Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Jan 1, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #1,756 of 4,588
I believe they were designed to be as identical as possible (minus the upgrading). I cant hear a difference but I use them each with different amps and different headphones.

You can always get the Bifrost and send it in for upgrade too...

Well I'd they sound nearly identical, then it seems there is no clear winner.

I was considering an idsd black label as well, but since I already have an ican I'd just be using it as a dac, and rarely as a portable.

So...is there any consensus as to whether or not the mimby or bifrost dacs are superior to the idsd bl dac? I don't use any fancy formats yet, just stream "extreme" from spotify.

Jan 1, 2017 at 10:08 PM Post #1,757 of 4,588
Right on, it's just a standard. I think I'll get the modi. Which is better out of mimby or bifrost though? Subjective thoughts are aok. I'm a subbass and soundstage junky if that helps. Smooth and musical also take priority over detailed and neutral for me as well.

You should get Gumby based on your preference. Bimby, Mimby have inferior bass and soundstage compared to Gumby.

Jan 1, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #1,758 of 4,588
You should get Gumby based on your preference. Bimby, Mimby have inferior bass and soundstage compared to Gumby.

That is great to know, but way out of budget right now. I'm working on getting a th900 as pseudo-endgame headphones, but after that I'll be in a really good spot to go gumby and/or upgrade amp. I'm currently gooddacless though (fiio d03k on tap) and am really missing that little extra layer of sound quality until my big upgrade.

Jan 1, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #1,759 of 4,588
....okay, so I did it. Just ordered a modi 2 multibit. Curious to see how it compares to the modi 2 uber I just got rid of. Didn't really realize how much I missed it til it was gone. Thought I could get by with a fiio d03k for a while...but no. downgrading does not seem to be possible in this hobby unless you're a bona-fide masochist

Jan 2, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #1,760 of 4,588
....okay, so I did it. Just ordered a modi 2 multibit. Curious to see how it compares to the modi 2 uber I just got rid of. Didn't really realize how much I missed it til it was gone. Thought I could get by with a fiio d03k for a while...but no. downgrading does not seem to be possible in this hobby unless you're a bona-fide masochist

The mimby deregulated my m9xx(AK4490 same as Modi Uber?) which cost twice.Think you will happy.

Jan 2, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #1,761 of 4,588

If there's one thing I trust schiit about, it's that they aren't ripping people off.  If we are being objective about it, the whole reason you feel "ripped off" is because they aren't "ripping people off" by charging more for Modi Multibit.  But yeah, "upgradeability" was always a weird sell to me for the Bifrost.  The Yggy and GuMBy it makes sense.  The Bifrost is at the level where significant upgrades are going to cost basically the price of a new unit anyway.  It's also why I have a hard time buying the selling point of "upgradeability" on the mid level Schiit products as a selling point.  Like, yeah, sure, in two years I could pay the price of an a new DAC to use the same housing I have, but why?  

But at the same time, Schiit isn't making your Bifrost sound worse by making Modi Multibit so cheap.  It's the same great product it always was, and with any other company, you wouldn't even have to option of Modi Multibit at under $300.  Any other company almost certainly wouldn't price any of their multibit DACs below $999.  I honestly think if, say, Questyle came out with a DAC that sounded exactly like the Modi Multibit and charged $1400, people would talk about how accurately it was priced.

I have both the Bimby and Mimby....... I think the Bimby does sound better....Hands down. I gauge it like this Bimby is 25% better bass, mids about same, treble area maybe about 40 ish %. I believe the Bimby has a better optical  sound wise. I haven't compared the coaxial yet. Both are very very broken in. Both were left on for like 2 1/2 days before comparison, on the same cd player, same cables. Bimby only has the possibility to get better when upgrades are released. Mimby is what it is. Don't get me wrong I love my Mimby it blows away the ESS  Sabre DAC in my OPPO. I could live with it for good. Buy whatever you want. Both are awesome. If you buy the Mimby treat yourself to new HP or music or whatever with the extra money. If you buy the Bimby treat yourself when it gets an upgrade. People need to stop worrying about the difference, they are both amazing. Buy what you can afford and stop agonizing.

Jan 2, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #1,763 of 4,588
  I have both the Bimby and Mimby....... I think the Bimby does sound better....Hands down. I gauge it like this Bimby is 25% better bass, mids about same

The designer of those DACs says differently. I'd bet your life that you're suffering confirmation bias here to validate your purchasing decisions, and wouldn't be able to reliably pick either out in an ABX, especially over headphones.

Jan 2, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #1,764 of 4,588
Hi, I can understand it. 40% better treble means that while the Bimby is a very dark souding dac, the low-volume treble(compared to the volume of bass and mids section) has a very good quality. Just like the treble on my LCD-2 r2 
smile.gif

Btw, I have just bought a Gumby. I wil compare it to my old Mumby via several SE amplifiers and will tell you guys my thought 
smile.gif

Jan 2, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #1,766 of 4,588
  Hi, I can understand it. 40% better treble means that while the Bimby is a very dark souding dac, the low-volume treble(compared to the volume of bass and mids section) has a very good quality. Just like the treble on my LCD-2 r2 
smile.gif

Bimby = dark? It's your headphone. Bimby is 100% neutral to my ears.

Jan 2, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #1,767 of 4,588

The designer of those DACs says differently. I'd bet your life that you're suffering confirmation bias here to validate your purchasing decisions, and wouldn't be able to reliably pick either out in an ABX, especially over headphones.

Ya I bet I could ! Suffering ABX ? Nope. Validating my purchase ? Nope...guarantee you I am not. Over HP ? Yep just did it. Over my speakers bigger difference. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back