Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Jan 30, 2019 at 5:23 PM Post #4,052 of 4,588

Ok good that means I don't have to worry about replacing the MImby. I'm not using a converter I'm using a direct coax connection.
Did you find any differences in optical connections between the 2? The optical on the Multibit sounds dull compared to the coax.

Jan 30, 2019 at 6:00 PM Post #4,054 of 4,588
The one thing I don't like about the Modi 3 I noticed from the pictures, is that its power is sourced through a Micro USB connection. In my experience these connections are flimsy. The connector can get pull out easily and can break or stop working if it gets bent even just a little. If they had to go with USB then a USB-C connection would have been a better solution. I prefer the barrel connector of the Mimby.

Jan 30, 2019 at 6:35 PM Post #4,055 of 4,588
The one thing I don't like about the Modi 3 I noticed from the pictures, is that its power is sourced through a Micro USB connection. In my experience these connections are flimsy. The connector can get pull out easily and can break or stop working if it gets bent even just a little. If they had to go with USB then a USB-C connection would have been a better solution. I prefer the barrel connector of the Mimby.
I think the smaller usb solutions have a longer lifespan. I’ve found my connection on the modi 3 to be more secure than the larger b version as well.

Jan 30, 2019 at 10:38 PM Post #4,059 of 4,588

I've never had a micro USB fail on me. Probably over 20 phones and tablets, plus cameras, headphones, and many other devices. Mini USB, yes, but never micro. You're right, USB-C is supposedly better, but I don't think micro is that bad. Plus, it's a desktop device, so most people probably plug it in once and that's it.

Feb 11, 2019 at 11:32 AM Post #4,064 of 4,588
A ~30 year old CD player (Sony CDP-X303ES) sounded a lot better than ODAC. And I thought ODAC was basically end-game, as in there's nothing better than "audibly transparent". After hearing Modi Multibit (1hour of warm up) I conclude ODAC is anything but transparent (ferrite core USB cable + USB galvanic isolator). It sounds like a potato...imaging is pretty bad, less bass of lower resolution, less details than Multibit (and the CDP). ODAC gets fuzzy/incompetent sounding if there's more than one thing going on in the recording. Whether Multibit is better than the CDP remains to be concluded (the Japanese truly knew WTH they were doing)

Feb 11, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #4,065 of 4,588
A ~30 year old CD player (Sony CDP-X303ES) sounded a lot better than ODAC. And I thought ODAC was basically end-game, as in there's nothing better than "audibly transparent". After hearing Modi Multibit (1hour of warm up) I conclude ODAC is anything but transparent (ferrite core USB cable + USB galvanic isolator). It sounds like a potato...imaging is pretty bad, less bass of lower resolution, less details than Multibit (and the CDP). ODAC gets fuzzy/incompetent sounding if there's more than one thing going on in the recording. Whether Multibit is better than the CDP remains to be concluded (the Japanese truly knew WTH they were doing)

would love to hear your thoughts on modi 3 versus that cd player someday. just curious ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back