1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit

First

Back
261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270
Next

Last
  1. BrotherKathos
    I even prefer the toslink of the modi3 to the usb of the mimby

2. TJ Max
    Ok good that means I don't have to worry about replacing the MImby. I'm not using a converter I'm using a direct coax connection.
    Did you find any differences in optical connections between the 2? The optical on the Multibit sounds dull compared to the coax.

3. triggsviola
    I haven’t heard Modi 3, but I’ve heard a number of DACs with the AKM AK4490 chip and I like the Mimby much better. It sounds more real somehow. I use an Eitr to convert my USB to coax and it sounds great.

tcellguy and joeexp like this.
  4. TJ Max
    The one thing I don't like about the Modi 3 I noticed from the pictures, is that its power is sourced through a Micro USB connection. In my experience these connections are flimsy. The connector can get pull out easily and can break or stop working if it gets bent even just a little. If they had to go with USB then a USB-C connection would have been a better solution. I prefer the barrel connector of the Mimby.

5. BrotherKathos
    I think the smaller usb solutions have a longer lifespan. I’ve found my connection on the modi 3 to be more secure than the larger b version as well.

6. alpovs
    How is Modi 3's USB better than Mimby's? I've never heard this statement before. The specs list the same chip etc. for USB.

7. alpovs
    +1

8. BrotherKathos
    I’m not aware of a better sounding product than the $430 eitr and modi multibit combo without spending at least double the amoumt of cash. By then you are in RME Adi 2dac territory and not much from the gungir multibit either.

9. jnak00
    I've never had a micro USB fail on me. Probably over 20 phones and tablets, plus cameras, headphones, and many other devices. Mini USB, yes, but never micro. You're right, USB-C is supposedly better, but I don't think micro is that bad. Plus, it's a desktop device, so most people probably plug it in once and that's it.

10. caenlenfromOCN
    I have never used SPDIF, only USB so I can't comment.

11. I took crap for this in another thread. It definitely sounds better. For $150 less. It's much cleaner/more clear in every way.

12. joeike
    IMO I to feel the mimby has a real sound to it using Roon to USB or the optical in from a Chromecast audio.

13. AxelCloris Administrator
    Let's please keep the discussion on-topic. Thanks everyone.

the finisher likes this.
  14. eimis
    A ~30 year old CD player (Sony CDP-X303ES) sounded a lot better than ODAC. And I thought ODAC was basically end-game, as in there's nothing better than "audibly transparent". After hearing Modi Multibit (1hour of warm up) I conclude ODAC is anything but transparent (ferrite core USB cable + USB galvanic isolator). It sounds like a potato...imaging is pretty bad, less bass of lower resolution, less details than Multibit (and the CDP). ODAC gets fuzzy/incompetent sounding if there's more than one thing going on in the recording. Whether Multibit is better than the CDP remains to be concluded (the Japanese truly knew WTH they were doing)

caenlenfromOCN and omniweltall like this.
  15. caenlenfromOCN

would love to hear your thoughts on modi 3 versus that cd player someday. just curious ^^

First

Back
261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270
Next

Last