Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Dec 29, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #4,021 of 4,588
I keep swaying back and fourth between getting the Gumby or the RME ADI 2 dac to replace the mimby, but I'm honestly so pleased with the mimby and eitr that I have not really felt a strong motivation to pull the trigger yet.

When I eventually upgrade, I will likely stay with the Schiit Multibit platform. Either a Gumby or Yggy depending on finances. Thankfully I live relatively close to the Schiitr so I will be able to audition them when the time comes.

Dec 29, 2018 at 6:26 PM Post #4,022 of 4,588
When I eventually upgrade, I will likely stay with the Schiit Multibit platform. Either a Gumby or Yggy depending on finances. Thankfully I live relatively close to the Schiitr so I will be able to audition them when the time comes.

Just my experience... I sold the Schiit stack (which I was pleased with) and got the RME ADI-2. I am very, very happy with the upgrade. Sound and functionality wise.

Dec 29, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #4,023 of 4,588
Just my experience... I sold the Schiit stack (which I was pleased with) and got the RME ADI-2. I am very, very happy with the upgrade. Sound and functionality wise.

It does look like very impressive DAC with lots of user controls and features. It’s also less money than a Gumby. And it has a built-in amp.

Dec 29, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #4,024 of 4,588

What headphones are you using with the ADI 2? I really like the eq option of the ADI, and I seem to prefer AKM chips for D/S dacs. But then again my favorite combo is the mimby with eitr and lcd2c, so maybe gumby would be better???? ARRGH I need both!

Dec 30, 2018 at 8:00 AM Post #4,025 of 4,588
What headphones are you using with the ADI 2? I really like the eq option of the ADI, and I seem to prefer AKM chips for D/S dacs. But then again my favorite combo is the mimby with eitr and lcd2c, so maybe gumby would be better???? ARRGH I need both!

The Audeze LCD-MX4, the HD 600 and the Audioquest Nightbirds. So mostly easy to drive headphones. What impressed me the most was the discernable sound quality improvement over the Grace Design m900, which I already and still like. The sound got more exciting with the ADI-2, like the MX4 planar became even more planar.

I can't compare directly with the Schiit stack I had, because I sold it a few weeks before getting the ADI-2, but given that I prefered the m900 to the Schiit, it's fairly clear. The EQ, the Analyzer, the Crossfeed, the remote on which the buttons can be customized to toggle Auto-Dark, EQ, etc. are all also nicer than expected and getting far more use than I thought. Before getting the ADI-2 I thought anything different than the spartan design of Schiit or m900 would "pollute" the atmosphere of the setup. I still like the m900 and will use it at work, but the ADI-2 is another world of sophistication. The added features have not cheapened at all the experience, but the contrary. I guess I would view all this differently if the sound quality had disappointed. Also, with the Schiit stack (Loki included), I had three generic, Made in China warts in my power plug, all taking up space, getting hot, and frankly worrying me about a fire hazard. Now all that is replaced by one and apparently better designed.

Jan 2, 2019 at 5:27 AM Post #4,026 of 4,588
Interesting... I don’t know why but I just compared the multibit and the modi3 and the modi3 sounded better to my ears with the hd6xx and pairing of the magni3 amp. I felt like I did something wrong? This was through the usb input when trying out both dacs.
Hello,
What do you prefer on the modi 3 to the modi multibit may I ask? I am considering buing a modi 3. Tks

Jan 2, 2019 at 3:49 PM Post #4,027 of 4,588
Just an update on my own Mimby experience: my wife can even tell the difference! I played a few tracks (mostly classical and film soundtracks) on my Geshelli Labs ENOG2 PRO then quickly switched to Mimby (which remained powered on). She said the Mimby sounded so much more real. Although the Geshelli Labs sounds great, she was still very much aware that she was listening to a digital representation of music. With the Mimby, less so. We’re running both through a Vali 2.

Jan 6, 2019 at 8:42 PM Post #4,031 of 4,588
Question, is the Modi Multi objectively better than the internal multibit dac for the Jotunheim?
My understanding is that they're basically the same. except the Mimby has more input options. i believe Mike Moffat said something to that affect as well. I have a Jotunheim and am really glad I got the Mimby! More options is always good!

Jan 6, 2019 at 8:59 PM Post #4,032 of 4,588
Along the lines of input options with the mimby gives you the ability to use the gen 5 usb to spdif converter which is possibly even better than the inrernal usb gen 5 of the higher tier dacs from schiit. I can at least vouch that i much prefer the mimby with eitr to without it. I’ve got 2 eitrs and use them on the mimby and another dac and have been pleased. So the mimby has that option. Also if you ever feel like using optical its nice to have the option as well. I use optical on my modi 3 as i think it sounds better than the usb input as well.

Jan 6, 2019 at 9:41 PM Post #4,034 of 4,588
Would the eitr be worth it if I'm only using an android tablet via OTG as a source?

When I was using a laptop, I did have a singxer f-1 , and it made a pretty significant difference in that setup.
I’ve found converting from usb to spdif or toslink improves all my dacs. For me its almost a necessity. Granted none of my dacs are uber expensive multi thaousand dollar rigs, but for your question about the phone i use my iphome with one setup that has a modi 3 and even using a emotiva big ego as a usb to toslink converter improves sq. Just makes the presentation smoother somehow in a way that I honestly can’t consciously hear, but manifests itself in my tendency to always listen to the songs i’m using to ab test longer as well as getting more involved in the music.

When using straight usb i always stop listening sooner and test the other input. Its weird, but its what I experience. Even though I know usb should measure better than toslink and am expecting the usb to sound better especially in the modi 3 which is schii’s best measured dac so far. The fact is I stil prefer toslink. Its strange I know and comes off as snake oily, but for my own personal enjoyment its what works.

Jan 6, 2019 at 9:59 PM Post #4,035 of 4,588
Thanks for the reply BK. I'll have to give it a shot with my mimby.

I’ve found converting from usb to spdif or toslink improves all my dacs. For me its almost a necessity. Granted none of my dacs are uber expensive multi thaousand dollar rigs, but for your question about the phone i use my iphome with one setup that has a modi 3 and even using a emotiva big ego as a usb to toslink converter improves sq. Just makes the presentation smoother somehow in a way that I honestly can’t consciously hear, but manifests itself in my tendency to always listen to the songs i’m using to ab test longer as well as getting more involved in the music.

When using straight usb i always stop listening sooner and test the other input. Its weird, but its what I experience. Even though I know usb should measure better than toslink and am expecting the usb to sound better especially in the modi 3 which is schii’s best measured dac so far. The fact is I stil prefer toslink. Its strange I know and comes off as snake oily, but for my own personal enjoyment its what works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back