Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Nov 9, 2021 at 6:06 AM Post #4,456 of 4,588
You can't beat the Modi multibit for $250. I had one and sold it to try something else and missed it so much that I bought another one several months ago and now use it exclusively with my Audiolab CD6000CDT transport.
I've owned a Modi 3, Bifrost 4490, Bifrost multibit, Modius, and Topping D50. The Modi multibit is still my favorite. I've been intending to buy a Bifrost 2 but the Modi multibit has kept me happy, as has my Asgard 3. $1500 headphones and a $250 DAC and $200 headphone amp but it works for me. My birthday is this month so I'm finally going to take the Bifrost 2 plunge. I was considering an Ares II but I'm going to stay loyal to Schiit.
Bought my Ifi ZEN DAC Signature and it blows my Modi Multibit and all of my modi 2 3 out of the water. And it is $250. Even my Apple dongle has a more detailed, agreeable and subtle sound compared to my Modi Multibit IMO

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #4,457 of 4,588
Is silver color of Multibit the same as Magni 3+? I keep an eye out ebay and some of them are shiny, others are matte.
I don't know about Magni 3+, but my Mod Multibit had the same finish as the Vali 2+, which is a current generation item.

I think the older Schiit product uses brushed aluminum while the new one is painted matte finish.

That being said if you get an Eitr to go with the Modi Multibit it will be the old finish.

Nov 9, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #4,458 of 4,588
That being said if you get an Eitr to go with the Modi Multibit it will be the old finish.

There may be some EITRs in the current finish floating around if you end up with current models and would like it to match.

source: I bought an EITR closeout from Schiit a few months ago (2021) and it was in the same finish as current matte finish. Unfortunately, it is only available in silver and stands out in my stack of black Schiit.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #4,459 of 4,588
Bought my Ifi ZEN DAC Signature and it blows my Modi Multibit and all of my modi 2 3 out of the water. And it is $250. Even my Apple dongle has a more detailed, agreeable and subtle sound compared to my Modi Multibit IMO
I have to say Modi Multibit with Eitr and without Etir sound quite different actually. With Eitr the soundstage got wider and the small details start to come out. Without it feels a bit closer to your face and you only hear the "big sounds" not too much subtleties.

Each has their own charm, like for example I like the intimate sound without Eitr but I like the detail and layering with Eitr. But factor in price I think iFi Zen Dac Signature probably (haven't heard it yet) is a much better value lol.
There may be some EITRs in the current finish floating around if you end up with current models and would like it to match.

source: I bought an EITR closeout from Schiit a few months ago (2021) and it was in the same finish as current matte finish. Unfortunately, it is only available in silver and stands out in my stack of black Schiit.
lol ah that's good to know, though hunting down an Eitr is a chore on its own these days since it's discontinued.

So probably going to be hard to be picky now. :p

Nov 9, 2021 at 2:23 PM Post #4,460 of 4,588
I have to say Modi Multibit with Eitr and without Etir sound quite different actually. With Eitr the soundstage got wider and the small details start to come out. Without it feels a bit closer to your face and you only hear the "big sounds" not too much subtleties.

Each has their own charm, like for example I like the intimate sound without Eitr but I like the detail and layering with Eitr. But factor in price I think iFi Zen Dac Signature probably (haven't heard it yet) is a much better value lol.

lol ah that's good to know, though hunting down an Eitr is a chore on its own these days since it's discontinued.

I can concur. The newer mimby firmware/chip along with an Eitr is pretty noticable compared to older firmware/chip Mimby alone.
A newer mimby with unison USB is what's needed, since Eitrs are hard to come by now.

I'll add that of someone really wants a like-new Eitr, send me a PM. Mine's been sitting in an empty office for a good while.

Nov 9, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #4,461 of 4,588
I can concur. The newer mimby firmware/chip along with an Eitr is pretty noticable compared to older firmware/chip Mimby alone.
A newer mimby with unison USB is what's needed, since Eitrs are hard to come by now.

I'll add that of someone really wants a like-new Eitr, send me a PM. Mine's been sitting in an empty office for a good while.
Oh yeah Unison USB Mimby would be great, though someone told me they haven't do it yet due to physical size restrictions. Like Mimby literally has no more space inside to fit Unison USB.

Hopefully they figure something out eventually though.

Nov 9, 2021 at 11:38 PM Post #4,462 of 4,588

Tks for your info. Actually I used the Mumby via coaxial connection as I couldn’t bear the distortion (type of distortion I can’t point out but feel) via usb. I bought many v1 and v2 mumbys for my use and selling affair so I knew about the dac very much. Couldn’t buy the Eitr though because there’s no shop selling them in my country :frowning2:

Nov 10, 2021 at 8:54 AM Post #4,463 of 4,588
Tks for your info. Actually I used the Mumby via coaxial connection as I couldn’t bear the distortion (type of distortion I can’t point out but feel) via usb. I bought many v1 and v2 mumbys for my use and selling affair so I knew about the dac very much. Couldn’t buy the Eitr though because there’s no shop selling them in my country :frowning2:
Lol yeah it's really hard to find Eitr outside USA, your best bet is to see if anyone from Head-Fi is willing to ship it to your country. I have the same problem in Canada. :sweat_smile:

4 messages up I think SolaVirtus is selling his, could shoot him a message.

Nov 14, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #4,464 of 4,588
Last Monday my brand new Mimby arrived, and as predicted it has taken a while to warm up.

It initially took 8 hours to start refining its initial rough edges. Then a full 7 days to see a major improvement in how the Mimby gels the timing and synchronicity between musicians - before that I felt that musicians were not performing together as a band.

My comparison is with a Beresford Caiman II with firmware chip updates and Dorado supercap power supply - a brilliant performing Delta Sigma DAC that majors in the fore-mentioned area of timing and synchronisation between musical strands.

So far, into day 7, the Caiman II still has the slight edge in terms of melodic inflection and synchronicity. But the Mimby is still stabilising and improving. In fact the Mimby has a bigger sound and more front-to-back dimensionality to the soundstage with better ability to hear into the depths of the mix. Both have the same excellent left-right breadth. Instruments and voices on the Caiman II have more focus and nimbler boundaries, while the Mimby has more explicit harmonics. Bass on the Mimby has significantly more body, which benefits a headphone like the HifiMan HE5XX. Treble on the Mimby is well behaved but highly informative, with a tad less extension than the Caiman II that contributes to the Caiman's fore-mentioned lead in nimbleness.

Whereas earlier I wasn't feeling it with my Mimby, 7 days in and things are definitely looking up. Can anyone here relate to these observations or recall any further warm up improvements beyond 7 days?

My headphone component chain:
rPi (PiCorePlayer with tweaks) >> HiFiBerry SPDIF/TOSLINK hat >> Caiman II / Mimby >> Schiit Asgard 3 >> Audeze LCD-2C / HifiMan HE5XX

Andrew

Dec 6, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #4,466 of 4,588
I've had my Modi multibit V. 2 for about a month now. I just got done doing a bit of a/b/c testing using my CD players optical and coaxial digital outs and my LG V40 running UAPP bit perfect through the USB.

Given MY system, the USB and coaxial were really close. The optical was the one that sounded a bit different. I seemed to sound a bit thicker and tiny bit more upfront when listening through my Asgard 3 and HD 660S. Less space and clarity(?)

On Rush's YYZ and Limelight, Geddy Less bass was a bit thicker while the coaxial was clearer and more open. The USB was very close to the coaxial in every way. I did like hearing more of the bass.

The differences were minor all around but I could see the optical sounding better on more V shaped sounding equipment while the coaxial and USB would better on warmer equipment.

My other take away is the USB was good, probably no need for Eitr. This may be because I am running from a battery powered decent source vs. a computer USB.

Dec 7, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #4,467 of 4,588
I've had my Modi multibit V. 2 for about a month now. I just got done doing a bit of a/b/c testing using my CD players optical and coaxial digital outs and my LG V40 running UAPP bit perfect through the USB.

Given MY system, the USB and coaxial were really close. The optical was the one that sounded a bit different. I seemed to sound a bit thicker and tiny bit more upfront when listening through my Asgard 3 and HD 660S. Less space and clarity(?)

On Rush's YYZ and Limelight, Geddy Less bass was a bit thicker while the coaxial was clearer and more open. The USB was very close to the coaxial in every way. I did like hearing more of the bass.

The differences were minor all around but I could see the optical sounding better on more V shaped sounding equipment while the coaxial and USB would better on warmer equipment.

My other take away is the USB was good, probably no need for Eitr. This may be because I am running from a battery powered decent source vs. a computer USB.
Crap. I just switched my optical out of my Cd/SACD player into my cheapo Rocketfish BF315 and streamed my LG using Qobuz over Bluetooth and it sounds really good. Not nearly as bloated as it was on my CD player over the same optical cable. The coaxial is still a bit harder hitting but both were good. Apparently the optical out in my CD player is less than that from my $20 clearance Rocketfish. All good though as I no longer need to consider a new wireless streamer thanks to my midi multibit!

Dec 8, 2021 at 12:39 AM Post #4,469 of 4,588
Mimby v2 works best through coaxial input. i have a digione + lps feeding it and it sounds perfect - warmth, clarity, resolution and staging seem to be best with this. Optical sounds thick and meaty, but resolution takes a hit. USB sounded muddy. Feed it with a good coaxial streamer upstream and ur sorted. (all this is from personal experience, YMMV)

Dec 8, 2021 at 7:41 AM Post #4,470 of 4,588
Mimby v2 works best through coaxial input. i have a digione + lps feeding it and it sounds perfect - warmth, clarity, resolution and staging seem to be best with this. Optical sounds thick and meaty, but resolution takes a hit. USB sounded muddy. Feed it with a good coaxial streamer upstream and ur sorted. (all this is from personal experience, YMMV)
I agree although my USB sounds very much identical to the coxial (or at least indistinguishable on MY setup). I wonder if my LG V40 with its battery power is a clean enough source that the USB issues people have is more a source issue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back