Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Jan 10, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #1,816 of 4,588
Just discovered a faint hum coming from my power conditioner where I have the Modi MB, my amp and CD player hooked into.  When I unplug the Modi MB, the hum vanished.  Plugged the Modi into the wall to be sure it was the culprit and sure enough, there is a faint hum coming from the wall where it is plugged into.  I wonder if it is related to the severe sound irritation coming out of my HD800 lately (hard to describe, just a very uncomfortable feeling listening to music, can't listen for very long).

I email Schiit about this.  Has this happened to anyone else?

Jan 11, 2017 at 1:46 AM Post #1,817 of 4,588
  Just discovered a faint hum coming from my power conditioner where I have the Modi MB, my amp and CD player hooked into.  When I unplug the Modi MB, the hum vanished.  Plugged the Modi into the wall to be sure it was the culprit and sure enough, there is a faint hum coming from the wall where it is plugged into.  I wonder if it is related to the severe sound irritation coming out of my HD800 lately (hard to describe, just a very uncomfortable feeling listening to music, can't listen for very long).

No hum on my speaker system with the Modibit being fed USB from laptop or from optical from CD transport.

Jan 11, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #1,818 of 4,588

Do you have other schiit stuffs that uses the modi's wallwart?

Jan 11, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #1,819 of 4,588

Sounds like maybe a faulty wall wart.

Jan 11, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #1,822 of 4,588
My MiMBy came in the mail Monday.  Hooked it up to my Vali 2 with the HE400i.  My listening just went to a whole other level!

Jan 11, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #1,823 of 4,588
Finally ordered a Mimby too! I wonder how much of an upgrade will it be compared to a Fiio Taishan D03K...

Potentially huge upgrade depending on your headphones and amp. The d03k is great for the money, but if the rest of the chain is good, you'll be brought from a digital to musical presentation. The difference for some of my headphones has been drastic, but not as drastic as with others. Time is a really good judge though. Even if big improvements are not immediately apparent for you, I do think you start to pick up on them as you do a lot more listening. Quick a/b tests don't always work for judging sonic improvements.

But at the end of the day, I'll never go back to a d03k. Mimby has brought my system to the next level and is absolutely worth it over modi 2 uber even.

Enjoy!

Jan 11, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #1,824 of 4,588
Looking for opinions of ranking the below USB signal reclockers/cleaners for quality and purity of signal achieved for my future Mimby to be:

USB Regen
Recovery USB Reclocker
Schiit Wyrd

Thanks

Use toslink for the cleanest sound. Glass preferably.

Jan 11, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #1,825 of 4,588
As my Mimby has been sidelined while I wait the replacement wall wart, I've had to hook up the bluray player to play CDs) in the living room to my headphone rig, and use its internal DAC.  I must say, it was easy for me to forget just how good the Modi MB is, having to make do with the DAC inside the bluray player.  The BluRay DAC is a bit like having music played into your ears, vs. the Mimby which is more like hearing recorded music in a real space.  The difference in treble is also striking... the Mimby is much smoother and closer to real life sounding.  Cymbal hits on the Bluray DAC sound almost like artificial computer noises in comparison, sharp, indistinct and fuzzy compared to the Mimby.  There is also a noticeable lack of depth and air to the soundscape with the Bluray DAC, which is crucial for classical and jazz recordings.  Needless to say, I am looking forward to plugging the Mimby back in and getting back to the business of hearing real music in real spaces.

Jan 11, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #1,826 of 4,588
Yup, they are shipping me a new one today.

I think this might have been what was causing me to have a bad listening experience recently with the HD800 since they are probably sensitive enough to pick stuff like that up.

You might get lucky if they ship you more powerful version of wallwart 14VAC 1500mA

Jan 11, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #1,828 of 4,588
Likelihood of this happening-0%. Entertainment value of this post-priceless.

Mine was replaced with that:grin:. Much heavier then original.

Jan 11, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #1,830 of 4,588
  As my Mimby has been sidelined while I wait the replacement wall wart, I've had to hook up the bluray player to play CDs) in the living room to my headphone rig, and use its internal DAC.  I must say, it was easy for me to forget just how good the Modi MB is, having to make do with the DAC inside the bluray player.  The BluRay DAC is a bit like having music played into your ears, vs. the Mimby which is more like hearing recorded music in a real space.  The difference in treble is also striking... the Mimby is much smoother and closer to real life sounding.  Cymbal hits on the Bluray DAC sound almost like artificial computer noises in comparison, sharp, indistinct and fuzzy compared to the Mimby.  There is also a noticeable lack of depth and air to the soundscape with the Bluray DAC, which is crucial for classical and jazz recordings.  Needless to say, I am looking forward to plugging the Mimby back in and getting back to the business of hearing real music in real spaces.

What bluray player are you using?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back