Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Sep 20, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #3,512 of 4,588
The Gen 5 USB is one that just came out. That enticed me to get one to replace my mimby in the living room and pair it with my saga/vidar.
One thing I wonder about that might be a nice upgrade is a board that replaces the single 5547 chip with a pair of 5781 or 5791 chips. Not sure how much dynamic range improvement could be expected that way (for source material that could take advantage of it)

True. However, I seem to recall reading that the Modi (multibit) is maxed out when it comes to space in the Modi/Magni case.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #3,513 of 4,588
Or every chinese DAC that has a better version (XMOS).
Topping D30, SMSL M8/M8A to name two of them.
We are talking about the actual circuit design of the Gen 5 USB, not the driver support. None of those dacs listed have electromagnetic and electrostatic isolation from the USB source.

Sep 20, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #3,514 of 4,588
We are talking about the actual circuit design of the Gen 5 USB, not the driver support. None of those dacs listed have electromagnetic and electrostatic isolation from the USB source.

None of those things are even real causes of problems with USB DAC's.
You can isolate everything as much as you want, it literally has ZERO DIFFERENCE in 99% of situations.

Sep 20, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #3,515 of 4,588
Thus Spoke Zarathustra
babouin%20inarretable.gif

Sep 20, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #3,516 of 4,588
None of those things are even real causes of problems with USB DAC's.
You can isolate everything as much as you want, it literally has ZERO DIFFERENCE in 99% of situations.

Zero? You really have no idea what you are talking about.......

Sep 20, 2017 at 7:25 PM Post #3,518 of 4,588
Zero? You really have no idea what you are talking about.......

Its actually factual.
None of these things are problems anymore.
Power on most motherboards is clean on USB's these days, even laptops.
USB hub chips are very efficient and clean, data flows fine.
Cables do not cause interference, its digital signals.
Data corruption is almost non-existent.
Most high end DAC's have their best outputs via USB because its so much better than other transport methods.

Optical has Jitter issues but is still fine in 99% of situations, coax has the "cleanest" signal provided that the source has clean outputs and converting from USB->Coax is something that costs around $20 to make.

Its funny to see people going crazy over cables, USB implementations and needing "decrapifiers" and "galvanic isolators" and all this other rubbish.
These are non issues on basically every other DAC/Brand threads and with modern hardware these ancient problems have been long fixed.

If computers even had 1/20th of the issues that are suggested here they wouldn't run at all and would be totally unstable.
We have entire computers that fit on the tip of your finger these days and even those don't struggle with the interference issues you guys claim exist with circuits being on the same board LOL

Sep 22, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #3,520 of 4,588
HI all - do you think the $99 Magni 3 headphone amp is worth to pair with my existing Mimby (now paired with integrated stereo amp and speakers) and my cans Ether Flow and ATH-M40X? I pair them with Chord Mojo.

Sep 22, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #3,521 of 4,588
HI all - do you think the $99 Magni 3 headphone amp is worth to pair with my existing Mimby (now paired with integrated stereo amp and speakers) and my cans Ether Flow and ATH-M40X? I pair them with Chord Mojo.
I'd say most definitely.
The Magni is a great amp especially for the price and it has plenty of power to drive literally everything under the sun.

Sep 22, 2017 at 11:26 PM Post #3,524 of 4,588
Just ignore the post above. I like my Mimby with my Magni 2 Uber. Magni 3 should be even better, and cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back