Has Headfi lost appreciation of the high end?
Mar 5, 2007 at 7:16 PM Post #106 of 160
perhaps fewer people are buying into the dimishing marginal returns the true high-end offerd.

Mar 5, 2007 at 8:32 PM Post #108 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only two?
I can count to three highly regarded 1000 dollar+ electrostatic headphones:
  1. Stax SR-007 (Omega II)
  2. Stax SR-Omega
  3. Sennheiser HE90
Four if you count the Sennheiser HE60 as well.

Most high end headphones are dynamic, not electrostatic.
Electrostatic: Omega II, SR-Omega, HE90 and probably the HE60
Dynamic: R-10, Qualia 010, L3000, PS-1, HP1000, K1000, ...

Umm yes...those are the three I am thinking of...
He60 is not a statement product, it was an attempt to provide a portion of the HE90s performance at a more reasonable price.

Mar 5, 2007 at 9:53 PM Post #109 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akathriel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Umm yes...those are the three I am thinking of...
He60 is not a statement product, it was an attempt to provide a portion of the HE90s performance at a more reasonable price.

But just because something is not a statement product does not mean it is not high-end.

I'm not sure splitting up the forums would work. I know it has been discussed at length before, both here and maybe among the moderators, but the outcome has always been that keeping things split up may be too difficult, with quite a bit of overlap.

What is high-end? Has always been quite a debate in and of itself. Does this mean only statement products from each company? I know a few head-fiers that feel this should be the definition. Yet, what if one company's statement product consistently ranks lower than say a tier-2 product from another company? How many phones would fit into this narrow definition? So then...do we try to come to a consensus? Good luck with that one. It will never happen.

Some used to feel that the AKG 501's were as good as anything out there! Are they? Well..if they were then...then they should still be included along with the 701's and K-1000's right? Hmm, maybe not. What about HD580/600's even though the 650's exist? Some feel these two phones are better than the 650's! Others feel that any of these phones when driven with a blockhead or some mammoth Single Power amp surpass the Big O! Again...what to do here?

I think a solid suggestion was made by plainsong, instead of making a high-end forum, make a budget forum. A budget forum for most will mean the same thing vs. say...Bill Gates coming in and posing the same question and expecting to put together a 7 figure rig
wink.gif

In this way, we could likely have a concentrated area for newbies looking for something to get their toes wet before diving in head first.

We have a portable audio forum which in many ways is a means of separating "budget" sources from higher end sources, though this is still imperfect because there are plenty that want a decently priced RBCD or SACD player or even a nicely priced TT that will sing!

We have computer audio that can help with again a separation of budgets but because there is a broader group being tackled with these forums, it isn't so much a split in price but utility which may also help in splitting up price points.

I see no reason that a portable amp/desktop amp section could not be created, nor a budget headphones with the regular headphone section staying as is.

As for why folks aren't posting as much, there have been quite a few good reasons posted, despite not really knowing why.

Perhaps it is because folks are finding incredible values at lower prices and if the time does come when more money can be funneled into this hobby, that money is instead going into a speaker rig or elsewhere?

Perhaps those that have the higher end gear are burnt out after searching and researching and when they finally have obtained their holy grail, they just want to sit back and relax and listen? The urge to post have been curbed.

Perhaps it is because high end phones are harder to come by, either because they are uber pricey and/or because they are limited or out of production or a combination of the above?

Perhaps it is a shift in the demographics with far more younger folks with relatively limited incomes coming in searching for some decent cans after getting a DAP?

Whatever the case, it seems the place goes in cycles. Right now, higher end amp discussion is in. Last year high end IEM's was the catch of the day. Perhaps there is a lull in the high end, manufacturers are not pumping out the models folks hoped for. This will inevitably change. I don't see this hobby shrinking at all, in fact, I see more and more joining. I'm not just talking this site, but the audiophilia in general. Apparently the cottage industry is booming and there are more audio manufacturers now than there ever has been. If this is true, it means that folks aren't pleased (on a whole) with what the big established companies have been producing and are looking to either the cutting edge being pumped out but eccentric folks building out of their basements and/or are enjoying the bigger bang for their bucks not having to buy through major distribution/dealer networks. Whatever the case...amps and speakers, tt's and arms and carts are enjoying a boom, not to mention cables and tweaks. What is lacking is a larger competition in high end sources (these are harder to produce and therefore are limited to folks with the knowledge and financing to put the stuff out) as well as in headphones. Headphone drivers require a lot more effort not to mention the enclosures vs. speakers it seems (maybe this is a misnomer and the actual fact is that there was simply a larger market for speakers but I would say the tides they are a changin'!)

Eventually we will see new headphones hitting the market, from new manufacturers and this will cause much excitement and ideally will encourage manufacturers to make statement products.

Sennheiser made a special run of HE90's for Head-fiers. They sold out within a month? Maybe less.

Sony sold the R10's for nearly 2 decades (maybe it was 2?) and they had hoped their Qualia would sell well. Maybe it did take a while for them to all sell, but the reason they are not being made is not because they didn't fly off the shelves, it is because Sony is taking a massive financial hit on all fronts and the Qualia division was a casualty of the many cuts that ensued. All Sony needs to do is google R10's and they will immediately notice the astronomical prices they are selling for. Once Sony is back on its feet (if ever) I expect something marvelous from the company.

Stax has been rumored to be developing an Omega III. Their Omega II's are still in production.

Joseph Grado's HP-1000 series can rarely be sourced and when they are...they go for 3x the MSRP. When Grado released the PS-1's they sold well, but then when they went out of production, the last of them flew off the shelves, now they are rarely had below 2k.

AKG just released the 701's a phone many feel is incredible and perhaps the best dynamic phone. It is the upgrade to the 501. The K-1000's, now discontinued can't be had for less than 1200.

Are people buying this stuff? They sure are! In fact, people are clawing at the high-end stuff. Some of this is a hording mentality. Some of it is from new blood who want into the game and some of this is simply folks realizing synergy, that with the right source and amp, some of these phones are in the top tier and should be retained.

There is a market for high-end and when folks eventually migrate up to it, they surely won't be leaving it. Like markl said, the high end stuff is pickier, it needs better gear and to many, middle of the road headphones will sound better when it is paired with middle of the road gear. Btw, one does not have to be rich, they just have to have ambition and the guts to sacrifice in other areas, from eating only Ramen to taking on a second job. I've never been able to (nor likely will ever be able to) afford gear on my regular salary so I work a second job that mainly goes to extras for the family. My cut of the "extra cash" goes into audio. I sacrifice sleep, others sacrifice nutrition
smily_headphones1.gif
Sometimes this hobby is worth the effort
biggrin.gif

I for one am only interested in reading high-end threads these days. Unless I'm specifically looking to buy something else...I just don't have a need to read them. I'll help out in newbie threads, but that is about it. It's not being a snob, it is about not wanting to waste my time participating in threads that really don't interest me, nor entice me to try out the phones. I've had the privilege of listening to everything but 4 of the best in the world (HE90, K-1000, Qualia and Ultrasone 9's) and I've settled on what I like. However, if something was available in the upper echelons that was within reach then I may be enticed to buy and try. Anything other than this involves speaker reading....something that demands far more research for me and far more money than headphones.

Bring on the high-end discussions!

Mar 6, 2007 at 2:44 AM Post #110 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think a solid suggestion was made by plainsong, instead of making a high-end forum, make a budget forum. A budget forum for most will mean the same thing vs. say...Bill Gates coming in and posing the same question and expecting to put together a 7 figure rig
wink.gif

In this way, we could likely have a concentrated area for newbies looking for something to get their toes wet before diving in head first.

My only concern with that is that the mods will be in over their heads moving threads from the "regular" headphones thread to the "budget" headphones thread. And what defines "budget"? I'd rather see the high-end one soley because its less likely that a new head-fier will post about 30$ canalhphones in a "high-end" forum than in a "regular" thread. But then again, what defines "high-end" is still up to much debate. Which is why I think that its best just to have posting restrictions based on date joined/posts. But no matter what you do, noobs will be noobs.

And to the rest of Zanth's thread: Game, Set and Match point to him. He really did summarize this thread in a nutshell.

And for the love of God...I mean...headphones please don't quote the whole thing to just say "x2".
wink.gif

My last pondering is if Jude and other mods/administrators read threads like this, or if we're all just wearing down our keyboards pre-maturely.

Mar 6, 2007 at 3:08 AM Post #111 of 160
Separating the headphone or any other forum into high-end and budget wouldn't work. We could never find a consensus.

Same thing with a newbie forum. Should we have a newbie forum for each individual forum? Newbie source? Newbie cans? Newbie amps? At what point is one not a newb? Someone who is new to tubes could have plenty of solid state experience, but be overwhelmed by the tube rolling thread.

As usual I vote for the status quo. Its a wave, its all good, everyone just relax. Let the post-newbies who for some reason are desperately trying to increase their post counts answer all the newb questions.
rs1smile.gif

I like to use the "new posts" feature, and then I just click on any title that interests me. Its a good way to avoid the repetitive post in the headphones forum blues.
rs1smile.gif

Mar 6, 2007 at 3:24 AM Post #112 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by joneeboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Solution to all those newbie threads, sticky a thread "How to get started in head-fi" with every possible attack angle: best gaming, best movie, best value sub-$100, best value sub-$x where $100 < x < infinity, best portable, best classical, best jazz, best rock, best woody, blah blah blah. The budget-fi subforum would be too controversial. I foresee unnecessary, easily avoidable division within the (formerly?) loving head-fi community with that kind of move.

Who is courageous enough to make that thread to ease all our pain, noob, vet, or otherwise?

right now i'm working on a jargon FAQ in notepad, if anyone wants it... perhaps a more respected/seasoned member of the community could try to cook up something like you described? i'd be happy to, but i simply haven't heard enough cans yet... someone made a post a few weeks ago about not understanding jargon so i decided to start up the aforementioned FAQ, and i bet a thread on how to get started would help.

of course, there would still be people that post outside of said thread with questions; just like people say they used the search function but want to be sure, so they make a thread and get the exact same answers... but hey, it's the internet, what are ya gonna do? you can't FORCE people to read stuff.

Mar 6, 2007 at 3:38 AM Post #113 of 160
I think we definitely need a sticky thread for brand spanking n00bs
called "a beginners guide" ..detailing the different types of headphones,
what types are good for what , and excerpts from previous "help me! recommend me ?" type threads so this info is not repeated over and over.
This is what the old timers hate.

The problem is you need a person willing to stand up to the plate.
(like what Thelonious Monk is doing with jargon document)
To start the thread, set the ground rules and administer it on a daily basis.
(like what im doing with 325i members club thread.)

Mar 6, 2007 at 3:38 AM Post #114 of 160
I'd almost say it has less to do with actual price and more to do with goals and ambition. I'd hope a High End forum would entice more members with High-End experience and ambitions to participate. Several have mentioned they don't frequent the Headphone forum much since they've attained thier desired level of satisfaction. If they had a more focused place to go and share experiences it might be more convenient for them to participate.

If I'm seriously trying to build a world class system I have very different questions and audience than people asking about thier first headphones.

The HD650's while reasonably priced take on a whole new stature by going balanced. I'd think a person considering going with balanced HD650's would be looking for different information than someone wondering about the differences between the HD600's and HD650's.

"Sennheiser made a special run of HE90's for Head-fiers. They sold out within a month? Maybe less."

I thought more like the first day.

"Ultrasone 9's"? Are they that good?

Mitch

Mar 6, 2007 at 3:43 AM Post #115 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My only concern with that is that the mods will be in over their heads moving threads from the "regular" headphones thread to the "budget" headphones thread. And what defines "budget"? I'd rather see the high-end one soley because its less likely that a new head-fier will post about 30$ canalhphones in a "high-end" forum than in a "regular" thread. But then again, what defines "high-end" is still up to much debate. Which is why I think that its best just to have posting restrictions based on date joined/posts. But no matter what you do, noobs will be noobs.

There is no getting around the leakage that would inevitably happen. A high-end forum would attract 501/701/hd580/6x0/RS-2/RS-1/CD-3000 fans and wonder why they are received tons of flack from the folks that only want to discuss phones with a major price tag. Certainly price does not mean everything. Then again, a budget forum would certainly not be perfect for everyone etc. I know this is the reason that the forums have never splintered off into subforums. There is simply too much work involved to please everyone. Instead, we keep the forums as they are and it makes most people happy enough and no one is slighted. As for noobs always being noobs. Some noobs are less noobie than others. There are some that really do their research, lurk for years and have decades of speaker experience. They come in post a very educated question and have a large budget in mind. Are they as new as the guy who has only ever been exposed to a pair of ear buds? Certainly not. So even here...should a post restriction be implemented? Not in my opinion.

Quote:

My last pondering is if Jude and other mods/administrators read threads like this, or if we're all just wearing down our keyboards pre-maturely.

Yes mods do read these threads and if Jude doesn't off hand, often a member or mod will alert him to such a thread. The thing is...this place will always have growing pains, will always aim to please the majority and will always remain imperfect, and to some that imperfection will be something that irks them to the nth degree while others will simply recognize it as a bunch of people make the best of the site which is a hobby for them.

Still, I would like to read more about high end rigs
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 6, 2007 at 3:58 AM Post #117 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver /img/forum/go_quote.gif

"Sennheiser made a special run of HE90's for Head-fiers. They sold out within a month? Maybe less."

I thought more like the first day.

Craziness! And they were what? $5900? 20-25 units? Initially only 19? Is that around the ballpark figures? Whatever the case, obviously people are spending the money and are looking for the best. I may not have the money, but I have big eyes and big dreams. I WANT to read about this stuff.

Quote:

"Ultrasone 9's"? Are they that good?

Not sure at all. I didn't bother with this company after they botched the 7's. Apparently the 9's are getting a lot of praise but the price keeps me from them and would likely have me leaning towards R10's or Omega II's.

Mar 6, 2007 at 4:00 AM Post #118 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
eek.gif
I am humbled by Zanth's post

The only thing that might concern people about a huge newbie recommendation thread is it might turn into a spam thread for members to get their post count to 50.

wouldn't such a thread be purged every so often? newbies asking questions isn't a very valuable resource and don't need to be saved... and there's always the "lock, new thread" route. and i doubt anyone who controlled such a topic would allow pointless spam to clog it up!

Mar 6, 2007 at 4:02 AM Post #119 of 160
I have an idea:

What aboiut a Portable Headphones Forum, and a Full-Sized Headphones forum? It kind of accoplished the same thing without the hand-wringing about what is or is not "high end".

That said, there's still soem issues-- one or the other of these new forums will be starting from scratch and have no history of threads for the search function.

This sucks for those of us who put lots of effort into reviews/comments/recommendations in the past-- now all our "hard work" is gone, and we are again at year zero. (Oh, joy, we can have another 100 threads on "burn-in". Is it real? Really really real???
rolleyes.gif
)

But if we must have separate forums (and I'm not convinced we do), that seems a more logical way to divide them.

Mar 6, 2007 at 4:13 AM Post #120 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have an idea:

What aboiut a Portable Headphones Forum, and a Full-Sized Headphones forum?

That would be tricky too because definitions vary. The portable rig thread has plenty of rigs with huge cans.

A seperate IEM forum seems like a good idea, but even then you have the issue of borderline headphones, like the CX300, and you'll have tons of responses to a thread saying "wrong forum".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back