Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Jul 28, 2022 at 6:32 AM Post #4,531 of 4,588
Recently I bought a Gumby thinking it would sound better than my Mimby (v2). Not so, even after 8-10 days of warm-up, and I ended up returning it. Although the Gumby had a slight advantage in hearing through the layers of music, and maybe a slightly wider soundstage and refined treble, the Mimby sounds fuller, more engaging, and a soundstage just as deep (probably a bit taller).

It is such a great DAC, I knew that anyway but was hungry for more of the same. Sadly it did not work out that way for me with the Gumby.

Anyone else found the same?

Andrew
On the bright side, you did save some money!

I don’t know what amp you have, but I have found in my experience that you’ll need a bigger amp to hear all the improvements a bigger DAC can give.

For example, with the Lyr3 I heard quite a big difference going from the internal multibit card (essentially the same as a Modi Multibit) to a Bifrost2.
However, even though the improvements of the Bifrost2 were still there using a Vali2+, there was much less of a difference to my ears compared to it connected to a Modi Multibit.

Jul 28, 2022 at 9:42 AM Post #4,532 of 4,588
Recently I bought a Gumby thinking it would sound better than my Mimby (v2). Not so, even after 8-10 days of warm-up, and I ended up returning it. Although the Gumby had a slight advantage in hearing through the layers of music, and maybe a slightly wider soundstage and refined treble, the Mimby sounds fuller, more engaging, and a soundstage just as deep (probably a bit taller).

It is such a great DAC, I knew that anyway but was hungry for more of the same. Sadly it did not work out that way for me with the Gumby.

Andrew
Too bad. I wanted to upgrade from my Mojo 2 to the Gungnir Multibit but now i'm not so sure. I'm generaly convinced that many people should listen to their onboard soundcard and compare it to their DAC, they would be surprised how close those two sound to each other.

Jul 28, 2022 at 9:50 AM Post #4,533 of 4,588
My Mimby has been a favorite DAC forever. I had a Bifrost multibit but the mimby sounded just like it. The Bifrost multibit is long gone but mimby stayed. I've had a Bifrost 2 in my Schiit cart several times but the mimby still works for me. I also use a Modius using the balanced output and it's a damn fine DAC. You get a lot of bang for your buck with Schiit.

Jul 28, 2022 at 10:30 AM Post #4,534 of 4,588

Andrew
I had the same issue with headphone, I like D5200, thinking D9200 would be an upgrade only to find out it changes the tonal balance.

So often I find when you upgrade things are just "different".

Though Mimby is known to not have good usb implementation. Are you using usb or coax or spdif?

I had a Mimby and sold it, if they ever come out with unison usb Mimby then I'll be very tempted to buy it again lol.

Jul 28, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #4,536 of 4,588
I'm physical media and use an Audiolab transport coax to my mimby and then to an Agard 3. I use my Modius balanced to a Drop THX789 even though that's not a true balanced amp. Still sounds great. So far in the headphones dept I have Focal Clear Pros, Senn HD600, Avantone planar, and Audio Technica WP900.

Jul 28, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #4,537 of 4,588
Too bad. I wanted to upgrade from my Mojo 2 to the Gungnir Multibit but now i'm not so sure. I'm generaly convinced that many people should listen to their onboard soundcard and compare it to their DAC, they would be surprised how close those two sound to each other.

IMO forget about Gungnir Multibit if you’re going to use the SE out. You must use the balanced out to a balanced DAC for it to be worth its asking price

Jul 28, 2022 at 1:38 PM Post #4,538 of 4,588
The Mimby is such a good DAC :)
That it is, indeed. :)

I’m not letting mine go anytime soon, it’s performing admirably together with my Vali2+ and Aegir in my humble little speaker setup.

Jul 28, 2022 at 3:28 PM Post #4,539 of 4,588

Andrew

I am the current owner of a Modius, a Modi Multibit, and a Gungnir Multibit. I'm also the past owner of a Bifrost Uber. I'm not a headphone listener, I don't even own a pair. However through speakers, I've found that going up the ladder with Schiit DACs produces a very noticeable increase in sound quality. My Gumby is an older unit, and recently I sent it in to get upgrade to Unison. While it was gone I put the Modius in it's place. I used the same balanced cables that I had been using with the Gungnir. While the Gungnir was gone I enjoyed the sound of the Modius. However when I reconnected the Gumby upon its return, I was floored by how much better it was than the Modius. Interestingly, when Schiit upgraded the USB to Unison, they also changed the source button the the new matte version, an unexpected touch.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2022 at 3:37 PM Post #4,540 of 4,588
I am the current owner of a Modius, a Modi Multibit, and a Gungnir Multibit. I'm also the past owner of a Bifrost Uber. I'm not a headphone listener, I don't even own a pair. However through speakers, I've found that going up the ladder with Schiit DACs produces a very noticeable increase in sound quality. My Gumby is an older unit, and recently I sent it in to get upgrade to Unison. While it was gone I put the Modius in it's place. I used the same balanced cables that I had been using with the Gungnir. While the Gungnir was gone I enjoyed the sound of the Modius. However when I reconnected the Gumby upon its return, I was floored by how much better it was than the Modius. Interestingly, when Schiit upgraded the USB to Unison, they also changed the source button the the new matte version, an unexpected touch.
A Gungnir is wee bit more in $$$ than a Modius:) I'd definitely have one if my fixed income would allow it. I think that would be my end game DAC. I'm glad you enjoy yours!

Jul 28, 2022 at 11:36 PM Post #4,541 of 4,588
The Gungnir is very much worth buying if you're only going to use the RCA outputs. The RCA outputs from the Gungnir are better than the balanced outputs from the Bifrost 2. Noticeably better that makes the Gungnir worth the extra cost over the Bifrost 2.

I own a Gungnir A1, Bifrost 2, and Modi Multibit.

My single ended amps are a Cavalli Liquid Fire and a Liquid Glass. If the single ended outputs from the Gungnir made the DAC not worth the money I'd notice. My balanced amps are a Liquid Platinum and Liquid Gold X. The Liquid Fire fed with the single ended outputs from the Gungnir sounds better than the Liquid Platinum fed with the balanced outputs. Which is how it should be because the Liquid Fire amp sounds noticeably better than the Liquid Platinum.

I also find the Gungnir A1 to sound noticeably better than the Bifrost 2 in my system. The Gungnir has noticeably better resolution in the midrange along with noticeably better midrange warmth and tonality. The Gungnir is very much worth the extra money above the Bifrost 2 in my system. And very very much worth it above the Modi Multibit.

The Modi Multibit is an affordable introduction to the Schiit multibit sound. It is useful as a smaller Schiit multibit DAC that is more easily transportable. But for dedicated listening with better amps the Bifrost 2 or Gungnir are much more suitable.

Nov 10, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #4,545 of 4,588
Mimby is history? Happy to say i have one as an alternate in my main system, though i could swap it into a different HP-only system easily enough. My main 2-channel system has a locally made VTV amp (Hypex NC250) which only has balanced inputs. Originally i used a Schiit Saga with RCA-to-XLR cables. Thinking that was a SQ bottleneck of some sort i eventually added an SMSL HO200, primarily as the preamp, as it has balanced inputs/outputs. Doubles as an HP amp. i gave my Saga to my son, who has most of my old stereo equipment. Bought a Mimby in January of this year. I was on the fence, figuring it was a five-year-old design, and perhaps they'd be updating it soon (i'd also given my son my Modi 3). Glad i got it, the sound is similar to the Burr-Brown DACs i like. If it's not feasible for Schiit to make it again then i'm more than glad it's here.
But having that audio-fool itch, i got an SMSL D300, in part for a fully balanced signal chain, also in part for remote volume control (the HO200 was six feet away from my listening chair for manual volume adjustment!) and for having a different chip, the Rohm BD-whatever. Having both DACs in parallel i could do a non-blind A-B and to my ears the sound was all but identical, such that the convenience of the remote volume became the deciding factor in mostly using the D300 chain. That said the HO200 also has SE inputs, and i used those for other gear, ultimately asking for my Saga back and piggy-backing that onto the other preamp, so as to have use of the Saga's set of inputs. Nothing blew up, lol. The system as it is now includes three CD source options (one has the old Pacific Microsonics HDCD processor, and i found, back in the day, that i really enjoyed the sound of those), i can listen old-school through their internal DACs, or two through the Mimby, one through the Rohm, so five options to convert the signal of any one CD to analog (my son has all my old vinyl). Kind of Rube Goldberg, a lot of fun, but i can get lost in the weeds. i spent a lot of time listening to the Elvis Costello - Burt Bacharach "Painted from Memory," an HDCD, three different ways, one after the other, good thing i took notes i can refer to because i can't remember which sounded best! (the main difference was how the vocals presented in the mix). The music is what matters most, and the mind meets it halfway, which is why you can love music through a little transistor radio. It's about set and setting, though the "set" isn't just mindset but what you got, glad i got that Mimby, even if it's mostly a second-string player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back