Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Jan 5, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #1,788 of 4,588
I mean if eating bits of gold makes your poo come out gold and that makes you happy, go for it! Whatever improves the sound to you, is what you should do. Life is about enjoyment and happiness, not measurements and graphs.

Jan 5, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #1,789 of 4,588
Whatever it takes to get the thermal innards just right. I've concluded that a 386 pager works best.

Old trick. You have to take care though- a careless choice can have weird consequences. I tried a certain Tolstoy epic and the staging became so bizarrely gigantic that it almost gave me vertigo. On another occasion, I left some Dan Brown on the top, and the Mimby started sounding more like my Mojo...

Jan 5, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #1,790 of 4,588
Happy as a pig in schiit I am. Just got my multibit and I think it's sounds great out of the box. Maybe I'm crazy, maybe not. But I think there is better detail, fuller sound (i.e. not "thin"), larger dynamic range, bigger stage, and more bass impact than I had out of the uber. Better by a miniscule amount to be sure, but worth it I think. My system is really balanced now price and performance wise, which makes me happy.

Mimby-->iFi iCAN-->THX00

...And to top it all off they tightened up the input button. Score!

Jan 8, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #1,793 of 4,588
I am planning to replace my Fiio Taishan D03K (and Audinst HUD-MX1) with Modi Multibit, but it is paired with an extremely basic tube amp.

Will I be able to see any SQ improvement or should I focus on changing the amp first (I am eyeing one of the Garage1217's tube amps)?

Jan 8, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #1,794 of 4,588
I am planning to replace my Fiio Taishan D03K (and Audinst HUD-MX1) with Modi Multibit, but it is paired with an extremely basic tube amp.

Will I be able to see any SQ improvement or should I focus on changing the amp first (I am eyeing one of the Garage1217's tube amps)?

Hard to say without knowing the particular tube amp. It is possible that a particularly bad or mediocre tube amp could mask the increased detail and soundstage the MiMBy can give.

Jan 8, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #1,795 of 4,588
Hard to say without knowing the particular tube amp. It is possible that a particularly bad or mediocre tube amp could mask the increased detail and soundstage the MiMBy can give.

Thanks! I am using a DIY'ed Fred's tube amp. It's doing fine as long I do not go over the 12 o'clock mark as it would then distort the sound

Worse come to worse, I can always just use the Mimby direct to my headphones (all of which are below 64 Ohms) or my powered speakers, I hope?

Jan 8, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #1,796 of 4,588

Thanks! I am using a DIY'ed Fred's tube amp. It's doing fine as long I do not go over the 12 o'clock mark as it would then distort the sound

Worse come to worse, I can always just use the Mimby direct to my headphones (all of which are below 64 Ohms) or my powered speakers, I hope?

Direct to powered speakers, sure.

Direct to headphones...technically you could get a cable that allows that, but it won't work well due to the Mimby's output impedance (75 Ohms) and you'd need to digitally attenuate a lot to make sure you didn't blow up your cans.

Jan 8, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #1,797 of 4,588

Direct to powered speakers, sure.

Direct to headphones...technically you could get a cable that allows that, but it won't work well due to the Mimby's output impedance (75 Ohms) and you'd need to digitally attenuate a lot to make sure you didn't blow up your cans.

I have built an attenuator as detailed in this link: https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/headphone-attenuation-adapter/ and have the neccessary adapters ready (RCA male to 3.5mm female, 3.5mm male to 6.3mm female)

Will that work too?

Jan 8, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #1,798 of 4,588

I have built an attenuator as detailed in this link: https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/headphone-attenuation-adapter/ and have the neccessary adapters ready (RCA male to 3.5mm female, 3.5mm male to 6.3mm female)

Will that work too?

I am not an EE and don't know how to calculate what resistors you'd need in your attenuation adapter to make your relatively low-impedance headphones work connected directly to a DAC.

If you want to try it out, I'd just recommend starting with your digital volume turned all the way down. As long as you're careful then it shouldn't cause any problems; but I do not know how to calculate what the resultant impedance with the adapters is, and whether that will affect your cans' frequency response.

Jan 8, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #1,799 of 4,588

I am not an EE and don't know how to calculate what resistors you'd need in your attenuation adapter to make your relatively low-impedance headphones work connected directly to a DAC.

If you want to try it out, I'd just recommend starting with your digital volume turned all the way down. As long as you're careful then it shouldn't cause any problems; but I do not know how to calculate what the resultant impedance with the adapters is, and whether that will affect your cans' frequency response.

Thanks, good idea, I can always do that too. The resultant impendance is about 73 Ohms I think but definitely about 25 dB reduction

Jan 8, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #1,800 of 4,588

The DAC output stage is designed for low power, high impedance loads. Hooking it up to a higher power low impedance load could damage the output stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back