Has Headfi lost appreciation of the high end?
Mar 7, 2007 at 6:47 PM Post #136 of 160
That's one of the things I really like about meet impressions, they inevitably focus on the really great stuff there, no-one writes about the px100 or whatever, it's all about the best in category and those categories are usually limited to the upper echelons. I don't think an esoterica forum would detract from the main forums, it would add to them. Meet impressions are great but I'd like to see it expanded to more in-depth as those not at the meets can only participate at the periphery of the discussion.

I love hi-end chat, even if I myself have little to contribute. My setup hardly constitutes SOTA so I can have limited input but still. It's great to read and get a better impression of where I'd like to go eventually. The stuff I am interested in spans vast amounts of time and space and searching for them is a lot easier in a smaller forum. There are lots of fitting threads that could be migrated there for quick and easy reference for those of us not wishing to wade through tons of other threads.

Sometimes this forum can be unweildy in it's size and breadth.

Mar 7, 2007 at 7:06 PM Post #137 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think there are still plenty of discussions about high-end gear. Look how many threads on K1000s have cropped up recently, either in the amp section or, for comparison sake (e.g., with K701s), in the headphone section. I haven't been around long enough to note forum shifts, I have found lively, lengthy discussions and useful information in meet impressions threads, which I frequent as much or more than other forums. Take a look at the recent K1000 meet in S.F., or even the Dec (or was it Jan?) FL meet, which branched off into an electrostatic amp discussion. The cables/tweaks forum is also useful, but sometimes suffers from posters who just don't want to let those who choose to explore this area do so.

That being said, I have been fortunate enough to acquire some higher-end gear this past year and have lots of questions. I have never started a thread with these questions, but have had wonderful email correspondence and phone conversations with more knowledgeable members. So maybe I'm part of the problem (if there is, in fact, a problem). I'd rather do a profile search and ask specific members for advice. It's efficient. I don't have to wonder if the one person who may have an answer can find the thread, and I get my questions answered without all the extras some threads bring.

At any rate, information is still available if you have any question re high-end gear. If you're interested enough, you'll find it, and knowledgeable members have been more than gracious in helping.

Thats what I've started doing. PM'ing people asking for help and their opinions, most of them have offered excellent advice with well thought out replies.

Mar 7, 2007 at 7:15 PM Post #138 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There doesn't need to be a fixed definition or consensus on what's "high-end" to create such a sub-forum. The view that we must have criteria in order to know what we're talking about is unfortunate because the absence of a criterion of high-end doesn't render the notion of high-end non-signigicant. We may seek for high-end just as an eering man would seek for truth even though he has no criterion for it. For the start, a broad written definition or just perceived consensus of what's high-end would suffice to get such a sub-forum started. With time, experience and mistakes, the initial definitions and criteria can be improved upon just as the consensus will settle for a healthy balance to make it an even better place to hang out.

Whether a high-end headphones forums or a everything high-end forum as smeggy suggested, I think they'd both be good.

Fine words saint.panda. If there was a clearly laid out list of objectives, then in essence, discussing HD650's paired with a Blockhead would be in fine company along with the Big O or an R10/Single Power combo, provided the end result is the same.

I hate putting a price tag on things, and perhaps that could be one of the objectives, a "no cost discussion" policy. If it competes favourably and falls in line with a certain set of principles, it could readily be discussed without the anticipation of being flamed to death.

Mar 7, 2007 at 7:36 PM Post #139 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fine words saint.panda. If there was a clearly laid out list of objectives, then in essence, discussing HD650's paired with a Blockhead would be in fine company along with the Big O or an R10/Single Power combo, provided the end result is the same.

I hate putting a price tag on things, and perhaps that could be one of the objectives, a "no cost discussion" policy. If it competes favourably and falls in line with a certain set of principles, it could readily be discussed without the anticipation of being flamed to death.

I agree. I don't think an arbitrary price is appropriate as I'm looking on it as a system-wide thing.

Mar 7, 2007 at 8:00 PM Post #140 of 160
A set price is a very bad idea. A good set of vintage electrostats with amp is 400$ or more and they can compete with sets much more expensive. I think a high end forum would focus much more on the system building aspect rather then is the HD650 better then the K701 threads. There is quite a bit more to a high end system then simply buying the most expensive gear you can afford and plugging it all together.

Mar 7, 2007 at 8:03 PM Post #141 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A set price is a very bad idea. A good set of vintage electrostats with amp is 400$ or more and they can compete with sets much more expensive. I think a high end forum would focus much more on the system building aspect rather then is the HD650 better then the K701 threads. There is quite a bit more to a high end system then simply buying the most expensive gear you can afford and plugging it all together.

I completely agree. I think this would have to be one of the main tenets of the forum, to focus on system building. What works best together? What has stood the test of time? What are the new hot systems able to compete with the big boys? Etc.

Mar 7, 2007 at 8:11 PM Post #142 of 160
Quote:

I completely agree. I think this would have to be one of the main tenets of the forum, to focus on system building. What works best together? What has stood the test of time? What are the new hot systems able to compete with the big boys? Etc.

Yup, because thats what a high end system is. Price is just to show off your friends but you can assemble a great system for 1000$ and less and be perfectly happy.

Mar 7, 2007 at 9:03 PM Post #143 of 160
I think a special "high end" forum is a bad idea, it just ghettoizes some products and while making some elitist. If anything there should be an “Electrostatic” form since it is a vastly different product than “Dynamics”. I’ll be the first to admit that I sometimes grow weary of some of the “ipod”, ear bud etc. but this would be a far less vibrant board if it weren’t for the number of people posting at as great of frequency.

- augustwest

Mar 7, 2007 at 9:54 PM Post #144 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think a special "high end" forum is a bad idea, it just ghettoizes some products and while making some elitist.

Perhaps this could happen, but when phones like balanced HD650's and RS-1's are competing with the most expensive in the world when paired with a high end amp...I suspect that few phones will really be "ghettoized." I mean...anyone claiming KSC 35's are "high end" would likely get a quick smack down, but I think serious discussions with proven phone/amp combos could be very prudent. HD6x0/Blockhead has long been heralded as on par with the Big O. HD600's are sometimes had new for less than $200. Add in the balancing...and one is up to maybe $500. Not bad for an old cheapish phone, of course the amp its paired with is $3k.

Mar 7, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #145 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think a special "high end" forum is a bad idea, it just ghettoizes some products and while making some elitist. If anything there should be an “Electrostatic” form since it is a vastly different product than “Dynamics”. I’ll be the first to admit that I sometimes grow weary of some of the “ipod”, ear bud etc. but this would be a far less vibrant board if it weren’t for the number of people posting at as great of frequency.

- augustwest

Electrostatics are already ghettoised too much. Besides, they really aren't that different from dynamic headphones.

Mar 7, 2007 at 9:59 PM Post #146 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Electrostatics are already ghettoised too much. Besides, they really aren't that different from dynamic headphones.

Not only that...but there aren't really that many options that would really warrant a full forum.

I mean really, what electrostats are readily available? Oh right...Stax. So it would be a Stax forum with the odd HE90/60 thread thrown in, and maybe a Koss one too.

People would argue then that we should have "Manufacturers forums" a la Audiocircles. Something I'm not really keen on.

Mar 7, 2007 at 10:28 PM Post #147 of 160
Quote:

Not only that...but there aren't really that many options that would really warrant a full forum.

I mean really, what electrostats are readily available? Oh right...Stax. So it would be a Stax forum with the odd HE90/60 thread thrown in, and maybe a Koss one too.

I have seven different electrostatic headphones from three different manufacturers. Spritzer has fifteen from seven different manufacturers. There is more choice than most people give them credit for.

Mar 7, 2007 at 10:30 PM Post #148 of 160
maybe the high-end talk is within the Headphoneus Supremus forum? i also agree due to the increasing popularity of the forum more people are joining and i'd say only 1 in 10 would really fish out the cash to buy high end.

Mar 7, 2007 at 11:11 PM Post #149 of 160
Quote:

I have seven different electrostatic headphones from three different manufacturers. Spritzer has fifteen from seven different manufacturers. There is more choice than most people give them credit for.

There are a lot off phones out there but I think that the Stax threads cover this. It's not an ideal solution but judging by the activity it works.

I think that a new forum should be dedicated to system building in general and leave the older forums to do what they do. The systems do not have to be high end but they will be, by the nature of the beast, more expensive then headphones plugged into a sound card. It's my opinion that people here at Head-fi spend too much time thinking about how much stuff costs instead of evaluating the gear on sound quality basis.

Mar 8, 2007 at 2:03 AM Post #150 of 160
Quote:

But are these companies still making them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back