zcable Live V5 ICs
Stax SRM-717
Stax SR-007 Omega II

I got to pretty much cycle through all of my favorite CDs at this meet and got the chance to really listen closely to the fine details. Ok, here it goes.

Stax SRM-717/Omega II:

When I first put on the phones, what struck me first was the weight. The Omega IIs weren't heavy and metallic like I thought they would be. Rather, they felt almost as if they were floating on my head due to that nice soft leather headband. At first the "D" shaped ear cups got me confused. But I figured out how to position them properly to get a good seal. In general, these phones are the least intrusive and least "noticeable" of any set of phones I've ever had the chance to audition. The CD3000's were pretty comfortable from my recolection, but tended to move around a little bit too much.

The first CD I put on was one of Kenny G's CD's. I usually use this CD to test the midrange and peak treble response of phones. It also has some pieces with som heavy bass, so it serves a double purpose. Since I was really curious about the bass, I instantly skipped to that track. Man was I BLOWN away. I swear that the bass I heard was just as percussive as with the HD650's. It also appeared to go just as low as the Sennheiser bass. The only differences were a lack of bone-shattering vibration and excessive resonance. Bascially what I'm saying is that, you can still have "slam" and "impact" but not have the physical vibration that you hear with a subwoofer. To me, this bass is not as "real" but acceptable enough for my purposes. Though, I must say one thing. The bass, which most attribue to the SRM-717 is somewhat muddy at higher volumes (I listen loud) and tends to spread out a bit. this attribute is probably the thing that bothered me most about this system.

The midrange on the Stax system actually seemed quite in-balance to me. It wasn't too recessed (like in the HD600) and it wasn't too forward (like the Grados). I felt that it landed in a happy medium. Actually, on second thought, the presentation was just a tad laid-back...just enough to give the music a polite, non-grating feel. The midrange itself was very very very crisp and clear. I heard no harshness, but still heard sharp leading edges and precise transients. Basically, the voices and instruments sounded very natural and controlled. Unlike with my dynamic rig, I didn't get much sibilance.

The treble was not really the highlight of this system. It is definitely not as crisp at the Stealth treble. However, I must comment that the Stealth treble can get a bit splashy at times and can lead to minor fatigue at higher listening levels. The treble on the Stax system seemed a bit rolled off on the very top end. However, it still had punch and was generally "satisfactory." To add to my previous comment about sibilance, perhaps there was little sibilance because the top end was rolled off.

Overall, I'd say that the Stax sound is very "fast" and "transparent." By fast, the leading edges are generally crisp and there is no smearing or mushiness or lag. By transparent, there is blackness between the notes and a sense of delicacy. There is no extra reverb, but there is still that all-important decay. I think people tend to mix up decay with bad reverberations that were not part of the original recording. I believe that the Stax setup has none of those bad reverberations that many dynamic setups suffer from. Sennheiser has attempted to reduce this reverberations by using some silk padded as well as an open-air design. They get pretty far, but not far enough my my opinion.

The detail in these phones is insane. It doesn't just pick up treble detail, but conveys the entire spectrum with near-equal accuracy. I would say that the Stax system picks up just as much detail as the ER-4S, but with none of the compressed soundstage and tinny sound. Speaking of soundstage, the Omega II's image a tad better than my dynamic rig. In comparison, my dynamic rig sounds somewhat "flat" and compressed. It's as if the musicians are standing in a 2D plane and really aren't spread out around me like they should. In general, I'd like to say that the Omega II's were slightly more engaging, but not by a big degree.

Basically, there was a tradeoff going on between delicacy, details and accuracy of the Stax and pure power, punch, and treble of my dynamic rig. While I really like the visceral impact of the Senns, the sound feels muddy to me after hearing the Stax. The feeling of putting the Sennheisers back on after listening to the Stax's for almost an hour was something like "Hmmm, did the sound just get worse, or are my perceptions forever changed?" I think the latter occured. The Senns have a great sound that I personally like. However, I now feel that they just don't portray all that there is to hear in a recording. While the physical part of a headphone-listening experience is important nonetheless, the mental part is probably most important. The Stax have so much detail and imaging to offer that the mind is captivated...note the word "captivated" and not simply just interested.

All in all, I'd say that Vertigo's setup was pretty amazing. However, not as great as I thought it should have been. I think my perceptions have already been warped by listening to great headphones for such a long time. I keep on forgetting about the rule of diminishing returns. The Stax are better, but maybe only 10% "better". I hate to use the word "better" because it can mean so many things. I'd like to define "better" allowing the listener to get "lost" in the music and not have to think about the phones on his head. Everyone knows that this experience is subjective, so this 10% may be meaningless to you. However, I'm sure that my opinions on the general sound of the Omegas may have been helpful to many. Judging by the publicity that the Omega II's have been getting lately by Nik and Kevin, I'd like so say that they are somewhat overhyped. They definitley aren't the last word in audio. My BOSE/Sony composite speaker system blows the Stax Omega II's out of the water in every way. Bose isn't a great company for high-end, but can sound not-bad with a great source and decent amplification.

I think people just need to get a few things straight in their heads. The best headphone system in the world won't solve your upgraditus problems because headphones simply don't offer what a speaker setup can offer. However what it can offer is a close, intimate listen that has the ability to extract the smallest details and "whisper" them into your ears. It's a very personal experience as opposed to the flamboyant experience attributed to speaker setups.

Anyways, those were my opinions on our little meet. Will I actually sell my dynamic rig and buy an electrostatic rig? Maybe, maybe not. I will definitely have to think on it a little bit more before I jump to any conclusions. Though, if you were to hold a gun to my head and tell me to make a choice between the two setups, I'd probably pick the Stax setups just because of the details and transparency. However, I'm sure the line would become more indistinct with more listening.

Mar 20, 2004 at 10:36 AM Post #2 of 44
Nice... damn it'd be so great to take a listen to those expensive setups.

Mar 20, 2004 at 10:36 AM Post #3 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by davidmiya
Judging by the publicity that the Omega II's have been getting lately by Nik and Kevin, I'd like so say that they are somewhat overhyped. They definitley aren't the last word in audio. My BOSE/Sony composite speaker system blows the Stax Omega II's out of the water in every way.

hahaha

thanks for the impressions. i don't agree with them, but at least they'll help kill how "overhyped" the omega 2's are..
rolleyes.gif

Mar 20, 2004 at 10:59 AM Post #5 of 44
Mastergill, he's already got $$ behind them! (Roughly $3500 worth of $$.)

Thanks for the review. Very interesting. It'll be fascinating to see what Vertigo has to say.

Just out of curiosity, what is in your Bose/Sony system?

Mar 20, 2004 at 11:40 AM Post #6 of 44
I actually don't have much to say. My only goal was to check out the HD650s, but I only had about 15-20 minutes with them, since we only met for about 45 mins and I wanted David to have most of the time with the gear. I also had to compete with David's music which was pouring out the back's of the Omega IIs, so it was literally like auditioning with a pair of speakers playing in the background.
wink.gif
Our listening levels were obviously quite different...while I can't go beyond the labeled 2 on the Stax knob, David had it anywhere between 5-7.
eek.gif

But in any event, I didn't think the HD650s were all that different from the HD600s...I'd say its still a good 90% of the HD600's sound. I do believe that the infamous veil is gone, although that could've been an effect of my system's cabling. Unfortunately, one of the more annoying elements of the HD600, the midbass hump, was still there to my ears, constantly crunching my ears with dose after dose of heavy, visceral bass. This was rather disappointing since I had geared my system towards producing a leaner bass to begin with to match the Omega IIs.

On the audible range, the Omega II's bass goes lower to my ears than the HD650s. I get more of the visceral feeling that the bass is decaying with the HD650s, and yet the audible side of the bass doesn't match the physical sensation. With the Omega IIs, the bass is nothing but audible, and one can clearly hear it dropping way, way down there.

The treble to my ears still has the same spread out, diffused sound that the HD600s gave the treble...that is, it's still splashy sounding. I had been hoping for a more focused, tighter treble response, so that was another disappointment.

The soundstage was very much two dimensional compared to the Omega II's soundstage, particularly in the way the HD600s dealt with a lead voice. The three blobs in the head sensation was quite strong with the HD650s. Vocals are also projected much closer with the HD650s than with the Omega IIs, which project vocals farther away, giving a slight sensation of depth.

One thing that did impress me though...the HD650s actually presented inner details surprisingly well, and had a pretty solid transient response. I was expecting to hear details mushed together, but that did not happen at all. How much of it is the HD650s, and how much of it was my system backing it up, would be an interesting question for me.

I think that's all I have to say on the HD650s. Take these impressions with a huge grain of salt, as the amp used was a maxed META42, and the HD650s had stock cables. I suspect playing with aftermarket cables for the HD650s would help it out in the areas that wasn't too happy with. I used the HD650s with my own system as I couldn't find a comfortable volume setting with the Stealth's stepped volume knob.

Mar 20, 2004 at 11:53 AM Post #7 of 44
Thanks for the impressions Vert!

Yeah, I'd say that our listening level are very different, so much so that we can't really talk about the "usual" sound quality classifications. I listen "VERY" loud and tended to get within a few degrees of maxing the volume on the Stax amp. On my Stealth amp, I usually get halfway while Vert got overwhelmed after the first couple clicks on the stepped atennuator.

Mar 20, 2004 at 1:47 PM Post #8 of 44
Quote:

Judging by the publicity that the Omega II's have been getting lately by Nik and Kevin, I'd like so say that they are somewhat overhyped. They definitley aren't the last word in audio. My BOSE/Sony composite speaker system blows the Stax Omega II's out of the water in every way.

ouch, Hahaha, that's pretty funny but it helps put things in perspective as far as tastes go.

Mar 20, 2004 at 6:12 PM Post #9 of 44
Were you running stock tubes on the Stealth?

I think the Omega IIs are better than HD650. Omega IIs on KGSS is better to me than 650s on BlockHead. on the 717, I was not that impressed either.

If you really want to battle electrostatics on detail, you'll need another headphone
k1000smile.gif

Mar 20, 2004 at 8:02 PM Post #11 of 44
Am I the only one who fears for Dave's hearing?
confused.gif

Quote:

lack of bone-shattering vibration and excessive resonance.

Quote:

(I listen loud)

Quote:

had to compete with David's music which was pouring out the back's of the Omega IIs, so it was literally like auditioning with a pair of speakers playing in the background.

Staxes aren't for everyone.

They are definitely not for "I like my music loud" bass heads.

Mar 20, 2004 at 8:12 PM Post #12 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by bootman
They are definitely not for "I like my music loud" bass heads.

I'm not really a bass head. But playing music loud just gets the experience one step closer to acoustics of a speaker system. But as you say, it's all a matter of taste...no one is "right" per say...

Mar 20, 2004 at 8:43 PM Post #14 of 44
Quote:

I'm not really a bass head. But playing music loud just gets the experience one step closer to acoustics of a speaker system. But as you say, it's all a matter of taste...no one is "right" per say...

But in this case it seems that you listen to headphones at a level that will cause hearing loss down the road.
(if it hasn't started already)

I know you want the "impact" of speakers but cans put the drivers right at your ear.
It isn't 8 feet away like speakers.

If you have to turn it up that loud, IMO something is wrong.

Maybe basehead was the wrong term.
This really doesn't have anything to do with the kind of music one listen too.
It does have everything to do with being able to listen to anything when you are 40.

Mar 20, 2004 at 8:57 PM Post #15 of 44
his hearing won't last very long at this rate. Seriously, many poeple had to give up their headphone systems due to terrible hearing problems from listening to music too loud. Who knows how much damage you have cause already, if you keep it up you should be deaf by middle age. So ease up on the volume and protect your hearing (what's left), once the damage is done, it never comes back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back