Having a tough time picking out closed and some what portable-ish HP's
Feb 1, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #16 of 24

Quote:
I love my Denon AH-D5000 if size isn't too big an issue. I wouldn't be thrilled throwing them in a backpack though. I'm a prog-metal listener and they sound great. I love folk and classical through them as well. Good luck on your search!

PS...They have a really neat little amp for about $350 called the TTVJ. That should take care of limiting you to no amp...in the future. No need to go spending all kinds of money right away. 

well i do have the E7 as a portable amp/dac. yes, the D5000's are nice, but im not so sure i can find them within my budget so the D2000's would be the alternative

Feb 1, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #17 of 24
You might be right. I was thinking that you could get them used pretty decently. Guess not. At least not on Amazon. Maybe the 2000 will be the way to go. 

Feb 1, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #18 of 24
the only issue with the D2000's is i've heard they leak sound in and out. if i was listening at a moderate level (i never really go past half on my itouch with my other portables [triports
triportsad.gif
]) would the leakage be much of a problem?

Feb 1, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #19 of 24
I thought they were a semi-open can when I herd them at 32 ohm audio and by herd them I mean my friend was listening to them and I could hear them.

Feb 1, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #21 of 24

Quote:
Quote:
Senn HD25 MKII??? I guess he means the HD 25-1 II. Anyways, I wouldn't emphasize on the "EASY" to drive part. They should be used with an amp.

Btw, if you care about looks, be careful. The Senn HD 25 don't look too good.

Nonsense these sen can adequately driven by an iPod with really  loud volume (which is not necessary considering brilliant isolation). Any headphone would sound better with an amp.

Nonsense? Adequately? It seems our understanding of the word "adequately" differs very much, or you just have low standards.

The HD 25-1 II is power hungry, if you're gonna have them hooked up to an iPod, you'll have to almost max out the volume to get any decent sound. There's a difference between sounding loud, and sounding good.

And no, not all headphones would sound better with an amp. Some benefit a lot from one, others not much, and others barely to not at all.

Feb 2, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #22 of 24
The M50 get my vote here as they are a great value, they fold into a sack, are very easily driven, are extremely comfortable, they isolate well, look good... oh, and they sound great too!

Have you heard any of the ones you've mentioned?

Feb 2, 2011 at 11:24 AM Post #23 of 24

Quote:
The M50 get my vote here as they are a great value, they fold into a sack, are very easily driven, are extremely comfortable, they isolate well, look good... oh, and they sound great too!

Have you heard any of the ones you've mentioned?

unfortunately no, the only hifi audio shop in my city doesn't carry any of the models i've mentioned, and they don't carry any im really interested in

Feb 2, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #24 of 24

The HD25-1 II's are the most easily driven real headphones i've had my hands on. They needed even less volume than the MS1i's I've had straight out of a Cowon i9 and they sounded very good.
It's just that they also scale well with higher end gear. Unamped they sound very good, amped they sound awesome.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Senn HD25 MKII??? I guess he means the HD 25-1 II. Anyways, I wouldn't emphasize on the "EASY" to drive part. They should be used with an amp.

Btw, if you care about looks, be careful. The Senn HD 25 don't look too good.

Nonsense these sen can adequately driven by an iPod with really  loud volume (which is not necessary considering brilliant isolation). Any headphone would sound better with an amp.

Nonsense? Adequately? It seems our understanding of the word "adequately" differs very much, or you just have low standards.

The HD 25-1 II is power hungry, if you're gonna have them hooked up to an iPod, you'll have to almost max out the volume to get any decent sound. There's a difference between sounding loud, and sounding good.

And no, not all headphones would sound better with an amp. Some benefit a lot from one, others not much, and others barely to not at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back