Has Headfi lost appreciation of the high end?
Mar 6, 2007 at 4:43 AM Post #121 of 160
I think it's a good idea to split head-phones and IEM's though.

I agree with Zanth. Though I love my K-1000's, I'll be the first to admit that I bought it with an antique collector's item in mind as well as the sound.

The realistic fact in life is that all nice things cost money. It's as simple as that.

Mar 6, 2007 at 5:00 AM Post #122 of 160
I always preferred the low end anyhow.
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif

Mar 6, 2007 at 7:24 AM Post #124 of 160
For me, I don't really want a seperate hi-end phone forum, I'd like what someone else suggested.. an esoterica forum where the hi-end of all is represented. Be it phones, amps, source ec. This is where we can discuss the best gear as a whole in a synergystic way. What works best with what, that kind of thing. No arbitrary price point is needed and some makes don't even have a 'budget' sector. they go from high to astronomical! In headphones, hopefully common sesnse would prevail.

Personally I'd love a high end forum where we can discuss the most amazing gear. I miss many threads because they get buried under a mass of 'what <$50 can is best' They get run off the page faster than you can keep up. This was why I used to buy hifi mags and gadget mags, because the best is interesting in a way that the SR125 can never be. I miss that but so many of the great mags of old are gone or have changed focus. It's like wanting to read about the Aston Martin Vantage and only getting fords and Chryslers. Depressing.

Mar 6, 2007 at 8:09 AM Post #125 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For me, I don't really want a seperate hi-end phone forum, I'd like what someone else suggested.. an esoterica forum where the hi-end of all is represented. Be it phones, amps, source ec. This is where we can discuss the best gear as a whole in a synergystic way. What works best with what, that kind of thing. No arbitrary price point is needed and some makes don't even have a 'budget' sector. they go from high to astronomical! In headphones, hopefully common sesnse would prevail.

Personally I'd love a high end forum where we can discuss the most amazing gear. I miss many threads because they get buried under a mass of 'what <$50 can is best' They get run off the page faster than you can keep up. This was why I used to buy hifi mags and gadget mags, because the best is interesting in a way that the SR125 can never be. I miss that but so many of the great mags of old are gone or have changed focus. It's like wanting to read about the Aston Martin Vantage and only getting fords and Chryslers. Depressing.

There's a lot of truth to this. I mean let's be honest - why is the Stax thread so crazy busy? It's the only thread right now in which you get people just talking openly, honestly, helpfully and most importantly, intelligently and with a bit of experience about pure sound quality.

At the same time tho, I don't see any need to create new forums or whatnot. It's not that hard to weed through the crap. And honestly, I like participating in both the low-fi and hi-fi discussions.
biggrin.gif
So bring it all on!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Best,

-Jason

Mar 6, 2007 at 8:15 AM Post #126 of 160
Don't get me wrong, I'll still go the the other forums as I'm also well into the low to medium range myself. What, with my lower Stax, MS1, Koss, t-amps etc. Budget-fi is still big with me but I'd still like a place where awesome gear is debated and fawned over
biggrin.gif

Mar 7, 2007 at 11:13 AM Post #128 of 160
As far as I've read, splits like this have been considered before but never came to fruition. Whether it be by an age or monetary basis, I don't think many have wanted to deal with this sort of split.

I can see that it must get annoying for the guys with big-bucks setups wanting to read about high-end in the forums, but only seeing thread-after-thread of the "NEED BASS!!!" or the dreaded "Flavor of the Month" variety.

Meanwhile, iPod users find a link to this community from some forum or webpage and instantly want to find the fabled $35 headphone that will totally change their experiences with Life, The Universe, and Everything (tm). Or, just want to make their headphones go louder, which I personally think is the more popular reason.

I doubt any such split of the setup will ever happen. Perhaps if high-end users were willing to pay-to-post somehow, something might be arranged, but I don't imagine seeing this kind of option anytime soon either. The truth is, Head-Fi has always been a more budget-minded community, as far as I've seen. One major reason people get into headphones in the first place is the fact that they can be _much_ cheaper than a speaker setup, with simply retail prices and the lack of space they use alone.

As far as I'm concerned, the "Budget-Fi" forum already exists and is available in the Equipment section of these pages. The high-end threads are just a bit of seasoning in the mix these days.

Mar 7, 2007 at 12:06 PM Post #130 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's a lot of truth to this. I mean let's be honest - why is the Stax thread so crazy busy? It's the only thread right now in which you get people just talking openly, honestly, helpfully and most importantly, intelligently and with a bit of experience about pure sound quality.

At the same time tho, I don't see any need to create new forums or whatnot. It's not that hard to weed through the crap. And honestly, I like participating in both the low-fi and hi-fi discussions.
biggrin.gif
So bring it all on!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Best,

-Jason

The Stax thread is so popular because its still such uncharted terratory. For a long time people avoided them because they required expensive amps (way back when amps like the SRM-1 and T1 were considered an extravagence).

Of course, to get a high level of sound quality out dynamic headphones you need a good amp every bit as much, and excepting a few like the K1k and AMT you can't run them off an amp you happen to have lying around already...

I do kinda regret most of the Stax discussion being ghettoised preventing many of those who want to wet their toes in the world of better headphones fom considering them like any other option, though.

Mar 7, 2007 at 12:36 PM Post #131 of 160
There doesn't need to be a fixed definition or consensus on what's "high-end" to create such a sub-forum. The view that we must have criteria in order to know what we're talking about is unfortunate because the absence of a criterion of high-end doesn't render the notion of high-end non-signigicant. We may seek for high-end just as an eering man would seek for truth even though he has no criterion for it. For the start, a broad written definition or just perceived consensus of what's high-end would suffice to get such a sub-forum started. With time, experience and mistakes, the initial definitions and criteria can be improved upon just as the consensus will settle for a healthy balance to make it an even better place to hang out.

Whether a high-end headphones forums or a everything high-end forum as smeggy suggested, I think they'd both be good.

Mar 7, 2007 at 1:30 PM Post #132 of 160
Another point, I have never gone to a meet and formed relationships and listened to the HE90 for instance. I thought about it, buying untested I mean and one day my senses resurrected themselves and I settled down a bit. I still do think about it. Following in Adrian's footsteps, I mean.

Mar 7, 2007 at 3:18 PM Post #133 of 160
I find that this post somewhat intriguing. I was reading a lengthy post the other day that alot of us "newbies/noobs, etc" are pushing into the high end too quickly and not going through the paces so to speak. I have been doing research on this site for years but just recently joined. I have been in combat for years and initially started out with the Shure e5c's as I could bring them in my rucksack and they could be used with my Ipod. I am still in Afghanistan but have a more stable living space and have up graded accordingly....but still a portable and a small desktop type set up. I enjoy reading both the high end forums as I have the paycheck to afford these items but for now am happy with what I have as I don't think it prudent to bring $2k headphones into a combat zone. What I like is that it is relatively easy to search the database of older threads to gain answers to my questions before I ask....god forbid all the questions that Todd would have from me in his inbox otherwise. I guess that the course of progression is a natural thing. I think alot of people aren't happy with what they are finding at the local Best Buy and are working up the chain with their headphones, amps and sources. I have a RWA Imod right now as a source but would love to listen to a Meridien GXX player once I am back in the US. I don't imagine that alot of new members are going to jump into the Stax Omega II from the first post that they read here but they will no doubt carry on the tradition of the proverbial "high end" when the current users are talking about the latest "audiophille hearing aids" that are out on the market. Everyone has to start somewhere. I agree that even I hate having to push past the threads dealing with "The best 50 dollars set of cans for the PSP" but I think that the conclusions/solutions that are in this thread are good. If you see the same old thread about the replacement can for Bose Triports just paste the link into the thread so that the person has a reference to look to...you might want to break it more into good entry phones, mid level, high end and dream cans. As soon as you include the price then you will get another hundred threads in is the 450 dollar can X worth it or should I send the 55 dollars more for the 505 dollar can Y. I think that the dollar amount really is overrated and is too stressed in many forums. Also I would include what phones are noted for...good bass, nuetral, good mids and a music reference as well though this will always be debated as well.

My set up that I use here in the Stan is all from what I have gained on this site. As I expand my collection I will have better reference knowledge but am still interested in the comparisions at the next level....why should I purchase the Stax Omega II versus the current HD650 or RS-1s that I have. So I think what I am trying to say is that there are threads for everyone here. If you want a thread with the the top 5 most expensive headphones it seems that you could set it up...label it "the XX thread for owners of these 5 headphones to talk to each other about how much better our cans are then everyone elses." It sort of is the feel to alot of the threads anyway as people debate their favorite cans. You could ask that only owners of the certain headhones post in the forum.

However, I really don't see the interest in a site dedicated to a very small niche within a already very small niche hobby for the most part. The interest generated in forums like this is what is going to lead to the next level of high end cans to be produced in the end anyway. In the information age that we find ourselves in today the internet buzz is really keeping alot of the mid/high end guys in business and pushing the envelope. Anyways, good luck and thanks to those of you taking the time to help out the n00bs and pass on the love that you have for good music and good equiment. Everyone was a n00b at sometime and everyone has to start out asking the "stupid" questions that have been asked a thousand times before. One day I'll be there next to you in the Stax forum trying to remember why I liked a certain set of cans that I used to own in a previous life ...
blink.gif

Mar 7, 2007 at 4:18 PM Post #134 of 160
I'm too lazy to read all the past pages here so forgive if this has already been brought up but I think the reason high-end is on the down slope is because no one is making high-end cans right now... K1000 = gone, PS-1 = gone, L3000 = gone... GS1000 is about the only one and that has gotten very mixed reviews.

The amp section is booming but headphone manufactures are really dragging their feet so all we have to talk about is OOP cans that have for the most part been discussed enough that there is nothing new to bring up.

I sure would like to see a few companies cross over... Shure, Westone, UE make a flagship full size headphone... that would be interesting.

Mar 7, 2007 at 5:13 PM Post #135 of 160
I think there are still plenty of discussions about high-end gear. Look how many threads on K1000s have cropped up recently, either in the amp section or, for comparison sake (e.g., with K701s), in the headphone section. I haven't been around long enough to note forum shifts, I have found lively, lengthy discussions and useful information in meet impressions threads, which I frequent as much or more than other forums. Take a look at the recent K1000 meet in S.F., or even the Dec (or was it Jan?) FL meet, which branched off into an electrostatic amp discussion. The cables/tweaks forum is also useful, but sometimes suffers from posters who just don't want to let those who choose to explore this area do so.

That being said, I have been fortunate enough to acquire some higher-end gear this past year and have lots of questions. I have never started a thread with these questions, but have had wonderful email correspondence and phone conversations with more knowledgeable members. So maybe I'm part of the problem (if there is, in fact, a problem). I'd rather do a profile search and ask specific members for advice. It's efficient. I don't have to wonder if the one person who may have an answer can find the thread, and I get my questions answered without all the extras some threads bring.

At any rate, information is still available if you have any question re high-end gear. If you're interested enough, you'll find it, and knowledgeable members have been more than gracious in helping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back