Has anyone heard the Earpower ER-10 Plus customs? They are dynamic/armature hybrids!
Nov 16, 2010 at 10:24 AM Post #16 of 31
While not overwhelmed with free time, I have been slowly writing my review comparing the EP-10 Plus to many others.  I must say it is stellar in many ways and not so great in others.  I sent an email to Sergio of Earpower with my concerns about the mid-bass and fit and here is the response from his translator:

"Most of EARPOWER's clients are professional musicians who specifically request a substantial presence of bass frequencies on stage. The product you received is tailored to this end. Following your observations, it is clear that you have a professional audiophile approach to the assessment of these products and therefore naturally require a flat response. This is a straightforward adjustment that Sergio can make directly on your earphones."

They have arranged for the EP-10 Plus to be shipped back and forth, but I still have some questions I would like answered first, as below 600Hz the bass of the EP-10 Plus is stunning, comparing with the bass of the LCD-2!

I do like these a lot and for the first time am using the EQ on my iPod for portable use so I can enjoy these.  If they can get these to sound like they do with the EQ on, I will be able to recommend these!  So, regardless of what components they have used, the sound is very very good in many ways and might just get a whole lot better!  More to come.

Edit: And as time has passed the comfort has improved.

Nov 19, 2010 at 11:16 AM Post #17 of 31
Hi, thanks for your PM...
I have other questions. From EP-10 Plus 's site, looking at pictures, they seem a little "big". Do you confirm? Could you post pictures of yours? About isolation, are they opened in any way due the dinamic driver needs "vented"?
Thanks, Andrea.

Ps: forget it! I did not see the previous page.....

Nov 20, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #18 of 31
Joe you are a hero for testing these!

While the choice of those Senns may seem cheap, they are actually a lot more expensive than any comparable balanced armature bass unit. (Edit: It appears that I may be quite wrong about this.) On the other hand, also using them for the cable does strike me as a bit cheap.

Keep us posted on the post-adjustment sound please.

Nov 20, 2010 at 6:56 PM Post #19 of 31
$20 to $25 is a lot more expensive than any comparable balanced armature bass unit?  I don't think I can say I agree with your statement based on what I have heard.  Take this post, which states a single bass driver is $26, so $52 for a small quantity.  I can't imagine Earpower is moving a huge number of units, so the wholesale cost would run 1/2 to 1/3rd the cost.  And if they are getting a ear bud that is selling for $20 at wholesale prices, what would that be, $10 ($5 per driver + the cable)?  Plus, I don't know how much the bass drivers in say the SM3 or EM3 Pro or JH 16 cost (which are custom built).  Please let me know where you are getting your info on price.  And yes, the cable...

And I am not saying they are not worth the price and the R&D and creativity that went into making them is not worth it, but it makes me think a little...

But, back to the sound of the EP-10 Plus...great!  I have sent a response email to them as well as my summary of the EP-10 Plus for my upcoming comparison review.  They can take a while to respond, so I am going to make sure the lower bass will remain the same or very similar when they tune the mid-bass down, otherwise I will probably just keep them as is and EQ them.  This is the first IEM I have thought is worth EQing!

Nov 20, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #20 of 31
It was hearsay from on here and, on reflection, not the best source. Also I had a brain cramp on the obvious: even though they are buying a retail headphone, they are getting two drivers with each set of Senns.

Nevermind then. :)

Nov 20, 2010 at 8:13 PM Post #21 of 31
Yea, I thought balanced armature drivers cost much more than dynamic drivers in general, and throw out the higher end ones used in high end customs, etc.  Who really knows, but I (or we :wink:) are focusing on the wrong thing...how do they sound?

I actually do hope they tell me they can adjust the mid-bass and not affect the deep bass, which is stellar.  I do think these deserve to be in the conversation when $1K customs are consideration...

Nov 21, 2010 at 3:10 AM Post #22 of 31
Quote:
This is the first IEM I have thought is worth EQing!

Funny, I'm usually quite supportive of EQing and believe it can make a big difference, especially with cheaper phones. Even the not-so-cheap IE8 are IMO a textbook example for the benefits of EQing. Yet, contrary to your logic, I tend to think €600 phones shouldn't need EQing to sound stellar. But then again, these are built around cheap earbuds, so maybe our views aren't as contrary in the end.
wink.gif

Btw, from numerous visits to their country I know for a fact that Italians are a very likeable mix of creativity and crazyness. Needless to say, these phones fit the picture.

Nov 23, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #23 of 31

Quote:
Funny, I'm usually quite supportive of EQing and believe it can make a big difference, especially with cheaper phones. Even the not-so-cheap IE8 are IMO a textbook example for the benefits of EQing. Yet, contrary to your logic, I tend to think €600 phones shouldn't need EQing to sound stellar. But then again, these are built around cheap earbuds, so maybe our views aren't as contrary in the end.
wink.gif

Btw, from numerous visits to their country I know for a fact that Italians are a very likeable mix of creativity and crazyness. Needless to say, these phones fit the picture.

Yes, you definitely are for EQing :)  I guess my thought is the lower priced IEMs don't have the technical merit to bother and there are so many different ones that I can just get another with similar technical ability but a different sound sig.  Plus, I remember trying to EQ several IEMs back in the day and the sound just didn't seem right.  The EP-10 Plus is different.  First, the cost and finality of customs is much different than a cheap IEM and I don't know of any IEM that has the soundstage space of the EP-10 Plus, hence to get the superior soundstage, I am willing to EQ.  It really doesn't have anything to do with the driver, at least from what Earpower is telling me; it is the tuning.

I like the IE8 without EQ for quite a while, but did make adjustments other than EQ to fix it.  One of the things I look for above all else is the size of the space, and then what else does the IEM have to offer.  The IE8 had very nice width, the SM3 has even better width and has much more front-to-back.  At least to my ears as I don't think you heard it the same way.  The EP-10 Plus adds to what the SM3/EM3 Pro offer, and the space is nearly as big as the LCD-2 to my ears, which is a feat.  To have that portability and some isolation on the go is very nice.  Sure, I am giving up several things in the process, but it seems there are usually trade offs!

I am waiting to hear back from Earpower with more information as I believe Sergio is trying to see what he can do to improve the sound to make it more appealing to head-fi members.  I do think certain members will really like the EP-10 Plus depending on what Earpower can do.  Time will tell, but for now I am using the EQ!0

Nov 26, 2010 at 11:35 AM Post #25 of 31

aaQuote:
These things are growing on me.  I love the space and they bass along with the portability!

Did Sergio re-tune them for you?

Nov 26, 2010 at 12:17 PM Post #26 of 31
Not retuned yet.  I have my iPod rockbox EQed with a -8 dB at 800 Hz and they do sound very good when paired with the Pico Slim.  These are more fun than anything else I have that is portable.  

I emailed Sergio with my concern about tuning, as I don't want to lose deep bass when the mid-bass is tuned down, so he is working on "revisions."   I also told him my other thoughts (detail level, cable, etc.) but I am not sure what he is working on.  

Nov 26, 2010 at 2:06 PM Post #27 of 31

ssQuote:
Not retuned yet.  I have my iPod rockbox EQed with a -8 dB at 800 Hz and they do sound very good when paired with the Pico Slim.  These are more fun than anything else I have that is portable.  

I emailed Sergio with my concern about tuning, as I don't want to lose deep bass when the mid-bass is tuned down, so he is working on "revisions."   I also told him my other thoughts (detail level, cable, etc.) but I am not sure what he is working on.  

I should be getting the Future Sonics Ear Monitors--I hope you pick up a pair someday, I'd love to see your review and comparisons to these and other customs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back