Has anybody tried the Grado driver-venting mod?
Sep 12, 2011 at 8:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

bmd004

New Head-Fier
There is this mod where you open the headphones and poke holes in the driver backs. Here is a picture:

It's supposed to help the bass and make everything more crisp. 

Has anybody ever done this? How does it sound?

Sep 12, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #2 of 11
I don't know about 'making everything more crisp' but it definitely does add to the bass.  I was very satisfied after I poked the holes.  My only advice would be to poke the holes one or two at a time.  Some find one or two holes plenty, I went with 5 and others pop all ten.

Happy modding!

Sep 13, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #3 of 11

Quote:
I don't know about 'making everything more crisp' but it definitely does add to the bass.  I was very satisfied after I poked the holes.  My only advice would be to poke the holes one or two at a time.  Some find one or two holes plenty, I went with 5 and others pop all ten.

Happy modding!

Yeah, I was going to start with two and see how I liked it. One quick question...

To put the headphones back together, do you heat up the glue and put them back together, or is it still soft enough to just put right back on?

Thanks.

Sep 13, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #5 of 11
Don't poke all the holes as it will make the sound way too bassy to the point of becoming muddy. Better to start with 2 and poke additional holes if you want more bass. IIRC the PS1000 also only has 2 holes poked.

Jan 17, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #6 of 11
Sorry to revive a dead thread and all, but I found that 10 holes sounds wonderful. I haven't noticed any decrease in clarity whatsoever. It's given the bass a new life, it's really deep, wonderful with impacts. I love this mod. 

Jan 18, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #7 of 11
I think poking all holes do muddy up the bass quite a bit. Noticeable enough. Atleast to my ears.
Weirdly enough I thought the damping the driver actually helped with the resonance. 
Enough to be heard.

I'm trying to go cover up some of the holes 
biggrin.gif

Any ideas on what material to use? 

Jan 18, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #9 of 11

Quote:
I think poking all holes do muddy up the bass quite a bit. Noticeable enough. Atleast to my ears.
Weirdly enough I thought the damping the driver actually helped with the resonance. 
Enough to be heard.

I'm trying to go cover up some of the holes 
biggrin.gif

Any ideas on what material to use? 

I've heard that a dryer sheet works well, or a silky semi-permeable material also works well. You don't want to fully close the off though, that will, in theory, make them sound worse.

Jan 19, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #10 of 11
Yes indeed I was looking for something that would lessen the airflow rather than completely block it. Semi permeable seems to be the way to go..

Btw how is OP liking the xtra bass grados 
biggrin.gif

Dec 8, 2020 at 9:28 PM Post #11 of 11
Written to grado uk for info on paper/cloth supply to undo 4 holes that were done by ebay seller of used 500e's. These cans offer good bass but these now sound flabby. Will update when i hear back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back