Have I bought the same headphones in different package? (K242HD and K530) The same driver in "all" AKG headphones?
Feb 6, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #16 of 21
I just recently purchased the studio version of the K 240(basically the same as yours but with leather pads) and I think I can understand why you feel your K 242 sound "dull".  The K 240(or in your case the K 242) have a very neutral sound signature with a bit of emphasis on the midrange, while the upper frequency is rolled off a bit resulting in a treble that not particularly sparkly like brighter headphones like Grado's line for example.  The benefit here is long listening sessions are non-fatiguing with little or no treble harshness, the only problem is if you're acustomed to a brighter sound signature then these might sound "dull" in comparison.  Also the K 240/2 are little stiff in impedence and overall sensitivity so you may want to invest in an amp(like Fiio's E5) to bring out it's best sonic character.

Feb 6, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #18 of 21
That's probably due the to stock pads absorbing some the treble to tame the sound down a bit.  With that change less treble is absorbed allowing for a clearer sound signature.  By the way, what are you plugging your K 242 into?

Feb 6, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #20 of 21
Hmm, well if you don't care for the K 242 then maybe can return them perhaps?  Maybe a different brand might work better for you.

Feb 6, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #21 of 21
Whish I could send them back, but it's not possible. My mother is just listening to them and she claims that they are OK. But she listens to 10-15€ headphones, so I guess she doesn't care. I'll give them to her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back