Having a tough time picking out closed and some what portable-ish HP's
Feb 1, 2011 at 3:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

JPresz

100+ Head-Fier
Currently i own a pair of K701's and quite enjoy how they sound with almost any genre of music. I'm trying to get something that i can take to school, but they don't have to be "strictly portable", as long as the E7 will power them enough. i listen to mostly classic rock and a bit of metal.

so far i've considered:
DT 770/250 (not concerned about the portability, i'd even take my K701's out if they were closed)
HFI 780
AKG K271 MKII
D2000
M50

my price range is probably going to be around $350(canadian) or under not including shipping. any suggestions or opinions would be great

Feb 1, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #2 of 24
The sen HD25 MKII
are simply stunning, incredible sound quality and durability (not really its plastic but compared to other headphones) and VERY easy to drive. A few seconds of intense stretching and wearing for a few days should make them very conferrable. Add 650 cable and you got a great headphone (FIIIO E5 will distort sound)

Feb 1, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #3 of 24

Quote:
Currently i own a pair of K701's and quite enjoy how they sound with almost any genre of music. I'm trying to get something that i can take to school, but they don't have to be "strictly portable", as long as the E7 will power them enough. i listen to mostly classic rock and a bit of metal.

so far i've considered:
DT 770/250 (not concerned about the portability, i'd even take my K701's out if they were closed)
HFI 780
AKG K271 MKII
D2000
M50

my price range is probably going to be around $350(canadian) or under not including shipping. any suggestions or opinions would be great

Not sure if you've seen Beyers in person or not. I wouldn't wear anything full size on my head in public, but if you would, I doubt you'd mind the Beyers. Idk what it is, but I feel like Beyers LOOK big in pictures - they really aren't. I'd say they are fairly small actually.

Feb 1, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #4 of 24

Quote:
Quote:

so far i've considered:
HFI 780
AKG K271 MKII
D2000
M50

Not sure if you've seen Beyers in person or not. I wouldn't wear anything full size on my head in public, but if you would, I doubt you'd mind the Beyers. Idk what it is, but I feel like Beyers LOOK big in pictures - they really aren't. I'd say they are fairly small actually.

well it wasn't the size issue, i've seen video reviews and i know they arent that big. i had the long cable in mind when i wrote that

Feb 1, 2011 at 5:02 PM Post #6 of 24
well, i'm sort of looking for something i can use at home through the e7/e9 combo (something to use other than my K701's once in a while) as well as at school through the e7. i'm not really looking for a "portable only" pair of headphones

Feb 1, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #7 of 24

Quote:
well, i'm sort of looking for something i can use at home through the e7/e9 combo (something to use other than my K701's once in a while) as well as at school through the e7. i'm not really looking for a "portable only" pair of headphones

What makes headphones "portable only"?  You could use IEM's only at home laying in bed if you wanted.  The HD25's are compact enough to take with you on the go, and strong enough to be thrown into a bag.  That doesn't make them "portable only".  Headphones are "portable only" if you decide to use them only when you're on the go.

Feb 1, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #9 of 24

Quote:
i'm not looking for something compact. i'd like a full size pair of headphones.

What's wrong with your K701's then?  So far you've not really listed any reasons why you want new headphones.  You want something portable enough to take to school but you don't want something compact.  Yet you already own ones that you like that aren't compact.  That makes no sense... 
confused_face_2.gif

EDIT:  I guess the only thing you've mentioned is that they need to be closed.  That still doesn't limit down your choices a whole lot.

Feb 1, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #11 of 24
Senn HD25 MKII??? I guess he means the HD 25-1 II. Anyways, I wouldn't emphasize on the "EASY" to drive part. They should be used with an amp.

Btw, if you care about looks, be careful. The Senn HD 25 don't look too good.

Feb 1, 2011 at 6:52 PM Post #12 of 24

Quote:
Senn HD25 MKII??? I guess he means the HD 25-1 II. Anyways, I wouldn't emphasize on the "EASY" to drive part. They should be used with an amp.

i do care about the look a tiny bit. the reason id rather not get them is because the look, and i want something full sized, not compact

Feb 1, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #13 of 24

Quote:
Quote:

i do care about the look a tiny bit. the reason id rather not get them is because the look, and i want something full sized, not compact

Well, what do you mean with full size? The HD 25 is no IEM, lol. Yes, it is portable, but it's full sized. Supra-aural instead of circumaural, tho.

The HD 25 looks awesome on pictures, honestly. You know, those you find in the Sennheiser website, all photoshoped and stuff. But be careful, it's live, in person, where you may get dissapointed.

Other than that, if you don't mind a very aggresive, bright sound signature (which might be what you're looking for), and a small soundstage, they sound pretty great. Very punchy bass which I personally didn't like =).

Feb 1, 2011 at 8:13 PM Post #14 of 24
I love my Denon AH-D5000 if size isn't too big an issue. I wouldn't be thrilled throwing them in a backpack though. I'm a prog-metal listener and they sound great. I love folk and classical through them as well. Good luck on your search!

PS...They have a really neat little amp for about $350 called the TTVJ. That should take care of limiting you to no amp...in the future. No need to go spending all kinds of money right away. 

Feb 1, 2011 at 8:14 PM Post #15 of 24

Quote:

Nonsense these sen can adequately driven by an iPod with really  loud volume (which is not necessary considering brilliant isolation). Any headphone would sound better with an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back