Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Dec 10, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #4,471 of 4,588
I have some analysis paralysis going on and would like to ask a quick question. I'm currently stuck on pulling the trigger between a Schiit Modi Multibit and a Mobius. I'm curious if anyone could check out what I'll be using it for and see what the recommendations are. I 'll be using it in pretty much 2 separate ways:

A. As a desktop dac to run into a headphone amp in my office. I'll be streaming through Apple Music via my iPhone or iPad. Headphone-wise it'll be split between the Audeze LCD-2C and Grado RS1x.

B. I also want the ability to take the dac out to the living room and run it through my stereo system. It's a vintage 80's Crown analog rack system with a preamp rack and power amp rack, then out to the floor speakers.

Another factor is form factor with the headphone amp...I'm considering either the Asgard (no dac) or Magni+/Magni Heresy. Silly I know but when in my office I think having a Modi on an Asgard or Modius on a Magni would bother me...if that makes sense.

So - Modius or Modi Multibit??? I'm leaning towards the Modius with the unison USB and the variety of ways I'll use it...but maybe the Mimby would be a better choice.

And basically the dac I choose will help pretty much determine the headphone amp (at least the footprint....move over Asgard, the Lyr is in town).

Thanks for any info.

Dec 10, 2021 at 5:59 PM Post #4,473 of 4,588
I have some analysis paralysis going on and would like to ask a quick question. I'm currently stuck on pulling the trigger between a Schiit Modi Multibit and a Mobius. I'm curious if anyone could check out what I'll be using it for and see what the recommendations are. I 'll be using it in pretty much 2 separate ways:

A. As a desktop dac to run into a headphone amp in my office. I'll be streaming through Apple Music via my iPhone or iPad. Headphone-wise it'll be split between the Audeze LCD-2C and Grado RS1x.

B. I also want the ability to take the dac out to the living room and run it through my stereo system. It's a vintage 80's Crown analog rack system with a preamp rack and power amp rack, then out to the floor speakers.

Another factor is form factor with the headphone amp...I'm considering either the Asgard (no dac) or Magni+/Magni Heresy. Silly I know but when in my office I think having a Modi on an Asgard or Modius on a Magni would bother me...if that makes sense.

So - Modius or Modi Multibit??? I'm leaning towards the Modius with the unison USB and the variety of ways I'll use it...but maybe the Mimby would be a better choice.

And basically the dac I choose will help pretty much determine the headphone amp (at least the footprint....move over Asgard, the Lyr is in town).

Thanks for any info.
Modi + Asgard is plenty powerful for your phones single-ended. Modi Multibit, don't know if that offers any advantage over the modern delta sigma ESS DAC in the Modi 3+.

Dec 10, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #4,474 of 4,588
I've used the Modi multibit with an Asgard 3 for quite a while now and I'm very happy with the combo. Several times I've had a Bifrost 2 in my cart but I always put off ordering because I'm so happy with the Modi multibit and Asgard 3. I also have a Modius but the multibit gets the most use.

Dec 10, 2021 at 7:07 PM Post #4,476 of 4,588
Did Schiit stop using the AK4490 in the Modi 3+?
I think they switched the plug in modules (for like Asgard, Lyr...etc) over to ESS chips already. But for Modi 3+ they have plan to but not yet I think.

It's the AKM fire, now everyone is switching over to ESS due to not enough AKM chips.

I know people will tell me "dac chip doesn't matter it's the implementation" but for this price range I can hear the difference and for my preference I like ESS more (again, preference).

But between Modi Multibit vs Modius, I think I'd lean more on Modius since it has unison USB. I'd only go Modi Multibit if you plan to use Eitr.

It's the timing clock difference. Basically Unison is more accurate timing which result in wider sound stage and better layering. When timing cue are worse it result in more close in sound and less layering, which I find is the case with the default Modi Multibit USB.

Dec 11, 2021 at 12:19 AM Post #4,477 of 4,588
I think they switched the plug in modules (for like Asgard, Lyr...etc) over to ESS chips already. But for Modi 3+ they have plan to but not yet I think.

It's the AKM fire, now everyone is switching over to ESS due to not enough AKM chips.

I know people will tell me "dac chip doesn't matter it's the implementation" but for this price range I can hear the difference and for my preference I like ESS more (again, preference).

But between Modi Multibit vs Modius, I think I'd lean more on Modius since it has unison USB. I'd only go Modi Multibit if you plan to use Eitr.

It's the timing clock difference. Basically Unison is more accurate timing which result in wider sound stage and better layering. When timing cue are worse it result in more close in sound and less layering, which I find is the case with the default Modi Multibit USB.

With Bifrost 2, it’s the marriage between MMB and Modius, but with technicalities, sound stage and layering a clear cut above both. Then again it’s priced more than both combined so it evens out

Dec 11, 2021 at 1:59 AM Post #4,478 of 4,588
With Bifrost 2, it’s the marriage between MMB and Modius, but with technicalities, sound stage and layering a clear cut above both. Then again it’s priced more than both combined so it evens out
lol yeah basically this hahah.

So Modi Multibit + Eitr kind of give you poor man's Bifrost 2 for about half price. :stuck_out_tongue:

Dec 11, 2021 at 4:24 AM Post #4,479 of 4,588
So Modi Multibit + Eitr kind of give you poor man's Bifrost 2 for about half price. :stuck_out_tongue:
Absolutely, and Bifrost2 of course, is poor man’s Yggdrasil (for a third of that price) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Feb 16, 2022 at 6:22 AM Post #4,480 of 4,588
Over the years i have bought and sold the modi MB a few times and never really felt it was what i was looking for. But, after hearing about the op-amp swap to liven up, enhance clarity and generally improve the sound qualities of the modi mb I decided to give it a try. WOW

I am more than surprised by the result of the simple swap involving 3 op amps on the bottom side of the board, including the I/V and buffer, and the DC offset OPamps on the bottom side of the board. The swap of just three components breathes all new life into the little DAC. Staging, textures and Clarity/Air are the stand out improvements. Its the modi mb 2 that many have been asking for!

the involved parts are the 2x AD8512 with x2 OPA1656 and the 1 AD0821 with OPA2156
opamp swap.jpeg

Of course, it involves risk as the board is tightly packed with components that could easily be damaged with rogue solder or a slip of the iron so please be careful.

Feb 16, 2022 at 9:44 AM Post #4,481 of 4,588
Over the years i have bought and sold the modi MB a few times and never really felt it was what i was looking for. But, after hearing about the op-amp swap to liven up, enhance clarity and generally improve the sound qualities of the modi mb I decided to give it a try. WOW

I am more than surprised by the result of the simple swap involving 3 op amps on the bottom side of the board, including the I/V and buffer, and the DC offset OPamps on the bottom side of the board. The swap of just three components breathes all new life into the little DAC. Staging, textures and Clarity/Air are the stand out improvements. Its the modi mb 2 that many have been asking for!

the involved parts are the 2x AD8512 with x2 OPA1656 and the 1 AD0821 with OPA2156

Of course, it involves risk as the board is tightly packed with components that could easily be damaged with rogue solder or a slip of the iron so please be careful.

Any advice for someone who has done very little soldering before? Such as which solder you would recommend buying and a starter guide for doing simple job like this? I would appreciate it. Was looking to go bifrost 2, but if this would be a good improvement, I would settle for this.

I also wanted to point something out that some might find interesting. I know this website is based on headphones so I'm sorry if this is out of place. The mb (I have the 2nd version) didn't really do much for me with headphones (dt990 pro/hd58x jubilee/hifiman he400i). I decided to give speaker monitors a try and I have to say it is really impressive pairing with the elac navis bookshelves. Originally I had the Cambridge cxa81 hooked up to them. I was curious how the mb compared to the Sabre dac and preamp in the Cambridge unit. Even with just the sys preamp (now using saga +) it made the sound of the Cambridge sound thin and lacking engagement and bass. Adding the saga + and wow what a difference in the soundstage and instrument and voice separation. It's spectacular.

Anyway I would be really curious if this tweak would make a difference.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #4,485 of 4,588
Since I don't have the skills to do this it's a good thing that I'm happy with the modi multibit the way it is.
Yeah… hold onto all original packaging, too. Makes re-selling much more profitable.
If you are interested in DIY… go to Ali or eBay and get a stuffed DAC board. Much cheaper… and unmodded sonics not far from Schiit. And then when you do mod …. Whoa Nelly …. unnnnnnnnnnnggggggghhhhhhhh! Pass the TP 🧻 puhleeze…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back