Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Jan 12, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #1,846 of 4,588

On the bright side, the Mimby/Jot combo is probably the best value deal in headphone audio, especially if you have a balanced HD650 to plug into it. The bang for buck really doesn't get much better. It's only senseless mid-fi sidegrades you need to watch out for.

I have this combo and can attest to its stunning performance. It easily competes with more expensive setups I've heard.  Great time to be an audiophile on a budget.

Jan 13, 2017 at 1:34 AM Post #1,848 of 4,588
What about Bimby? I've left mine on 24/7 for about a year now but it doesn't feel warm at all. Not like my Mimby which definitely is warm by comparison.

Mimby has a much smaller space that Bimby inside to heat - that's why the Bimby is cooler.

Thanks! Just wondering, will it be ok to directly stack a tube amp (e.g. Garage1217 Project Ember) on top of a Mimby and let the amp warm the Mimby? Or should I build/buy a simple audio rack for this purpose? (My table is running out of space, hence if I can stack, why not?)

I wouldn't.  The Mimby is quite capable of warming itself.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jan 13, 2017 at 3:57 AM Post #1,850 of 4,588

Thanks, in this case I will see if my table can accomodate for them without stacking, or worse come to worse, just go ahead and build/buy a rack such that I can stack them but they won't physically touch each other

Restate - I wouldn't stack them just to warm the Mimby - stacking is OK, although it is good practice to put the hottest (same footprint) box on top.  If the Mimby is smaller than the amp, you may get away with stacking if it doesn't block any ventilation holes or make the amp hotter.  We even have some Schiitsters turn their gear sideways to save space.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jan 13, 2017 at 4:46 AM Post #1,851 of 4,588

I hear that. I was looking at a DAC upgrade last month and decided on the Mimby and posted a few wanted classifieds to see if a used one would pop up, I ended up buying a Micromega MyDAC and was pretty pleased with it but I forgot to close my ad and a few days later got offered a Mimby for a great price. Wasn't planning on that added expense but oh well. 

Without wishing to become a cracked record, I had a little buyer's remorse when I ordered my Mimby (simply because I was sick of my Mojo's inability to work on warm days, as well as the fact that it really doesn't sound good enough for a desktop component). I wondered if it was an extravagance to randomly buy a new DAC, when I already had one- but once it arrived and warmed up, it became obvious that it was probably the audio bargain of the year.

I don't know what those guys at Schiit are smoking, but sticking to their guns and building something this good so inexpensively, and then not falsely inflating the price shows some sort of old school integrity that's almost unheard of in the world of hifi audio. They're not messing around.

Jan 13, 2017 at 5:27 AM Post #1,852 of 4,588
Currently have HEK 1000 V2 and a QP1R DAP capable of storing over 400GB of flac files. I like the sound but not enough power to drive the HEK often requiring max volume on high gain setting and clips. So added a iFI micro ican SE. This is a transportable amp with amazing power for a small device and can drive the HEK to higher volumes and has a bass boost switch. Unfortunately, it needs a wall outlet
With no built in battery. This combo sounds good for now as a transportable set up while away or moving room to room on my home but wanting to hear what others have come up with as their best transportable stack, for these cans at any price? The Mojo DAC has rave reviews but not sure can drive the HEK to high enough volume without another amp. Much more expensive DAPS also seem limited with an additional amp further adding to a bulky stack for mobility. I also want to be able to stream the likes of TIDAL eventually when away from home on vacation. Please tell me what options are out there to really get the most out of the HEK. THANKS

Jan 13, 2017 at 5:38 AM Post #1,853 of 4,588
With no built in battery. This combo sounds good for now as a transportable set up while away or moving room to room on my home but wanting to hear what others have come up with as their best transportable stack, for these cans at any price? The Mojo DAC has rave reviews but not sure can drive the HEK to high enough volume without another amp. Much more expensive DAPS also seem limited with an additional amp further adding to a bulky stack for mobility. I also want to be able to stream the likes of TIDAL eventually when away from home on vacation. Please tell me what options are out there to really get the most out of the HEK. THANKS

No, the Mojo won't cut it. To be honest, even the DAVE and HEKv2 pairing is deeply underwhelming, it's insipid and lacking in dynamics. Put an amp between them, and both sound so much better, it's untrue.

I guess the question would be "how big is transportable"? Also, does it need to be self-powered? If I'm honest, the HEKv2 wouldn't be my first choice of a transportable headphone anyway- it's big and relatively fragile.. have you considered leaving the HEKv2 safely on a nice stand at home, and using a high quality IEM outside the home? You might like to give something like the Campfire Audio Andromeda a listen. It's sensitive to OI and also just plain sensitive, but with a suitable source, the tonal balance and resolution will rock your socks. It's very like the sound of a decent speaker setup, once you get your ears dialled in.

Sorry, this is totally off-topic for the Modi, but maybe worth thinking about.

Jan 13, 2017 at 7:43 AM Post #1,854 of 4,588

Restate - I wouldn't stack them just to warm the Mimby - stacking is OK, although it is good practice to put the hottest (same footprint) box on top.  If the Mimby is smaller than the amp, you may get away with stacking if it doesn't block any ventilation holes or make the amp hotter.  We even have some Schiitsters turn their gear sideways to save space.

I don't turn them on their sides but I prefer to call myself a Schiithead 
blink.gif
biggrin.gif

Jan 13, 2017 at 9:37 AM Post #1,855 of 4,588

Mimby has a much smaller space that Bimby inside to heat - that's why the Bimby is cooler.

Oh for sure, I totally get that.  What I meant was that I have found that the Mimby sounds consistently better when it IS warm.  Initially I stacked my Vali 2 on top of the Mimby but then wondered if the warmth coming off of the Mimby might be too much and could potentially be harmful so I decided to place the units beside one another.  Doing so certainly cooled down the Mimby (but it was still mildly warm), however my rig started to give me fairly inconsistent performance.  That nice holographic soundscape only appeared to happen once in a while instead of all of the time.  I accidentally placed a paperback novel on top of the Mimby one evening only discovering what I'd done the next morning.  The Mimby was slightly warmer (about the same as when I used to have the Vali 2 on top of it), however that wonderful holographic sound had returned.  I have since re-introduced the Vali2 back on top of the Mimby and I am now consistently getting superb sound performance from my system.

I don't know, is it coincidence that the Mimby sounds better now that it is running slightly warmer with the Vali 2 on top of it?

But here's where it gets interesting.  I also have a Bimby and it has a Jotunheim stacked on top of it.  The Bimby outer case does not radiate any heat whatsoever (unlike the Mimby).  Sound wise this setup is good but I wouldn't describe it as holographic sounding like my Mimby/Vali2.  Hence my earlier question, would the Bimby benefit sonically being slightly warmer too?

Jan 13, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #1,856 of 4,588

No, the Mojo won't cut it. To be honest, even the DAVE and HEKv2 pairing is deeply underwhelming, it's insipid and lacking in dynamics. Put an amp between them, and both sound so much better, it's untrue.

One very clear real-world fact is that classifieds are swamped with mojo's everywhere, constantly changing hands but nobody will say anything wrong coz they want their 400 bucks back lol

It takes a lot of patience and luck to find a used Mimby and owners supposedly usually only sell to upgrade to Bimby, anyway I'm expecting a Mimby and I had to get a 1.5A M2U wall-wart coz I'm in a different part of the world......let's see what the hype is all about then 
evil_smiley.gif

The 16V 115V wallwart it came with actually read 20V so the 14V M2U should be a closer match to the 16V input spec of Mimby, possibly not getting as warm as well coz extra voltage has to be turned into heat by voltage regulators I think 
very_evil_smiley.gif

It seems common sense to install it on big isolation feet so the underside would be allowed to cool down and possibly sticking a few extra heatsinks on its warmest IC's. FWIR the datasheet of those DAC chips claims that heat degrades specs as expected.

Jan 13, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #1,857 of 4,588

One very clear real-world fact is that classifieds are swamped with mojo's everywhere, constantly changing hands but nobody will say anything wrong coz they want their 400 bucks back lol

It takes a lot of patience and luck to find a used Mimby and owners supposedly usually only sell to upgrade to Bimby, anyway I'm expecting a Mimby and I had to get a 1.5A M2U wall-wart coz I'm in a different part of the world......let's see what the hype is all about then 
evil_smiley.gif

eh, I mean I do prefer my mimby to the mojo I demoed for a month, but this statement isn't really fair at all to the Mojo, which has simply been out longer.  We are, what, 4 months past the debut of MiMBy?  At 4 months into Mojo's debut you couldn't find one ANYWHERE.  I almost considered buying my review unit, so I could flip it on ebay, because at the time they were selling very close to full retail, even used.  Any piece of gear that was a FotM will flood the classifieds about 8-16 months later, as most people on here are simply addicted to getting new gear, regardless of what it sounds like.  You're starting to see lots of HD800S go up on the classifieds now after them being NOWHERE to be bought used for almost a year, those serial upgraders are getting their itch for an Ether flow, or a Utopia or whatever else. Mojo has been around for about a year and a couple of months now, which is prime time for compulsive "upgraders" to flood the market with last year's purchases.  This time next year, I expect we will see the used market flooded with MiMBies and Jotunheims.  And that's not a knock on those products, which are fantastic, but rather just the nature of people on head-fi.  Saying a product is crappy because it's being sold on head-fi a year after people bought it is like saying "dang, meth must make people's lives awesome because people sure do go through trouble to buy it."  

Jan 13, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #1,858 of 4,588
Just ordered my Mimby.  Will be pairing it with Audio-GD NFB-1AMP and Senn HD 650.  I just got my NFB-1AMP in the mail yesterday and got impatient so went ahead and ordered the mimby.  Currently using my old audiogd NFB-12 as a dac (dual Wolfson 8741), and am hoping to hear a solid improvement with mimby.  btw NFB-1AMP is a lot bigger than NFB-12.  I would have gone for the Jotunheim like so many others here but I need all of the extra inputs/outputs offered on the NFB1, as well as the output switching.

Jan 13, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #1,859 of 4,588
I'd imagine you'll hear some change from the NFB-12. I had both the Mimby and the MyDAC (which should be at least on-par with the NFB-12) hooked up to different inputs on my Soloist and used jRiver to output to both simultaneously while I switched back and forth and while in the grand scale of things the differences weren't night and day, there was a definite improvement with the Mimby. 

The soundstage was much more 3D and alive sounding. On things like the guitar solo in Fleetwood Mac - The Chain each note had just a little more to it, I don't know how to describe it really. The word I keep wanting to use is bright but not in the traditional audio sense of heightened treble, more like like visually like a solo in rockband or guitar hero where each note is a scrolling colour on a dark background, those notes seem to glow just a bit brighter and have a slightly more realistic decay. I hope that makes sense, it does in my brain but I did a lot of drugs in the 90s. 

Jan 13, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #1,860 of 4,588
Some impressions of the Modi MB vs the Jot DAC:

1) Better instrument separation
2) Slight bit more detail
3) Darker background
4) Somewhat harder hitting bass (the most surprising)

Didn't notice much change in size of the soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back