Has Headfi lost appreciation of the high end?
Mar 5, 2007 at 3:09 AM Post #91 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As someone whos not interested (yet) in the higher end of the HiFi spectrum, I think its a good idea to split the forum. Why not just put a dollar range on the forum. 0-500, 500-1000 and 1000+ etc. As a recent member, I find I use the search a lot to find what I'm looking for in almost every forum here, not only the headphones. Thats just because of the natural repetition that happens on every forum. You can avoid most of that using search. IMO.

But not all headphone disscussion is about on pair of headphones, or about headphones at all. It is there to discuss. That is why there should be a sugesstions forum (instead of a noob forum). I think that making it a solid "Help Me" type forum will make it alot more active.

Mar 5, 2007 at 3:10 AM Post #92 of 160
I can't really speak to whether there are more or less posts now-a-days on high-end cans. Honestly, when I joined, there wasn't that much conversation on cans above the HD650. Well, maybe a bit of R10 fascination, but I didn't even know there was an Omega 1 or HP1000 or HE90 for a long, long time...

I will say though when you consider that there are more than a few newcomers to high-end cans - people I've seen over my time here beginning to explore the high end (this includes me and you J-Pak!), I think the community is doing pretty well. For every old fart who doesn't post nearly enough (cough, Bozebuttons, cough cough) there are a few of us young'ns who post perhaps a bit too much in their irrational exuberance over their latest HE90, K 1000 or even HD580 discovery...

Best,

-Jason

Mar 5, 2007 at 3:13 AM Post #93 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by mypasswordis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And to make this post relevant to the thread: cotdt, are you really saying your friends think 30 dollar Koss headphones are more accurate in sound production than "the GS1000s and a certain other very expensive headphones"? If so, they are not hearing what the majority of people hear.

To be fair, there are those of us with quite a lot of listening experience who legitimately do feel that the GS-1000 is not particularly neutral, and that on balance the KSC-35 outperforms them. Not that this is true of all high-end cans, of course, and Markl's point is generally a good one.

The problem with a high-end forum would be whether the HD-650 fits in. If some price point was arbitrarily chosen, say $1000, and the HD-650 was excluded, what it would basically be would be a "pricey headphones" forum, not a "high-end" forum. There's a difference. I wouldn't be opposed to an "esoterica" forum though.

Mar 5, 2007 at 3:32 AM Post #94 of 160
A price point simply makes choosing which forum to post in easier. It doesn't really matter. I don't think "lost appreciation" is much of an issue tbh. But then I'm not annoyed by it!

Mar 5, 2007 at 3:46 AM Post #95 of 160
its almost like the headphone forum has inadvertantly alienated its experienced members because all the threads have been newbs asking about budget headphones. those with decent rigs who could make a fair headphone assessment and a potential comparison dont touch the low-end b/c (contrary to logic) the low-end is a complete waste of money and most of us on head-fi dont touch it.

i think its turned into a bunch of new members regurgitating info they have only read, mainly in the interest of upping post counts. BTW: i swear to you all right now BOSE marketers have begun an infiltration of Head-fi, there is WAY too much BOSE talk going on, keep bashing them hard.

maybe its time to cut loose the 50+page threads regarding one topic, if you like your Ultrasone whatevers then create a new thread explaining why, posting in a 100 page thread no one cares enough to read doesnt accomplish anything.

personally i would like to start posting more in the Headphone forum, i have DT-880(05) here and i should be getting DT-990(05) on Tuesday or Wednesday, even though its been talked about alot i will post a real comparison between the two. i'll include some pics and try to make it a nice read, you all should do the same, even if stuff has been talked about before you can never have too many real user opinions about a particular piece of gear.

Mar 5, 2007 at 3:52 AM Post #96 of 160
I disagree that the low end is a complete waste of money. I have quite a respectable setup and I still find SR-60's quite good. Sure, they can't touch the RS-1's, but 95% of people don't care enough to tell the difference.

Mar 5, 2007 at 3:58 AM Post #97 of 160
Grado may be the exception, the enire line is the exact same design just scaled to achieve higher price point. even still you cant say many people that can readily afford a SR-225 will instead buy the SR-60 for sake of a good bargain. or expect the person that chose the SR-60 to know much about headphones costing 5x more, there are exceptions but they wont support an entire forum asking about budget recommendations

Mar 5, 2007 at 4:14 AM Post #98 of 160
I see it as a combination of 2 factors...

1) head-fi is expanding, and reaching out to more and more people. So there are more forum noobs now than ever before. These new members may have just acquired an MP3 player and are looking for some entry level IEMs. There is nothing wrong with this, It is GOOD for the web community and headphone industry as a whole.

2) long term members just aren't posting anymore. Why?... I have no idea. There are some individuals who have behaved irresponsibly and get themselves banned, but as for all the other long term active memberselse... I am not sure why they don't post any more.

Mar 5, 2007 at 5:09 AM Post #99 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't really speak to whether there are more or less posts now-a-days on high-end cans. Honestly, when I joined, there wasn't that much conversation on cans above the HD650. Well, maybe a bit of R10 fascination, but I didn't even know there was an Omega 1 or HP1000 or HE90 for a long, long time...

I will say though when you consider that there are more than a few newcomers to high-end cans - people I've seen over my time here beginning to explore the high end (this includes me and you J-Pak!), I think the community is doing pretty well. For every old fart who doesn't post nearly enough (cough, Bozebuttons, cough cough) there are a few of us young'ns who post perhaps a bit too much in their irrational exuberance over their latest HE90, K 1000 or even HD580 discovery...

Best,

-Jason

I fully agree Jason, I am a newcomer to high end headphones.

Mar 5, 2007 at 5:48 AM Post #100 of 160
i think there is another element to why there isnt a lot of high end discussion. The people who have it already dont necessarily like repeating themselves. You can have someone get a legend pair of cans like the k1000 and then post some impressions about them. For me, i think discussing something without a purpose is useless. There is no sense in talking about a ferrari vs lamborgini if you cant test drive or own one.

I think if your interested in the high end, you'll probably have it sooner or later or just forget about it. You dont go around talking about something without a base. Thats why i love meets, it has given me the opportunity to try almost all the highend cans out there without the cost of initiation. Now i dont have to ask questions about something in a thread, why? because i heard it for myself and i dont need anyone else to tell me whether i like it or not.

which brings me to my main point. If you have your maxxed out dream rig (or close to it and know what you want next), why do you have to go out and discuss it? Grab your fave CDs and go enjoy. The only thing that brings me out are show off threads, like the ones of the a950ltd and the jvc woody. If i have a question all go PM someone who has them and get a specific response. I've gotten pms on my past cans and im always open to give my honest take on something i've heard.

Mar 5, 2007 at 5:51 AM Post #101 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tech2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know. Who would answer the n00b questions? other n00bs? Because it doesn't sound like a lot of experienced members would visit such a forum. It would be a shame for all of the experience to be lost to the group that needs good information the most.

I think it's arguable that this is already occuring, but there may be differing opinions on that.

Mar 5, 2007 at 6:58 AM Post #102 of 160
One of the pillars of head- and hi-fi is that it's not mainstream. Many of us have encountered those that point and stare, asking "Why do your headphones look like they have wood on them?" or something similar, and we should realize that it's because we're not "normal." What I mean is that head-fiers place a higher importance on sound quality than the average person. We look at things like the UE 10 Pro and don't flinch, while the average person will likely fall into a fit of spasms and foam at the mouth at the thought. Why isn't there more discussion of the high-end stuff? Fewer of us own those headphones, so there is less discussion as the price increases.

curve.jpg

Solution to all those newbie threads, sticky a thread "How to get started in head-fi" with every possible attack angle: best gaming, best movie, best value sub-$100, best value sub-$x where $100 < x < infinity, best portable, best classical, best jazz, best rock, best woody, blah blah blah. The budget-fi subforum would be too controversial. I foresee unnecessary, easily avoidable division within the (formerly?) loving head-fi community with that kind of move.

Who is courageous enough to make that thread to ease all our pain, noob, vet, or otherwise?

Mar 5, 2007 at 7:15 AM Post #103 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akathriel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
???? There are two 1000 dollar+ electrostatics here that are highly regarded (and a third that has been in the spotlight more recently) while there are at least 5 or 6 dynamics in this tier.

Only two?
I can count to three highly regarded 1000 dollar+ electrostatic headphones:
  1. Stax SR-007 (Omega II)
  2. Stax SR-Omega
  3. Sennheiser HE90
Four if you count the Sennheiser HE60 as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The high end is mainly electrostatics and the K1000.

Most high end headphones are dynamic, not electrostatic.
Electrostatic: Omega II, SR-Omega, HE90 and probably the HE60
Dynamic: R-10, Qualia 010, L3000, PS-1, HP1000, K1000, ...

Mar 5, 2007 at 7:59 AM Post #104 of 160
Personally, I would enjoy a high-end system forum, and a value-per-dollar system forum. This is where people could explain in detail “why” they believe their rig should be considered to either forum. A lot of valuable information could be obtained by newer members all in one place. There would be many good suggestions for the budget minded all the way to the sky’s the limit. Also, members could state their case with a link by quoting other members of the past, or present that have the same, or similar system, or even a time period when a specific system synergy was popular.

Mar 5, 2007 at 5:46 PM Post #105 of 160
It's actually quite funny to see the shift.

When you're a newbie, you hang around in the "Headphones" section.

Then as you get more and more jaded, you head down to "Amplification", then onwards to "Source".

Finally, when you're that hardcore like Patrick82, you're only in tweaks, cables and DIY forums. I don't think I have ever seen him in the Headphones section.

But remember folks - this is a means to an end. Not the end itself. Music should be our number 1 priority.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back