Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Jul 29, 2017 at 1:25 AM Post #3,391 of 4,588
WT %#@*#%? ....You are my new hero!
The WYRD has been the issue this entire time. Talk about an entirely new dynamic. Sounding very filled out, back to it's smooth organic and clean self. Absolutely zero distortion and static. Wow. I had no idea a component that's supposed to clean up USB and all other kinds of imperfections that actually jacks up your system. What do you think the cause of that would be?
Thanx buonassi, I appreciate it.
I have no idea why I even suggested it - other than it was just an extra component in the chain and I certainly am not qualified to explain what could have been the issue. However @leeperry may be able to provide a theory. He's into this tech. I have never used a USB decrapifier before, but I really have never heard the ugly effects of USB generated noise to even consider one. From what I have seen on youtube vids, the noise is quite audible if it's going to be a problem, so if you don't hear noise without wyrd, you probably don't really need the USB "cleaner". I know that some people are very big believers in galvanic isolation, and I simply don't know enough to support or deny their claims to its benefit. Regardless, happy listening, you're back in the game!

Jul 29, 2017 at 8:08 AM Post #3,392 of 4,588
WT %#@*#%? ....You are my new hero!
The WYRD has been the issue this entire time. Talk about an entirely new dynamic. Sounding very filled out, back to it's smooth organic and clean self. Absolutely zero distortion and static. Wow. I had no idea a component that's supposed to clean up USB and all other kinds of imperfections that actually jacks up your system. What do you think the cause of that would be?
Thanx buonassi, I appreciate it.

That's fantastic that things are right now. I wonder if there is a technical issue with your Wyrd. I guess I have been lucky with my iMac as I haven't experienced any noise issues with a USB connection into my DAC. It's similarly as quiet as when I select the toslink connection.

Jul 29, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #3,393 of 4,588
Yeah, it's really wyrd (couldn't help myself) but I'm grateful. I was holding off on saying that as I bought it used off this site. But, it is what it is. It must be a defected unit as its the only explanation. I verified multiple times i had it hooked up right as there's not too much to it.
As the Title of this thread states..
"I'm as happy as a pig in schiit" again.

Jul 29, 2017 at 9:12 PM Post #3,394 of 4,588
I would ask also is if any one included rebooting their computer while sorting out issues. I get the biggest resistance form people who rarely reboot their computer. any time I get glitchy sound first thing i do is reboot the computer, failing that I then move down the chain. no mention has been made here regarding such a basic thing while trouble shooting this problem

Jul 29, 2017 at 9:17 PM Post #3,395 of 4,588
I would ask also is if any one included rebooting their computer while sorting out issues. I get the biggest resistance form people who rarely reboot their computer. any time I get glitchy sound first thing i do is reboot the computer, failing that I then move down the chain. no mention has been made here regarding such a basic thing while trouble shooting this problem

I can only speak for myself but yes, probably the first thing I do with any issues. That's a good call out. I never even considered it to be the WYRD for my issue but it definitely was.

Jul 29, 2017 at 9:20 PM Post #3,396 of 4,588

You shouldn't need to reboot your computer. I only reboot mine once a month due to Windows Updates.
Untitled.jpg

Jul 29, 2017 at 9:40 PM Post #3,397 of 4,588
I usually leave my main computer on as it also serves as a local Plex server.

If not for the plex server I would shut it down at night just to lower power usage, with an SSD it takes about 15 seconds to fully boot up so it's not really a problem.

Jul 31, 2017 at 2:28 AM Post #3,400 of 4,588
Comparing the Schiit Modi 2 Multibit with my Geek Out 2A, I've noticed some differences on my Marantz PM-5005 and Wharfedale SP-87 towers. The 2A is smoother, more laid back, and the bass is tighter and more detailed. The Schiit is brighter, not necessarily more detailed, and not as pleasant and easy to listen to. Same kind of deal on my studio monitors, but I'm still comparing.

Next plans involve running the Schiit into the Valhalla 2 on headphones and seeing how that compares to the 2A as well.

My buddy and I tried it on his system vs a Geek Out 2A as well. My impressions are below:

Overall, pretty neck and neck generally speaking. I think the Multibit was more consistent in "quality", but there were certainly times it would fall behind the Geek Out. Sometimes I had problems telling them apart because the sound signatures would switch back and forth on us, depending on the track. Overall, the vocals on the Multibit were more relaxed and natural sounding, the musical instruments were sharper, more pinpoint accurate, with more detail. Extremely "articulate". But again, there were times I swore I was listening to the Multibit but it was the Geek Out. On some tracks, the Geek Out would be more harsh and treble-filled, but then one track over on the album, the opposite would be true. Overall, the Geek Out was more mellow and laid back, wider soundstage. The Multibit was more powerful, in your face, and accurate.

Both DACs were hooked up to his Macbook, and both were plugged into his P-304 Onkyo Integra Pre-Amp, plugged into his Onkyo M-508 Grand Integra amp. We switched sources on the fly using his Mac and the Pre-Amp, back and forth on the same songs as they ran.

The speakers were Klipsch Chorus 2.

Aug 9, 2017 at 11:32 PM Post #3,402 of 4,588
Why is it that "Schiit_USB_Gen2_1_16" installs right away on W7SP1 with a Modi 2 Uber but with Mimby, it asks me to plug the C-Media USB 2.0 device and refuses to install? I can force its installation manually from the device manager but then I don't get ASIO.

"Schiit_USB_1_03" installs properly on Mimby right away but it's much older, looks like something's missing in the device list of the W7 setup? Need to figure out how to add Mimby's ID to the W7 setup somehow.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #3,404 of 4,588
Take a look in the drivers download page on the Schiit site..there are drivers for Win7/8?
Also sent tech at Schiit a email...they have good support, IMO
Alex

He's saying that he has tried the Win7 drivers available on the Schiit site, but then he doesn't get ASIO when using the Gen 2_1.16 drivers. So then he went with the alternate Win 7 Gen 2 driver 1.03, but says it looks like something is missing when checking the device list. Would be worthwhile to shoot tech support a note though, because as mentioned, they are very responsive and helpful.

I've had the same experience with the drivers as well, but just stuck with the alternate 1.03 driver because it still seems to work and sound great. I'll need to explore the ASIO issue myself after just installing a SPDIF Coax/Optical out back plate cable bracket on my motherboard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back