Have Turbines. Had UE700s. Want FA DBA-02s! Lend me your opinions!
Mar 28, 2011 at 8:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

mickcenary

Head-Fier
Hey!

I've been lurking around these forums for a while, obviously for the enormous wealth of information that you guys have to offer - thanks for that! - and I've decided that I have a query of my own that would definitely be best fielded by you lot.

First things first, I listen pretty much exclusively to Metal - Progressive, Death, Melodic, Doom, Folk, Post-rock... Basically anything and everything that tickles my fancy. I also listen to a lot of orchestral stuff, a la Hans Zimmer, James Newton Howard, Yanni, etc. I recently invested in some Turbines after owning a pair UE700s for about a year. Look, I know what you're thinking (or maybe I don't...): why, when listening to such music, would you opt for Turbines over 700s? In short, I became somewhat infatuated by the Turbines - their look, their ridiculous build quality (sans the cables) - I just had to have a pair. It doesn't hurt that they're very decent 'phones, too, in my humble opinion; obviously they lack detail when compared to the 700s, but the bass is insane. I'm also an avid drummer, so hearing the Turbines pump out some groovy double-kick licks is very satisfying.

ANYWAY.

I needs me some detail and I've read that the DBA-02s are very impressive in this regard. I really wouldn't mind an antithesis to my Turbines, but I've heard that the DBAs are a bit lacking in bass and I don't want to be left sitting there, thinking, "Where on earth is the low end?" I wouldn't really call myself a 'basshead', but I need something there. So, what I would like to know is how they compare to the 700s in terms of detail and bass. Also, I've noticed that the Turbines can get a bit 'sibilance crazy' when turned up quite high, especially in sections inundated with vocals and crash cymbals. The 700s did this, too, but to a lesser extent. I'd really like to eliminate sibilance as much as possible.

For what it's worth, I had my heart set on some Triplefi 10s before deciding that the build quality seems a bit too poor and not worth the hassle. If you guys have any other recommendations around a $200-250AUD pricepoint (bare in mind, I'll probably have to ship them here), they would be more than welcome!

Much thanks, guys.

Keep up the good work.

Mar 28, 2011 at 10:01 AM Post #2 of 6
DBA-02 are quite amazing considering its price 160-190$, however the bass amount may be not enough for you therefore I can recommend you Radius DDM, which work better for me considering I  listen to Soundtracks and such.
DDM perform so well with pianos and acoustic instruments.

Also take a look at newly released Radius #2 (HP-TWF21)
 the only one review written so far is a good starting point to get familiar with #2.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/545647/review-radius-hp-twf21-aka-w-n-2#post_7355911
Tip:  These are available from MusicaAcoustics and all headfi members get a Special promotional price
(email Dimitri for more info).

Mar 28, 2011 at 10:33 AM Post #3 of 6
I'd recommend to keep checking the Headfi for sale forums and see if you can't get a set of gently used UE-10s. I snagged mine for around $200. IMO they're AMAZING in the low freq. (especially jazz and drums) and you can always get them re-shelled later on. I'm doing that now because I love their signature. Don't be turned off by the "fit problem." The number of foam tips and options available make it easy to find something that works. 

Mar 28, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #4 of 6

Quote:
I'd recommend to keep checking the Headfi for sale forums and see if you can't get a set of gently used UE-10s. I snagged mine for around $200. IMO they're AMAZING in the low freq. (especially jazz and drums) and you can always get them re-shelled later on. I'm doing that now because I love their signature. Don't be turned off by the "fit problem." The number of foam tips and options available make it easy to find something that works. 

I generally have no problems with finding a good seal, so I'm not too worried about that. It's more the UE's build quality that worries me. My first pair of 700s were broken out of the box and I've heard numerous accounts of Triplefi 10 cables "disintegrating" from the inside. I know that for every owner who encounters problems, there's probably 5 that don't, but seeing as I'll have to order them from the US - most likely eBay, in order to get a decent price - it could prove to be annoying, warranty-wise.

Much thanks, though. I'll keep them on the short-list for now.

And Yello, I shall check out the Radius! Thanks!

Mar 29, 2011 at 9:29 AM Post #5 of 6
New guy here who has been listening to higher end IEM's for 4 months now.  I started with RE0's and while I liked them I always found them a bit lacking in the lows though getting the cheap little E1 amp helped a lot on my Iphone 4.  After a few weeks I started doing a bunch of reading on what to go with for my second pair and it sounded like the DBA-02's were the way to go as they offered a lot of the speed and accuracy of the RE0's but with a bit more bass.  I have been listening to the DBA's for 4-6 weeks now and I am very happy with them, if the track has bass the DBA's will give you a very clean, tight bass that never sounds muddy.  I bought my wife a set of Klipsh S4's and while they offer a bit more bass than the DBA's it always sounds muddy to me.  While I am by far an expert and have limited experiance with a lot of different IEM's I am really happy with the DBA's.

Cheers,
Jim

Mar 30, 2011 at 9:35 AM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
New guy here who has been listening to higher end IEM's for 4 months now.  I started with RE0's and while I liked them I always found them a bit lacking in the lows though getting the cheap little E1 amp helped a lot on my Iphone 4.  After a few weeks I started doing a bunch of reading on what to go with for my second pair and it sounded like the DBA-02's were the way to go as they offered a lot of the speed and accuracy of the RE0's but with a bit more bass.  I have been listening to the DBA's for 4-6 weeks now and I am very happy with them, if the track has bass the DBA's will give you a very clean, tight bass that never sounds muddy.  I bought my wife a set of Klipsh S4's and while they offer a bit more bass than the DBA's it always sounds muddy to me.  While I am by far an expert and have limited experiance with a lot of different IEM's I am really happy with the DBA's.

Cheers,
Jim

Good to hear that you're happy with the DBA-02, Jim. And thank you for the reply. I think I'm very much torn between these and the UE TF10. The fact that I can get a triple driver for basically the same amount of cash is very enticing. God, having options can be excrutiating sometimes :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back