Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Sep 13, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #3,496 of 4,588
Right, thank you so much for pointing this out, I sincerely appreciate the gesture and I certainly believe that you are a true asset to this thread. I really do. Blabering aside, I was mostly echoing what someone else asked for:

Down the line there oughta be a Gen5 <$600 multibit DAC anyway, only a matter of time.

There's that tune I really dig and chorus goes like "can't be done be done" but I can't remember the title atm.

Look, Baldr said there is not enough room inside the Mimby case to implement Gen 5 USB. It's not going to happen.....

Sep 13, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #3,497 of 4,588
USB is a not important to me....I still use discs (cd,hdcd,sacd vinyl) and load some music on to USB thumb drives. I have no patience for USB problems, computer problems etc. I use coax or optical connections to my equipment from my source. Really is the fact that USB has so many problems Schiit's fault? One day USB may be perfected..........until it is I will stick with my way! No cleaners or decrapifiers on optical or coax...or is there?

Yeah I'm in the same situation as you...I don't use USB. Coaxial and Toslink is all that I require...thank goodness!

Sep 13, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #3,498 of 4,588
I know I have said in the past that I can't fit (substitute Gen V, multibit, etc. here) in a (Mimby size, jotunheim, BiFrost size, etc.) volume. Sometimes, I rethink those matters and take them as a challenge, i.e. Mimby sized multibit or other stuff which may or may not come. One extra burden in the Mimby size box is only so much room for heat, and the Mimby gets rid of a lot in the small box. A Gen V may well push it over the edge. I don't know, and will NOT try it until the Manhattan, the turntable, one other "build a ship in a bottle" project, and an entirely new product category for Schiit are done. We are talking a LONG while IF feasible without turning the Mimby into a toaster.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Sep 13, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #3,499 of 4,588
I know I have said in the past that I can't fit (substitute Gen V, multibit, etc. here) in a (Mimby size, jotunheim, BiFrost size, etc.) volume. Sometimes, I rethink those matters and take them as a challenge, i.e. Mimby sized multibit or other stuff which may or may not come. One extra burden in the Mimby size box is only so much room for heat, and the Mimby gets rid of a lot in the small box. A Gen V may well push it over the edge. I don't know, and will NOT try it until the Manhattan, the turntable, one other "build a ship in a bottle" project, and an entirely new product category for Schiit are done. We are talking a LONG while IF feasible without turning the Mimby into a toaster.

Smells like Bifrost 2.0!

Sep 13, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #3,500 of 4,588
Yeah I'm in the same situation as you...I don't use USB. Coaxial and Toslink is all that I require...thank goodness!

As it turns out I just finished using USB out of my MacBook Pro into my Mimby/Ember, Bimby/Jot and Bifrost 4490/LP G-109S in order to hear the quality of the HD650's bass and sub-bass (hot on the HD650 thread). All 3 of these Schiit DAC's have Gen 2 USB and guess what? All 3 DAC's Gen 2 sounded terrific (incidentally I can attest that the submitted music videos on the HD650 thread illustrated that the HD650's have terrific bass & sub-bass...at least to me).

I guess I don't understand what all the fuss about Schiit USB implementation is.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #3,501 of 4,588
When I use a grounded amp I get a nasty high-pitched noise with my laptop, galvanically isolated Gen 5 implementation would supposedly solve these issues. I currently use a Centrance DACMini CX which is galvanically isolated and there is no noise, but I had noise with the Modi.

Sep 13, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #3,502 of 4,588
Down the line there oughta be a Gen5 <$600 multibit DAC anyway, only a matter of time.

The Mimby + Eitr is only $429. Though I don't really see why people are so worried about the USB implementation on an entry-level DAC...the Mimby's a great value for the money, sure, but (I think) it's not like most $250 DACs have USB ins comparable to Schiit's Gen5.

Sep 13, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #3,506 of 4,588
Does Schitt run sales during Thanksgiving? Holding up to buy a Mumby or Bifrost (I dont need one at the moment anyway).

from their website: http://www.schiit.com/about/on-deals

ON "DEALS"
We get asked all the time about deals, sales and other incentives, such as Black Friday specials, EZ credit, trade-ins, monthly payments, purchasing with 2 cards, and a whole raft of other “can I get a better price” questions.

So, here’s the deal: We don’t do deals.

Why? Because when you run sales, specials, financing, or other deals, it has exactly three results:

1. It makes everyone wait for the sales, so suddenly your company is addicted to them.
2. It makes everyone who bought before the sales wonder if they got screwed.
3. It makes everything cost more.

Read #3 again. The simplest sales model is one where everything is a fixed cost, no sales, no promos, no special package deals, no loyalty programs, no EZ financing. And simple is inexpensive. Simple means we don’t have to pass the cost along to you. Anytime we do a sale, start a promo, offer a package deal, or start a loyalty program, we’re adding cost to our products.

That’s why we have one price list, no discounts, no sales, no promos–because it passes the savings along to everyone.

Sep 14, 2017 at 4:57 AM Post #3,507 of 4,588
from their website: http://www.schiit.com/about/on-deals

ON "DEALS"
We get asked all the time about deals, sales and other incentives, such as Black Friday specials, EZ credit, trade-ins, monthly payments, purchasing with 2 cards, and a whole raft of other “can I get a better price” questions.

So, here’s the deal: We don’t do deals.

Why? Because when you run sales, specials, financing, or other deals, it has exactly three results:

1. It makes everyone wait for the sales, so suddenly your company is addicted to them.
2. It makes everyone who bought before the sales wonder if they got screwed.
3. It makes everything cost more.

Read #3 again. The simplest sales model is one where everything is a fixed cost, no sales, no promos, no special package deals, no loyalty programs, no EZ financing. And simple is inexpensive. Simple means we don’t have to pass the cost along to you. Anytime we do a sale, start a promo, offer a package deal, or start a loyalty program, we’re adding cost to our products.

That’s why we have one price list, no discounts, no sales, no promos–because it passes the savings along to everyone.

Emotiva stopped doing sales for pretty much exactly the same reasons, if I recall. Last I knew, that is.

Sep 20, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #3,510 of 4,588
I can't imagine anything beyond the Modi multibit from a DAC standpoint, but hey these Schiit guys are always full of delightful surprises.

Personally I would like to see them return to their upgrade philosophy for the Bifrost. A good value-added and economical one that is.
The Gen 5 USB is one that just came out. That enticed me to get one to replace my mimby in the living room and pair it with my saga/vidar.
One thing I wonder about that might be a nice upgrade is a board that replaces the single 5547 chip with a pair of 5781 or 5791 chips. Not sure how much dynamic range improvement could be expected that way (for source material that could take advantage of it)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back