Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Sep 3, 2016 at 8:01 PM Post #993 of 4,588
Received my replacement Modi Multibit and all seems to be working fine, some initial thoughts after 4 hours warm up:-

USB via MacBook (Audirvana) = Meeeh sound lacks dynamics and detail, was regretting selling my Mojo.

Optical (Glass) via MacBook (Audirvana) = Here we go, what a lovely dynamic smooth detailed open sound, glad I sold my Mojo!

Coax via Cyrus CD T CD Transport = No words it is that good, maybe the best I have ever heard my CD's, a huge holographic sound stage and the timbre of the instruments is out of this word, listening to Dire Straits Money for Nothing album is a brand new experience!

Must admit it was nice pulling a CD of the shelf and using a proper CD transport.

Does the Multbit improve with running?

The Mimby improved dramatically after being left on (with music playing) for 48 hours. Give it time. And Schiit's multibit DACs should be left on all the time anyway for best performance.

Sep 3, 2016 at 10:48 PM Post #994 of 4,588

http://head-fi.org/a/posting-guidelines

Sep 3, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #995 of 4,588
Back to topic, again, I'm really enjoying my Modi Multibit (mimby) especially with the Jotunheim! Over and Out I guess, lol

Sep 3, 2016 at 11:33 PM Post #996 of 4,588
  Back to topic, again, I'm really enjoying my Modi Multibit (mimby) especially with the Jotunheim! Over and Out I guess, lol

In the spirit of the previous discussion:

It's just "Out". Not "Over and Out". "Out" implies "Over", therefore "Over" is not required. Over.

Sorry, Army basic training. :)

I bet that pairing is fantastic. Did you have any amp previously to compare?

I really want to hear the Modi Multibit. My wife currently has my Modi 2 Uber (you cannot fathom the joy when she one day stated how much her iPod sucked compared to the Modi/Magni stack). As my Gungnir is still a lowly Sigma Delta, until I upgrade, I don't think she will have any desire and if then, I have a Bifrost MultiBit she can use.

I really do want her to switch, I've offered my Bifrost and Asgard 2 as they are gathering dust currently.

Out.

Sep 4, 2016 at 7:40 AM Post #997 of 4,588
Long time no see, I browsed this forum a lot a couple of years ago, ended up with me buying a pair of HD800 and a Schiit Vali. Then I ran out of money.... Still using my old HRT musicstreamer 2 dac. Do you think it would be a significant update with the modi multibit? Seems like the best price/performance ratio dac out there. What do you think? 
And really, what is this multi bit thingie, when I google it all I get is fairly advanced schematics comparing multibit dacs with sigma-delta dacs etc etc which frankly is way above my head. 

Cheers! 

Sep 4, 2016 at 8:12 AM Post #999 of 4,588
  Long time no see, I browsed this forum a lot a couple of years ago, ended up with me buying a pair of HD800 and a Schiit Vali. Then I ran out of money.... Still using my old HRT musicstreamer 2 dac. Do you think it would be a significant update with the modi multibit? Seems like the best price/performance ratio dac out there. What do you think? 
And really, what is this multi bit thingie, when I google it all I get is fairly advanced schematics comparing multibit dacs with sigma-delta dacs etc etc which frankly is way above my head. 

Cheers! 

They.. don't suck. You'd be hard pressed to find something nicer for the price. I know it can be a bit of an echo chamber around here, but I'd be amazed if you didn't agree that it was worth a listen, after you've heard one. Don't they have a 15 day return policy? I'd defy you to send it back after you've been listening for a fortnight- just you try 
smily_headphones1.gif

R2R DACs are.. more complex/expensive to build, but have some advantages (I dimly recall a lack of pre/post ringing?). Implemented well, they can sound fantastic. Hell, a decent Delta/Sigma can sound nice too, if well implemented, but they really run the gamut, as they tend to be cheaper devices. A lot seems to depend on the quality of the filtering used, too. However, it really seems like all things being equal, a lot of people stop looking when they get a decent R2R DAC.

Fundamentally, the Modi Multibit is a really nice DAC, with really nice filters- and is better than you'd expect for the price. I suspect it's one of those "trickle down" things where the bulk of the R+D has already been paid for by more expensive products, and by designing a smaller, less expensive version with many of the advantages of their older flagship multibits, Schiit are making hay, and savvy buyers are getting a stonkingly good deal.

If you want to be even more bewildered, here's a thread which shows the Mimby measuring very nicely indeed:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/817404/modi-mb-technical-measurements

If I might be allowed to be a little hand-wavy and subjective for a moment, I'd like to say that mine sounds bloody lovely; I had a little buyer's remorse initially, and then I did some serious listening... Depending on how good a critical listener you are, and how good your amp and headphones are, you might benefit even more from one of the pricier units- but the differences really will start to become slight between them as the amount of money that you hemorrhage increases. The Mimby is quite the price/performance sweet spot for many people. I'm fairly confident that it's a better DAC than your old HRT.

There are a few good posts in this thread, if you're still curious about D/S vs RtoR:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/779572/r2r-multibit-vs-delta-sigma-is-there-a-measurable-scientific-difference-thats-audible

Sep 4, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #1,000 of 4,588

Cheers! 

My opinion is that the Modi multibit beats any non Schiit DAC for less than $1k unless you need XLR output. The Only delta sigma DACs left in my house are Squeezebox Transporters and the Gustard x12. The rest have been given away to relatives. My wife will not let me get rid of the Transporters. She likes the mellow British sound.

Sep 4, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #1,002 of 4,588
In my opinion, Mimby is a bang for the buck if u using a neutral/ detail or a little bit bright headphones. Such as HD800 or stax 407 507. The music is more realistic, and provide wonderful texture.
But if u using a dark headphones. I think a delta sigma dac is a wiser option. Like hd650 or lcd2. The sound stage is so narrow. Some of my friends tell me that some 9018dac or ak4490 dac is better than the mimby. And their headphone have this same dark sound sign. Even me prefer an odac or an aune x1s to mimby when im plug in my dt880. Cuz its make sound stage seem too thin. Of course when compare to a HD800.

Sep 4, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #1,003 of 4,588
But if u using a dark headphones. I think a delta sigma dac is a wiser option. Like hd650 or lcd2. The sound stage is so narrow. Some of my friends tell me that some 9018dac or ak4490 dac is better than the mimby. And their headphone have this same dark sound sign. Even me prefer an odac or an aune x1

Not sure I agree, I prefer the Mimby to D/S DACs on my HD650. Of course, newer revision adequately amped 650 are a lot less "dark" than many people remember. Heck, I find myself using the Mojo in the chain with the 650 a lot less now, too, even.

Sep 4, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #1,005 of 4,588

R2R DACs are.. more complex/expensive to build, but have some advantages (I dimly recall a lack of pre/post ringing?).

Ringing has nothing to do with R-2R and everything to do with the digital filter. Schiit's filters are a linear phase design that exhibit both pre and post ringing. Whether that's audible is up for debate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back